Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Aug 2011 (Monday) 15:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New member needs help with an XSi

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,556 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 11, 2011 20:53 |  #46

If that's the shutter, then the camera is well and truly screwed. I'm surprised the camera can even take photos like that!

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

sponsored links
philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 11, 2011 22:30 |  #47

Tiberius47 wrote in post #12919790 (external link)
If that's the shutter, then the camera is well and truly screwed. I'm surprised the camera can even take photos like that!

He had probably come to that conclusion by about post #22 which is why he's talking about getting another body.

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 12, 2011 10:15 |  #48

Carlwashere wrote in post #12919496 (external link)
Whatever they say, you won't be disappointed in the Canon T2i. :)
It's a great little camera.
I don't plan on upgrading mine until I see a 70D.
Even then, I'd probably still use this little camera if I don't think it's worth the upgrade.

that would be my choice for a price/performance upgrade from an XSi (assuming the OP is satisfied with the 3.5 fps of the Rebel line)
latest sensor, HD video etc.

tigersharkdude
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 12, 2011 11:06 |  #49

watt100 wrote in post #12922621 (external link)
that would be my choice for a price/performance upgrade from an XSi (assuming the OP is satisfied with the 3.5 fps of the Rebel line)
latest sensor, HD video etc.

T2i is on its way :D

Im more than happy with 3.5, Im not a pro..I dont make any money doing this. So I dont need $1400 camera. When I realized mine was pretty much shot, I decided on a T2i or 60D, photo and video, and after comparing them I couldnt justify the $270 more. Now if this was my profession I would have just saved up for something nicer, but its not so I settled for something close to my current but with video...the T2i

T2i4me
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 12, 2011 11:35 |  #50

After owning a T2i for about 3 months now I am pleased with the purchase. It's easy to use, easy to cary and has far more capability than I at producing excellent images. You give and take on all the different camera bodies, but for basic amature use it's an excellent value. And most important no harm in upgarding later if you find it's not meeting your needs. The key is getting out and using it and developing your talent which is far more important than the body at this juncture.

Good luck and happy shooting!

-- Eric --
5DC - T2i - 100-400 L IS - 70-200 F4 L - 17-40 L - EF 85 1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 15-85 IS - EF-S 60 macro - 430EX II

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 12, 2011 15:22 |  #51

tigersharkdude wrote in post #12922886 (external link)
T2i is on its way :D

Im more than happy with 3.5, Im not a pro..I dont make any money doing this. So I dont need $1400 camera. When I realized mine was pretty much shot, I decided on a T2i or 60D, photo and video, and after comparing them I couldnt justify the $270 more. Now if this was my profession I would have just saved up for something nicer, but its not so I settled for something close to my current but with video...the T2i

right, the price of the older T2i looks attractive, gives you more to spend on lens!

tigersharkdude
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 16, 2011 15:15 |  #52

I'm a happy camper :D Also, this is a cell phone pic

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i281.photobucke​t.com …09_32965647_193​5359_n.jpg (external link)

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 16, 2011 16:07 |  #53

tigersharkdude wrote in post #12946558 (external link)
I'm a happy camper :D Also, this is a cell phone pic

For the love of all things holy, please do me a favor and take off the UV filter. I can't plead enough :cry:. Speaking from personal experience with that same filter.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

tigersharkdude
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 16, 2011 16:31 |  #54

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #12946798 (external link)
For the love of all things holy, please do me a favor and take off the UV filter. I can't plead enough :cry:. Speaking from personal experience with that same filter.

Why? Only reason it was on there was just to keep from damaging the glass. I just got the polarizer a few weeks ago (left the old one in ATL)

Also, how do you like that 17-40L ?

Carlwashere
330 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 16, 2011 16:55 |  #55

Probably because that's not a high-end filter set.
Cheap filter = damaged IQ

I use B&W filters. So I am a filters guy. :)
Having both a CPL and a UV stacked is a bit redundant. Use only one at a time for best IQ.

I do recommend higher end filters also. And YAY T2i!

-Canon T2i- -Tammy 17-50 non-VC- -50 f1.4- -100 f2.8 macro- -85 f1.8-
-Pentax SP1000- -SMC Takumar 55 f2- -Takumar 28 f3.5- -Vivitar 135 f2.8-

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 16, 2011 16:56 |  #56

tigersharkdude wrote in post #12946915 (external link)
Why? Only reason it was on there was just to keep from damaging the glass. I just got the polarizer a few weeks ago (left the old one in ATL)

Realize that even if you scratch/dent/shatter the front element, a defect will likely not show up in your pictures unless it's the most extreme of circumstances. Also realize that it's very difficult to scratch/nick the glass, even on an inexpensive lens like that.

"Protective filter" rhetoric aside, the Tristar is a piece of garbage. It's more useful as a frisbee than as a filter. Ignorant me picked up one when I first bought my XT, and kept it on there for years. Eventually someone said you might try taking it off, and I was astounded. Just by removing that one little piece of garbage, my images were brighter, crisper, sharper, and had more contrast. That experience has obviously impacted my view of "protective" filters in general, but still. The filter is garbage, and all it can do is hurt your shots.

The Quantaray isn't much better - but because it actually has an effect on the shots you take, it still has a purpose. I would smash the Tristar filter in a heartbeat.

tigersharkdude wrote in post #12946915 (external link)
Also, how do you like that 17-40L ?

Absolutely love it.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

tigersharkdude
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 16, 2011 17:40 |  #57

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #12947023 (external link)
Realize that even if you scratch/dent/shatter the front element, a defect will likely not show up in your pictures unless it's the most extreme of circumstances. Also realize that it's very difficult to scratch/nick the glass, even on an inexpensive lens like that.

"Protective filter" rhetoric aside, the Tristar is a piece of garbage. It's more useful as a frisbee than as a filter. Ignorant me picked up one when I first bought my XT, and kept it on there for years. Eventually someone said you might try taking it off, and I was astounded. Just by removing that one little piece of garbage, my images were brighter, crisper, sharper, and had more contrast. That experience has obviously impacted my view of "protective" filters in general, but still. The filter is garbage, and all it can do is hurt your shots.

The Quantaray isn't much better - but because it actually has an effect on the shots you take, it still has a purpose. I would smash the Tristar filter in a heartbeat.

Absolutely love it.

Cool, I will try it out.

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 16, 2011 19:39 |  #58

You might find these two articles useful
http://kurtmunger.com/​dirty_lens_articleid35​.html (external link)
and
http://www.lensrentals​.com …0/front-element-scratches (external link)

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

AntonLargiader
Goldmember
2,185 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 17, 2011 08:56 |  #59

I think you'll really like the T2i. Much better ISO range and DIGIC4. And the Quick button - I don't see how I'd ever want to be without it! My neighbor has an XSi and I couldn't believe that there was no such functionality on it.

When you mentioned shooting at the track I was thinking that a 7D would be the obvious way to go, but you'd be into it for at least $11xx (for refurb and CLP) which is a lot more than you spent.

Image editing and C&C always OK
Gear list plus: EF 1.4X II . TT1/TT5 . Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 w/3265 ball-mount

sponsored links

4,730 views & 0 likes for this thread
New member needs help with an XSi
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.