Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 16 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 03:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Skin tones muted too much?

NickRadford
107 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 16, 2011 03:10 |  #1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Can't seem to get my skin tones the way I want them.

This set seems flat :\

Thoughts?

Nick-Radford.com (external link)

sponsored links
kathfern
541 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 16, 2011 03:31 |  #2

Hi Nick - I am only an amateur myself, so don't really have any advise to give, but do love the composition of this photo. My only issue is the top left/middle appears quite blown out.

Kathy - 5D III : 60D : 24 2.8 : 50 1.4 : 24-105L : 100 2.8 USM Macro : 40 2.8 : 430EXii
Web (external link)

Facebook (external link)

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 16, 2011 03:33 |  #3

What have you done to it so far? It might help if you turn on IMAGE EDITING OK in your profile.

David

David

NickRadford
THREAD ­ STARTER
107 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 16, 2011 03:36 |  #4

Oh yeah totally, all of the sky is blown out actually.

I typically expose for skin, and with the huge amount of dynamic range outdoors, most of my photos, that aren't completely shaded, are going to have some areas blown out, unless I'm either A) Shooting HDR, which is never the case. or 2) Shoot silhouettes of the couple and exposing for the sky (rarely)

^^
Longest sentence ever. Ha.

NickRadford
THREAD ­ STARTER
107 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 16, 2011 03:41 |  #5

Ran it through a highly modified Fuji Reala preset in ASE3.

Basically muted highlights and shadows.

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,545 posts
Gallery: 238 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 16, 2011 03:57 |  #6

This whole shot is over-exposed, By "muting" you made everything a bit grey... I think this is not a "keeper".
In bright conditions, when shooting people use fill flash! That will reduce the extremes in the dynamic range and preserves your skin tones - albeit with some past-processing to get the colour temperature right.

I am not really impressed by the composition. The couple is too centred in the frame, something is growing out the girls head. And they are too small in the frame to make them the main subject in the shot.
Try again, mate!

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

NickRadford
THREAD ­ STARTER
107 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 16, 2011 04:32 |  #7

Yeah, not really lookin' for comp tips.

Thanks tho.

If you have any suggestions concerning processing, on how to grab a little more depth from the skin tones, I'm all ears.

mrbubbles
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 16, 2011 06:08 |  #8

NickRadford wrote in post #12943692 (external link)
Yeah, not really lookin' for comp tips.

Thanks tho.

If you have any suggestions concerning processing, on how to grab a little more depth from the skin tones, I'm all ears.

The shot out of the camera ruined alot of hope to recover this photo. As Henk said. Fill flash would have been your best bet.

Gear List
Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Ranie ­ Dib
408 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 16, 2011 12:31 |  #9

Agreed, too much processing. Can't be saved by PP I guess, unless you let let the sky be blown out, which is alright sometimes as long as the composition/subject is good/interesting.

www.raniedib.com (external link)

Bryan ­ Grant ­ Photography
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 16, 2011 12:50 |  #10

i would first use a flash to balance the exposure. if that is not what you want to do and if you have lightroom 3 u can use the graduated filter and just add saturation and more exposure to just the top half of the pic

"canon---- there is no substitute"
My photography Blog (external link)

NickRadford
THREAD ­ STARTER
107 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 16, 2011 15:14 |  #11

Seems that instead of trying to answer the question posed, everyone decided to offer me suggestions of what they wouldv'e done when shooting it.

I understand that everyone sees a subject differently, everyone composes differently, everyone lights differently. None inherently better than the other.

That's the problem with the current breed of aspiring photographers (for the most part)

Creativity has been stripped in a pursuit of "doing things by the book"

Boring.

I've thrown that methodology out and have been able to go full time.

Nothing has exploded my business like tossing out the rules and shooting for me.

Maybe I worded my question to broadly,

Does anyone know how to modify a certain level on the tone curve palette within ASE3?

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,545 posts
Gallery: 238 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 16, 2011 15:39 |  #12

NickRadford wrote in post #12946546 (external link)
<snip>
I've thrown that methodology out and have been able to go full time.

Nothing has exploded my business like tossing out the rules and shooting for me.

Maybe I worded my question to broadly,

Does anyone know how to modify a certain level on the tone curve palette within ASE3?

If you are such a professional then why ask the question in the first place - especially about a shot that is quite obviously beyond salvage..... :)

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

emelvee
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 16, 2011 15:58 as a reply to  @ vk2gwk's post |  #13

Even if you shot RAW, looks like the picture is quite blown. The only thing I could suggest is cropping so that the couple is on the left side of the frame (so getting rid of the very top part and right part). If you had Image Editing Okay I could show you what I mean ...

Canon 6D | 70-200 f/2.8 I | 50mm f/1.4 | 16-35mm f/2.8 II | 580EX II x 2
Tumblr (external link)

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 16, 2011 16:00 as a reply to  @ vk2gwk's post |  #14

kathfern wrote in post #12943554 (external link)
don't really have any advise to give, but do love the composition of this photo.

vk2gwk wrote in post #12943593 (external link)
I am not really impressed by the composition. The couple is too centred in the frame, something is growing out the girls head. And they are too small in the frame to make them the main subject in the shot.

?????????

David

Ranie ­ Dib
408 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 16, 2011 16:23 |  #15

vk2gwk wrote in post #12946671 (external link)
If you are such a professional then why ask the question in the first place - especially about a shot that is quite obviously beyond salvage..... :)

I agree.

Instead of running it in a Reala Preset, if you want to go Black and White, run it through a Ilford Pan F preset (I use Silver Efex).

www.raniedib.com (external link)

sponsored links

2,581 views & 0 likes for this thread
Skin tones muted too much?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.