Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 15 Aug 2011 (Monday) 17:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pissed off and venting ;)

Amamba
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 15, 2011 17:28 |  #1

Well, I just want to let some steam out...

I put my Tamron lens up for sale a few weeks back. Several people called, including this woman who offered me $50 less than what I asked (and I priced it to sell). I politely told her the lens was worth more. She says it's a gift from her boyfriend and she has to get his OK before spending this kind of money, then disappears. (Accidentally I had another girl call with almost the same exact story ;) ).

A day or two later, I sell the lens for the full asking price. Three days after that, I get a call from that girl who tells me she's got the extra $50. Upon hearing that the lens has been sold, she sort of gasps for air for a sec, then accuses me of (1) lying to her (2) getting her in trouble (3) being a dishonest lying f#ck... at which point I told her to get lost and hung up.

Now, this is not a 5 years old - she's at least in her mid-20s and sounds as a fairly well educated person... WTF with that "You owe me" attitude ?!

A good lesson - never give anyone your phone # when selling on Craigslist, tell them to email only.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

sponsored links
bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 15, 2011 18:24 |  #2

I recently was reminded of a similar situation I had in a retail store: I had a woman interested in a camera, but she gave no indication of buying it right away (she said she was interested, and "may be back," but in the retail world - especially these days - you have to think of that as a non-sale).

A few minutes later, after I had the same camera (the last one on hand that day) sold to another customer, the woman came back in wanting the camera. Upon informing her that I didn't have any more, but could point her to another of our stores that had one, or get one shipped in easily enough, she started to get flustered and wonder how I could have done that to her? I sold "her" camera to someone else..

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

equach206
307 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 15, 2011 18:28 |  #3

For me, I've mostly dealt with Cragislist on a first come/first serve basis, both for buying and selling. I understand if someone replied first or is able to meet up first, and most people I have sold to have also understood that the first to reply/be available to meet will get the item.

You haven't done anything wrong here especially since she never responded after the first offer. She just has to understand that business is business and the first person to make the deal will get the item.

5D | 50D | 60 f/2.8 Macro | 85 f/1.8 | 17-40 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 430EX
Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

MilesW
240 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 15, 2011 18:31 |  #4

I have done the craigslist thing and never give a phone number. I have listed items only to receive much lower offers. I do not respond to them. I hate selling used equipment of any sort. People only want something for nothing. By the same token I will not offer a lower price to any one selling something. I look at it decide if it is worth the asking price to me if not I move on. This is how everyone should buy and sell.

20D Canon EFS 17-85IS, 70-2001:4 L IS, Macro 100 F2.8, Canon 50 1.4Canon ext EF 1.4X II

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 15, 2011 19:08 |  #5

Mean people s(ck.

Next time, tell here that she is exactly right. You sat up awake late at night carefully crafting a detailed plan exclusively to her detriment.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

TGrundvig
Goldmember
2,876 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 15, 2011 19:15 |  #6

I think it is always best to have a 'first one with the cash gets it' in your ad. That way, you make it sound like you aren't going to wait for anyone. It will motivate the legit people, or at the very least get them to ask you for a window of time to make a decision.

1Ds Mk II, 1D Mk II, 50D, 40D, XT (for my son), 17-40L, 24-105L, Bigma 50-500 EX DG, Sigma 150 Macro EX DG, Tokina 12-24 AT-X, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 28-300 (for my son), 580ex II, 430ex II

KandJinIN
317 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 15, 2011 19:20 |  #7

MilesW wrote in post #12941286 (external link)
I have done the craigslist thing and never give a phone number. I have listed items only to receive much lower offers. I do not respond to them. I hate selling used equipment of any sort. People only want something for nothing. By the same token I will not offer a lower price to any one selling something. I look at it decide if it is worth the asking price to me if not I move on. This is how everyone should buy and sell.

My mom, my mother-in-law, my wife, my sister, and most everyone that I know, when they price a used item to sell (for instance, in a garage sale) they price it higher, with the understanding that in the used world, almost everyone wants to "get a deal." So they will ask to knock a dollar off, and they know that it is still in the realm of what they would willingly sell the item for they pull the trigger. Both people walk out happy.

They do this because they know that the vast majority of people take a look at a used item price and tries to figure out what a fair offer is, how far below asking price can they get said item. I don't think there is a wrong or a right way to buy used, but I don't think there is a should be way either.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 15, 2011 20:44 |  #8

Amamba wrote in post #12940973 (external link)
A day or two later, I sell the lens for the full asking price. Three days after that, I get a call from that girl who tells me she's got the extra $50. Upon hearing that the lens has been sold, she sort of gasps for air for a sec, then accuses me of (1) lying to her (2) getting her in trouble (3) being a dishonest lying f#ck... at which point I told her to get lost and hung up.

She needs anger management..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Hollywoodgt
971 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 15, 2011 21:02 as a reply to  @ yogestee's post |  #9

It's the nature of the beast. I think especially on Craig's list. I had a women, well at least she had a pic of a average women in her profile pic when she responded. She was selling a 50D, bag, zoom lens, 430EC flash, Grip batteries. Pretty much to good to be true for $900.00. Well I contacted her, ad said she's deliver and so on. I start sending questions, how old, shutter count etc. Normally not getting a complete answer. Long story shorts, she tells me to stop bugging her, she didn't want to sell to me.

Might have been the second E-mail when I explained I was X law enforcement and didn't want to get jerked around if this was a Craig's list scam......must have screwed them up?

www.Jeffreyantonphotog​raphy.com (external link) http://www.modelmayhem​.com/jeffreyanton (external link)
Bodies:5D Infared 5D MK II/5D MKIII 4 Travellites 750R
18=55mm/55-250mm/50mm Ef1.8/70-200 ef2.8L IS II/85mm 1.2L II/24-70mm 2.8L II/16-35mm 2.8L II 2X Ext II
(3) 430EX/(3) remotes/2umbrellas plus assortment of defusers

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 15, 2011 21:30 |  #10

I always clarify, if the buyer indicates a reason for delay, that money talks and the item could be sold. They are always ok with that. I am sure if I gave the impression it could still be around and then it wasn't, they would be a little upset, I guess.

Always better to overcommunicate things. Unfortunately, normal communication doesn't work. It necessitates assumption and that never seems to end well.

A9 | A7R3 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

Gomar
527 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 15, 2011 22:24 |  #11

I had an issue in reverse. I was talking to a dude about buying his car. So he gives me his address, I tell him I'll be over in 1hr. I get there, some guy is talking to the seller who tells me he sold it to the 1st person who got there. He explained that he does not know whether I will show up, so he tells everyone to come over. A waste of my time for sure. can I sue this elbastardo for selling "my" car and wasting my time?

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,359 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 15, 2011 22:44 |  #12

Gomar wrote in post #12942521 (external link)
can I sue this elbastardo for selling "my" car and wasting my time?

I'm sure you could swing a dead cat and hit 20 lawyers who would take the case in a heartbeat.

Can you win is the real question...

Unfortunately in today's society I would give you better than 50/50 odds that you actually would win.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,954 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Aug 15, 2011 23:34 |  #13

mbellot wrote in post #12942627 (external link)
I'm sure you could swing a dead cat and hit 20 lawyers

was the cat injured in any way? ;)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

YamahaRob
571 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 16, 2011 01:03 |  #14

If you MUST leave a phone number, use one of the pre-paid ones you can just toss. (I have one form boostmobile just for this).

private party sales should always be considered who's there first with the cash gets the item. Gomar, on the other hand, how many times do you think he has someone call and say they were coming out and never show? When a friend was selling his truck he had 20 people call and say they were coming over to look at it. NO ONE SHOWED each time. Not even so much as a call from them saying "Sorry, I wont be able to look at it". Not to mention the one that he skipped out of dinner with his parents just to wait for the guy to show.

Was selling a paintball gun kit on C/L for $125 and some inbred kid emails me saying "I'll give you $25 and I'll be over to pick it up". Sent him an email saying its $125 not, $25. Got another smart ass reply from him ORDERING me to sell it to him for $25. Sent him an email back with a picture of my desert eagle from the business end. Didnt get a reply from that. I think he got the hint.:lol:

Rob
Nikon D300
Canon AE-1P (it becomes digital when pics are scanned in with a scanner:lol:)

mk3supraholic
97 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 16, 2011 01:28 |  #15

Gomar wrote in post #12942521 (external link)
I had an issue in reverse. I was talking to a dude about buying his car. So he gives me his address, I tell him I'll be over in 1hr. I get there, some guy is talking to the seller who tells me he sold it to the 1st person who got there. He explained that he does not know whether I will show up, so he tells everyone to come over. A waste of my time for sure. can I sue this elbastardo for selling "my" car and wasting my time?

when i was looking for an s2000 i drove a good 200 miles to go look at one i called to tell the guy how long it would take for me to get there he said fine. as im getting off the exit i call again to get detailed directions and he tells me he just sold it!!! i was like wtf dude you knew i was coming down here. well needless to say i drove around the city till i found one at a dealer and bought it :) i actually got a better deal too

[1D MarkII] | 50mm 1.8 | 75-300mm F4-5.6 :confused:

sponsored links

4,930 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pissed off and venting ;)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.