Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Someone is trying to tell me something

Greenjacket6202
203 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 16, 2011 13:48 |  #31

Canonswhitelensesrule wrote in post #12945842 (external link)
Just to play devil's advocate...there is NOTHING WRONG with owning, and WANTING, yes WANTING - not NEEDING, nice, expensive "toys". Be they camera equipment, a nice car, good clothes, whatever.

Be PROUD - DAMN PROUD - To be a GEARHEAD!!

Lens/Equipment LUST is a beautiful thing!!

A person doesn't ALWAYS have to justify each and every thing, or purchase they do/make.

Sometimes a person HAS to say "What The F**k" and just DO IT!!

Remember, you ONLY LIVE ONCE, and you CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU!!

Relax, live a little, and stop worrying about every little thing people!

Absolutely 100% agree!

sponsored links
kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,434 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 16, 2011 13:57 as a reply to  @ post 12945343 |  #32

Couple hundred shots for entire vacation with kids and two cameras?
OP, please send me PM, once you'll put 5d on sale.
If I'm out with kids for couple of hours, two hundred is not even average for me.
I have 500d and 5dc, like both of them, was looking for general use lens for Rebel and Sigma 17-70 was in the list. I'm lurking to archive thread for this lens and something turns me off every time.
I wish to be as lucky as OP is, my wife will be so happy if I stay with Rebel and some not so expensive lenses.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Mr. ­ Pick
441 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 16, 2011 14:04 as a reply to  @ Greenjacket6202's post |  #33

I'm happy with my T2i and the lenses I have for now. Now if I could only quit buying bags, I can't stop buying bags!! :rolleyes:

60D / EOS Elan / 15-85 IS USM / 70-200 f4L IS / 50 1.4 / 430ex / Fujifilm X100s / Slik U-212 (a genuine antique, like me....)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 16, 2011 14:07 |  #34

You Needed A Camera
You Wanted The 5DMkII

Needs and Wants never really peacefully co-exist.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

crcal
808 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 16, 2011 14:59 as a reply to  @ FlyingPhotog's post |  #35

I downgraded my body and lenses because I wasn't using them enough to justify having thou$and$ tied up in 5DII and L glass. I'm happy that this is a hobby where if you buy used equipment, you don't lose money when it's time to sell.

Calvin
Converted to Sony A7 and love it | Gear & Feedback

mileslong24
508 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 16, 2011 17:24 |  #36

Willie wrote in post #12946016 (external link)
I stopped taking pictures at my daughter's gymnastics meets because I was so into getting the shot that I missed the routines. Now I just video tape them.

So true!!! I actually have this problem in any scenario I shoot, and not just my daughters gymnastics. I get so into trying to get shots I forget to enjoy myself. On vacations, I just dedicate set time to go shoot and try and leave the camera in the bag the rest of the time.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 16, 2011 17:39 |  #37

Nicheplayer wrote in post #12944899 (external link)
Just back from vacation with my kids (and my 5DMKII, 17-40, 100mm macro, Sigma 70-200, XTi, and Sigma 17-70), and of the couple hundred shots I took, one of my favorites was taken with the XTi and the 100mm macro. I understand this is bound to happen, but I start to wonder...what the hell am I doing with all this pricey gear, when 95% of what I shoot could be shot with the XTi, the Sigma 17-70, and the 100mm? I don't print, and I don't take photos for other people, so I'm finding it more and more difficult to justify having the 5DMKII around. Is this just crazy talk? Do I need to take a few deep breaths and slow down? Should I feel insane for even considering selling the MKII?

The question that comes to mind here is this: the ones that were your favorite, were they your favorite because of the subject matter or did you find them just as technically good as your more expensive body/lens could have done? If they were your fav because of the subject matter, don't thank your Xti. If they were your favorite because you feel that the IQ was just as good as the 5d, subject matter be damned, then you have a valid point.

NOW, going on that assumption, that you feel the IQ of both cameras/lenses are the same, would they hold up to the scrutiny of a more learned set of photographic eyes? Would a majority of learned photographers agree that yes, they are both technically speaking, comparable? (Not that it matters, YOU have the only opinion that counts, but don't miss my point.) I bring that up because it often happens that once you have some miles under the metaphorical photographic bridge, you might look back one day and say, "Really, did I used to think that was great photography?" I certainly know that I have said that about some of my past work. and to hear my family go on and on, you'd have thought I was Annie Leibowitz. I know better now.

Perhaps you already have the expertise, experience etc. to make a valid judgement that Yes, these two photos are technically equal, and I don't need a 5DII when I can take just as good photographs with an XTi. Many, many people CAN do that, and do that regularly. I'm just asking you if you have clarity on that point or have you not looked at things from the perspective I'm offering. If so, sell the 5dII and enjoy taking pictures. Use the money on another vacation, cuz you and your family will enjoy experiences over things when they look back over their lifetime.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

Elisha
577 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 16, 2011 17:47 |  #38

One of my favourite photographers uses a XTi.
Her pics can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ravengirlstudio​s/ (external link)

Not everything is there cause she doesn't have a Pro account!

Nikon D750
flickr (external link)

jase1125
Goldmember
3,027 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2010

Aug 16, 2011 17:53 |  #39

Nicheplayer wrote in post #12944899 (external link)
Just back from vacation with my kids (and my 5DMKII, 17-40, 100mm macro, Sigma 70-200, XTi, and Sigma 17-70), and of the couple hundred shots I took, one of my favorites was taken with the XTi and the 100mm macro. I understand this is bound to happen, but I start to wonder...what the hell am I doing with all this pricey gear, when 95% of what I shoot could be shot with the XTi, the Sigma 17-70, and the 100mm? I don't print, and I don't take photos for other people, so I'm finding it more and more difficult to justify having the 5DMKII around. Is this just crazy talk? Do I need to take a few deep breaths and slow down? Should I feel insane for even considering selling the MKII?

Get rid of the 5DII. It will depreciate continually and if it isn't providing a return on investment then stop while you are ahead.

Jason

Nicheplayer
THREAD ­ STARTER
64 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 17, 2011 12:47 |  #40

Maybe it's time to finally take up homebrewing. I wonder if the missus will find that hobby of mine any more...palatable. :)

Xcelx
558 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 17, 2011 13:09 |  #41

After posting in the thread "how much have you spent..." and really starting to think about how much I'd spent the last 2 years and I was a bit shocked. I only take photos for myself and it's purely a hobby for me. I came to the conclusion I really don't need my 100-400mm although it was spot on and had superb image quality. I couldn't justify having it since I don't make any money from it and the old 55-250mm does just fine for me, it's no L alright but very good value. The good thing is, I bought the 100-400 pretty cheap, still under warranty and I ended up with a nice profit from selling it :)

I take 20k photos a year but I rarely print. Now I'm actually considering selling my 17-55mm as well but it's such a good lens and I use it a lot. I think I'll hang on to it for now.

sponsored links

3,783 views & 0 likes for this thread
Someone is trying to tell me something
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.