Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Aug 2011 (Friday) 16:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Low Booking Rate, even my Contests Fail

this thread is locked
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 15, 2011 17:45 |  #61

Tawcan wrote in post #12940542 (external link)
True but the OP mentioned band portraits and wedding. Not sure how much wedding the OP is doing but for portraits what OP has is sufficient.

All the comments regarding insufficient gear have been related to the OP wanting to do weddings and charging $1000 a time to do them. They have also been trying to get taken on as a second shooter by several other wedding photograqphers. At $1000, you have to deliver good results.

As for portrait work, the camera gear is adequate but I wouldn't consider the 55-250 a great portrait lens, but it will do an OK job I grant you. However, the OP has no lighting gear so is reliant on available light. Where are they shooting, no studio means at home, or the client's home, or on location. If indoors at either home, they will be very limited using window light, especially as they haven't mentioned reflectors in the kit either. Yes, you can cobble a string and gaffer tape reflector outfit up for not much money, but how will that look to someone being charged $250 for the session? At that price I would expect to see some decent lighting gear.

I know that a good photographer will be able to take a shot in the window, for example, that looks great with no lighting gear. What if the client says they want the shots stood by their prized antique fireplace and the only lighting is a 100w bulb hanging from the ceiling?

What if you're on location and need fill lighting, or a 6 foot diffuser panel to deal with the harsh natural light? What if the background is messy and needs throwing right out of focus, will f/5.6 do the job, or will they need a decent f/1.8 portrait lens?

A good photographer can, I agree, take great shots with almost any gear. They have to work within the limits of that gear though, take shots that suit it's strengths and forget about shots which show it's weaknesses. That is easy when you are calling the shots for your own work, you choose a place and time that the lighting is just right for what you want. When you have paying clients though, you need to have what it takes to shoot what they want, where they want and when they want most of the time. That is when you need to bring out the lighting rigs and reflectors etc.

sponsored links
LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 16, 2011 02:09 |  #62

i think that we can stop posting here now, its obvious the OP has gone never to be seen again

View My Flickr (external link)

mritchy
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 16, 2011 05:00 |  #63

Sorry. No wedding work to show means no jobs to book. End of story. Go second shoot for some photographers if you don't have enough of a portfolio. That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever hear. $1,000 may be cheap relative to market-driven prices, but it's still $1,000.

Mr. Itchy
14L II, 17L TS-E, 35L, 24-70L II, 45 TS-E, 90 Macro, 50L, 85 1.8, 70-200L II, 200 f/2L

1Dx, 5D III, 6D
Weddings-Real Estate (external link)

mritchy
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 16, 2011 05:02 |  #64

Also, you never push someone to book you. That's basic bad business right there. No portfolio and the thought that you should have pushed the groom to book? I'd find that second job you were thinking of.

Mr. Itchy
14L II, 17L TS-E, 35L, 24-70L II, 45 TS-E, 90 Macro, 50L, 85 1.8, 70-200L II, 200 f/2L

1Dx, 5D III, 6D
Weddings-Real Estate (external link)

Choopi
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 16, 2011 17:38 |  #65

I have read all the responses and I am saddened by many of them, I actually thought that people here would be more kind than they have shown in this particular thread. Especially since some of the responses from people here have not even read all of my own posts to know certain facts; that I have lighting and reflectors, umbrellas, etc.

Some people are hooked on my lack of having extra/backup gear. I would then rent where applicable. It is unfortunate for so many to be so narrow minded and assumptive.

quiksquirrel wrote in post #12929934 (external link)
I couldn't care less about your financial situation. Money is not what makes me respect people. But if you want to play with the pros, you NEED to invest. If you can't/won't do that, than this is not the business for you.

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #12926630 (external link)
Sorry OP but you have a lot to learn. I suggest if you are so broke you go back to working in the bank for now. Save up and buy at least the minimum equipment you need to start out. In your free time develop a relevant portfolio. Then think about starting over.

Being new does not equal inadequate, as if to say that because I'm just starting out and in a position to take very small steps forward that I have no place in the photography business at all. Shame on you. Everyone has to start somewhere.

SOK wrote in post #12927242 (external link)
Share your website.

You're worried about sale conversion ratio but dodging an awesome opportunity improve your SEO by back-linking your site...?

The people here can and will help - but you're not making it easy for them.

It doesn't improve SEO to the extent you're talking.

sandpiper wrote in post #12932093 (external link)
However, getting huge compliments from those around you means absolutely nothing.

People you know will always say nice things to encourage you.

I see many people post images on this site that are 'nice' but nothing special, and even some that have glaring deficiencies, get responses like "wow", "awesome set", "amazing images" when the reality is they are pretty ordinary, not up to a professional standard and not saleable.

I am aware family and friends are biased, but I don't market to family and friends. However, I have some family and friends who are very good at critique and providing constructive criticism that have helped me a great deal.

And, no offense, but you have described your work perfectly with your last paragraph.

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #12930480 (external link)
:rolleyes:

In case you haven't realised yet your "product" is your photography. It is a tad hard to give someone business advice without knowing it the product is actually any good :rolleyes: Unless of course we rely on your own self appraisal which is incredibly glowing...

Incidentally what you tell yourself means nothing if it isn't in touch with what the rest of the world thinks.

BreitlingFan wrote in post #12932543 (external link)
Well, when you give them nothing to work with, it's not to be unexpected. You say you want business advice. Well, providing examples of your work here (which casn easily be done without surrendering your anonymity) would go a long way in compelling people to do that. If you're not willing to show your work, why should someone be compelled to provide you advice?

You say you don't want to share your work with those who are unfriendly and unprofessional, or with those who jump to conclusions. Well, to be frank, it's pretty apparent you don't want to share your work with anyone.

Kinda' difficult to get "real advice" if you don't do that...

With all do respect, you (the general 'you') would not need to know a thing about the quality of a product in order to make is sound appealing. Take infomercials, for instance. Crap products are sold worldwide everyday to tens of thousands of people. Why? Because they know how to market. Doesn't matter if it's crap, sell it! Even evangelists make millions selling only faith; not a service or a product. Now I am NOT saying my services and products are crap, nor would it be a smart move on my part to not strive for better and best. But to ask anything about the quality of my work in order to offer sound advice, well... I guess it's pretty safe to assume that some of you can't/won't help.

Roy Mathers wrote in post #12931947 (external link)
I see no valid reason why the OP shouldn't post some of her pictures here, or tell us the address of her web site.

Privacy is valid reason enough. Those who have been helpful (which is subjective, btw) and asked politely have been given a link.

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #12932806 (external link)
Word of mouth is by far and away is one of the most valuable marketing tools available... and it is free too.

100% of my bookings have come from word-of-mouth, as stated in a previous post.

mritchy wrote in post #12943755 (external link)
Also, you never push someone to book you. That's basic bad business right there. No portfolio and the thought that you should have pushed the groom to book? I'd find that second job you were thinking of.

I have training in sales and would never push someone, poor choice of words on my part.

So what I have gathered from the negative responses is that I should just give up and move on. Well, screw that! Haha! I'm much better off with people who actually care, have something worthwhile to offer and look into working with them. Thankfully, there are some people here who have reached out to me kindly and those are the people I am grateful for.

Also, this:

S.Horton wrote in post #12932637 (external link)
I think the question is how to generate leads which close in wedding photography.

Is there a good book on that subject?

is exactly it. I just want to know how to generate leads which close in portrait and wedding photography.

Thanks to those who had great advice. I appreciate your help and hope to have great discussions with you in the near future.

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 16, 2011 18:43 |  #66

You have to face reality which is that if you want to make a living at photography (and don't just want to be a weekend warrior) then you need to differentiate yourself from your "competition".

A common question is how come someone who charges 3x what you do is booked solid and you are not when you feel your images are stronger?

Answer - either 1) because they have differentiated themselves and have persuaded people that they are worth it or 2) you are deluded and their product is loads better than yours in the eyes of the paying public (who are the only ones that matter).

Never forget that art is subjective and is only worth what someone will pay for it.

This :

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/File:No._5,_194​8.jpg (external link)

Sold for $140M and I personally think it is a pile of stinking crap.

But what do I know anyhow - it's just my opinion and someone thought I was wrong.

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 16, 2011 18:45 |  #67
bannedPermanent ban

Choopi wrote in post #12947243 (external link)
With all do respect, you (the general 'you') would not need to know a thing about the quality of a product in order to make is sound appealing. Take infomercials, for instance. Crap products are sold worldwide everyday to tens of thousands of people. Why? Because they know how to market. Doesn't matter if it's crap, sell it!

You know why they can sell it?

BECAUSE PEOPLE CAN SEE WHAT THEY'RE BUYING.

You're asking for advice, but you've not shown a single image of yours. THAT'S your product. THAT'S what you'll be selling!

Would you buy a product off of an infomercial if you couldn't see the product until after you paid for it? If someone was to ask your opinion of it, wouldn't you want to see it before offering an opinion?

Why are you so reluctant to show an example of your work? Your belief that it's unnecessary in no way means that it is, in fact, unnecessary.

You shouldn't be surprised by the responses you've received here. I think, if you provided samples of your work, you would, again, be surprised at the responses you receive.

But few will be willing to offer help or advice unless they know they caliber of the product you're selling...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

BreitlingFan
Goldmember
1,427 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 16, 2011 18:50 |  #68
bannedPermanent ban

Privacy is valid reason enough.

You have a website. If your contact information is listed anywhere on it, your privacy left the building some time ago.

You can embed a photo in a post without giving up your "privacy".

I'll just come out and say it. I post photos on this forum which I believe are good. I do not post photos which I think are not good.

As you've chosen to not post photos, only one sane conclusion can be reached: That you don't believe your very good. To that end, I would suggest, again, that there's a mountain of help here just waiting for you.

Well, it's waiting for you if you want it, and you've made it pretty clear that you do not...

Gear List
"I feel bad for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're gonna' feel all day." - Dean Martin

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 16, 2011 18:51 |  #69

So what I have gathered from the negative responses is that I should just give up and move on.

Not at all. Well...some have been negative to the point of being unhelpful, but the majority just want to see some images.

5 pages ago, you said;

Choopi wrote in post #12924393 (external link)
Okay, this is a bit of a confession: my business is sucking.

I'm lost. Completely.

I'm so frustrated!

Can anyone please give me some advice?

I'm going to be blunt (not to be confused with 'being negative');

If your business sucks because your pictures suck, there's nothing any of us can do...at least until we understand that your pictures suck.

All the spin and marketing w@nk in the world doesn't mitigate the fact that even the least discerning customers usually have two eyes in their head and can spot a true dud.

It's quite possible and highly likely your photos don't suck...but if they do you're better off investing time perfecting your technique than trying to fabricate some way to package a substandard product.

Crap products are sold worldwide everyday to tens of thousands of people. Why? Because they know how to market.

Those tens of thousands of people still get to see a picture of said crap.

If you don't want to link, upload (attach) a photo. Just one. Let us see what we're helping you trying to sell.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

tfizzle
785 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 16, 2011 18:57 |  #70

The problem that I see is that you want to book portrait sessions and weddings for $1,000 (i'm not sure what your sitting fee is for portraits).

My minimum idea for renting with the gear you have would be appx. $350. You would need a camera (200) a flash (50) and a lens or two (100). That's not including shipping which would be at least 40 so you're looking at $400 right at the bat for a wedding. That's $600. Add in what you should be doing as a professional...insuran​ce (liability, not just equipment), second shooter (you said you provide it), business license, gas, eating, etc. you are probably down to about $400 net per wedding.

Add in editing time, time being there and delivering/etc. you are looking at 20-25 hours or so. You are at $16 before taxes and you don't actually get to keep that gear for another round of photos.

How are you paying for advertising at $16 per hour after all said and done? I think that's the problem and I haven't even seen your portfolio.

I think what people are suspect at is the ability for you to ask "Why am I not getting bookings" and "sealing the deal" when you don't have some of the very basics together for doing the job once you get booked. You know, the cart before the horse and all that. I book weddings at $1,000 as it's a second gig to my salary but I have 2 cameras, several lenses for my shooting style and I will always rent 1-2 lenses per wedding. I also have 3 hot shoe flashes and 2 strobes just in case I need them as well as reflectors, etc. But I don't have to go out and spend 60% of the booking fee on things I might need for the sessions I do. If something goes screwy I can continue on with the job that was booked...for every booking.

I'd never walk into a portrait session as a verified business (I did when I was starting out, no business license, insurance, etc.) without the proper equipment to do so. I didn't do weddings until I had all of that stuff.

Now, I haven't raked in the dough but I do ok. Most, if not all, is by word of mouth and doing a good job. Doing a good job is seen by the clients because I don't look like I'm just starting out. People can feel that and with the onslaught of dslr's on the market they might be able to see that you have the same camera as uncle bob so they wonder why he didn't just take the photos (regardless of quality difference).

Also, it's just human nature that when someone says, "I'm good so I don't know why this isn't working" for them to ask for samples via the same way it was communicated (public). I don't see what the whole "privacy" thing is about when it comes to showing some shots if you just imbed them in this thread or use a URL shortener (very easy to do).

At any rate, I'm not coming down on you I just think that the way you have communicated shows that people aren't booking you because you're willing to say that you are really good but don't have any way to back that up. Maybe your potential clients are seeing that?

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 16, 2011 20:34 as a reply to  @ tfizzle's post |  #71

I have read all the responses and I am saddened by many of them, I actually thought that people here would be more kind than they have shown in this particular thread...
...It is unfortunate for so many to be so narrow minded and assumptive.
...Shame on you. Everyone has to start somewhere.

And, no offense, but you have described your work perfectly with your last paragraph.

Privacy is valid reason enough. Those who have been helpful (which is subjective, btw) and asked politely have been given a link.

Wow. Saddened by people who took time and effort to reply to your call for assistance? Really? Because they said something you did not agree with and hurt your feelings, that makes anything they said wrong? Wahhhhh. Cry me a freakin' river. The narrow mindedness and assumptions come from the fact that they were given nothing to go on. Throw the pros here a bone or something. You gave no info on the things they needed to know to help you, and they are the narrow minded ones? Oh, please.

And don't you think that you are a bit hypocritical with your response to sandpiper. Anytime you start a sentence with "No offense," your intention IS to offend or insult. You got your panties in a wad when someone questioned the quality of your unseen work, but then you find it perfectly acceptable to insult this persons work. Hey Pot, the Kettle just called. But, if it makes you sleep better at night, search through the forums and find the pictures that I posted and insult them too. I will be the first to tell you that they are not great, but I will improve. You seem to have made up your mind that anyone that does not give you warm fuzzy feelings should be shamed for their opinion and ignored. I'm not a pro photographer, but I never claimed to be and even though you are offended by my message to you, I will still give you this little bit of advice: Grow a thick layer of skin, put on your big girl undies, suck it up and go take some pictures. Post them in the feedback sections and ASK for some critique. Their responses, especially the ones that you don't like, will make you a better photographer if you will heed their advice.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 16, 2011 20:49 |  #72

sandpiper wrote in post #12932093 (external link)
However, getting huge compliments from those around you means absolutely nothing.

People you know will always say nice things to encourage you.

I see many people post images on this site that are 'nice' but nothing special, and even some that have glaring deficiencies, get responses like "wow", "awesome set", "amazing images" when the reality is they are pretty ordinary, not up to a professional standard and not saleable.

I am aware family and friends are biased, but I don't market to family and friends. However, I have some family and friends who are very good at critique and providing constructive criticism that have helped me a great deal.

LOL :lol:. No offense taken, I quite agree with you actually. My work (and I'm flattered that you took the time to hunt some down and look at it) is nothing outstanding in my opinion, I am frequently in awe of the real masters of photography.

However, I have never claimed it to be anything else. I don't think my work is awesome and I much prefer it when people tell me what they don't like about my shots rather than post "wow", "amazing shots" etc., which whilst being flattering doesn't help me with useful feedback.

I am surprised how often I get contacted by magazines etc., asking to use my work (and being prepared to pay for it).

I see that you chose not to quote the part where I said that I had no idea if your work was awesome or not and that it may well be the case, I have never seen any and so cannot judge. Or the parts (pretty much the entire second half of that post) where I pointed out that I, and others, are happy to help you with the advice you are asking for, but we need to see your work and your website to help, as we can't tell where the problem lies with no information to go on.

I know exactly where you are coming from, I did photography part time in the 1980s, for a couple of years. I had a decent sized studio for portrait work and I did somewhere over two dozen weddings in those two years. In addition, I did freelance work for two local papers and sold work to various magazines. I packed it in after those two years as I wasn't getting enough time to shoot what I wanted to shoot and felt I had lost a hobby I loved. I closed the studio down and now shoot just for fun, and don't regret the decision one bit.

I had thought I could maybe help you out with some ideas where you might improve your work, or your website, marketing, wherever the problem may lie (as that hasn't yet been established). However, your opinion on my shots shows that your work is clearly superior to mine, so I guess you have nothing that you can learn from me. That's fine, I'll go and help somebody else.

Especially since some of the responses from people here have not even read all of my own posts to know certain facts; that I have lighting and reflectors, umbrellas, etc.

Some people are hooked on my lack of having extra/backup gear. I would then rent where applicable. It is unfortunate for so many to be so narrow minded and assumptive.

Whoops, yes, that would be me. My apologies, I had read the whole thread, but as that post was four days ago it had slipped my mind. Yes, a strobe and modifiers will be of great use to you. However, I still feel partly correct in my comments as, whilst a single strobe and reflector for fill can produce great pictures, there are many times when you need more than one (apart from just in case that one fails). If you need to shoot a dark haired subject against a dark background, you need a hair light to separate them from the background, or possibly a background light to lighten the background, if their hair does not suit rimlighting. Now, I am sure that you know about studio lighting setups, so would try and avoid that scenario but you can never be sure what clients will ask for and turning a job down because you don't have the gear gives out a bad vibe.

We are not being "narrow minded", when suggesting you need backup gear. It is the primary essential that any professional wedding photographer will say that you need. I wasn't trying to put you down stating that you need an extra body, I was trying to save you the expense of a reshoot which, with weddings, can run into several thousands if you have to rehire venues, dresses, tuxedos, cars, etc., plus fly in relatives who live on the other side of the country. That is why, if you read my first post, I said to be sure that you had a very good 'non delivery' clause in your insurance, so that if the camera craps out on you, it won't be you on the hook for a world of expense. By all means ignore everything else I have said, but please take that advice seriously. If I can save you from a big payout, my attempts to help you won't have been entirely in vain.

I am glad that you are now able to fund renting gear, I saw your post of three months ago where you stated categorically that you couldn't afford that, and it wasn't an option. Good to see things are on the up.

Being new does not equal inadequate, as if to say that because I'm just starting out and in a position to take very small steps forward that I have no place in the photography business at all. Shame on you. Everyone has to start somewhere.

I couldn't agree more. At no point have I, or the majority of posters on here called you inadequate or said that you have no place. It may have been stated that your gear is inadequate, if you wish to be a full-time pro, but that is not the same thing.

With all do respect, you (the general 'you') would not need to know a thing about the quality of a product in order to make is sound appealing. Take infomercials, for instance. Crap products are sold worldwide everyday to tens of thousands of people. Why? Because they know how to market. Doesn't matter if it's crap, sell it! Even evangelists make millions selling only faith; not a service or a product. Now I am NOT saying my services and products are crap, nor would it be a smart move on my part to not strive for better and best. But to ask anything about the quality of my work in order to offer sound advice, well... I guess it's pretty safe to assume that some of you can't/won't help.

Yes, it's true, good advertising can persuade people to buy crap. I've done marketing and I know you sell the "sizzle" not the sausage. A great advert on TV showing crap sausages sizzling away on a BBQ, and people clearly eating them with great pleasure will sell a lot of them.

However, take that crap sausage and present it in a taste test with some great sausage and tell people they can have either one at the same price, then the crap sausage will be the one that doesn't sell because people have had a chance to compare them.

In photography, potential clients will be viewing portfolios from rivals, as well as yourself, and comparing the pictures and seeing which they prefer. That puts your product clearly in the categoryt of selling through "taste tests" and no amount of marketing bull will make your images look better than somebody else's. Either your work is better, or it isn't.

That is why we are interested in the quality of your work. As I stated in my first post, if your work is awesome then you should be getting bookings. If you are not getting bookings (and that, I believe, is what you are saying when you started this thread looking for help) then either your work isn't as awesome as you think it is, or there is something else wrong with the way you are presenting it, or yourself. I will reiterate what I said originally, I am in no way saying that your work isn't awesome but we don't know one way or the other. If you post a few shots, and a way of viewing your website, those of us who want to help can try and discover where your problem lies. You don't have to do it in a way that would connect it to this forum, as I explained earlier.

So what I have gathered from the negative responses is that I should just give up and move on. Well, screw that! Haha! I'm much better off with people who actually care, have something worthwhile to offer and look into working with them. Thankfully, there are some people here who have reached out to me kindly and those are the people I am grateful for.

I certainly haven't suggested that you should give up and move on, I wanted to help you move forward with your business. Of course, I don't view my replies as negative responses, but clearly you do. I truly hope that you can find where the problem lies and get past it. Clearly though, you don't feel that I have anything worthwhile to offer, so I will go and offer my help elsewhere. As they say on Dragons Den (or Shark Tank, I believe it's called in the US) "I'm out".

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 16, 2011 20:59 |  #73

"Being new does not equal inadequate, as if to say that because I'm just starting out and in a position to take very small steps forward that I have no place in the photography business at all. Shame on you. Everyone has to start somewhere."

Erm... insufficiently prepared nor able to cover situations which require adequate equipment whilst being able to make a liveable income given pricing structure you have in place.

As has already been pointed out if you have to rent as much equipment as you would need to for a wedding then you aren't going to make enough to live on... not without a second job. No one said you had no place. We said you can't realistically offer the services you are with the equipment you have.

How dare we given you honest and sensible business advice (which you asked for) based on the information that we had been furnished with. :rolleyes:

Again this may just be me, but I have seen it time and time again on here from people starting out. You seem to have a "whole world is against me complex" and major confidence issues. That will be a problem is you intend to make it in this game. Being in business is tough, as a photographer even tougher.

The whole "not showing for privacy" given URL shorteners AND the fact you already have a website is complete nonsense. Simply you aren't showing because you don't want to chance the fact that people may not think your work is any good. I still couldn't say whether it is or not, and from what I gather from reading the thread is that only one person has seen it so far and they have passed not comment about it other than to determine that you are female.

As for how to generate leads...

Lets start with some of the basics

1) You need a portfolio (slight issue)
2) Your website needs to be out there... (and POTN back-linking is very good for SEO btw)
3) Your work when people eventually do see it needs to be good (who knows)
4) Potential clients need to trust you can deliver... which is largely based on (1) and often they will ask about equipment and backups. Not all are ignorant to the requirements for low light shooting with no flash. (So you could have issue there on both counts)
5) Starting out you will need to spend money on marketing/advertising (which could well be a problem in you case as you say you don't have much)
6) Patience, on average I get bookings 46 weeks in advance (you need to be able to cover booking to wedding lag when starting out)
7) It is realistic to not expect to turn a profit for a couple of years (which is why so many people suggested you are not in a position to do this yet)

If you care to read my posts on this forum I'm more than happy to help people out and offer advice. Shame on me hey... "I'm out"

Peter

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 16, 2011 21:04 |  #74

Choopi wrote in post #12924393 (external link)
Okay, this is a bit of a confession: my business is sucking. My booking rate is 4 for ~20 in the last year (my first year in the biz, btw). I've even offered contests for free shoots that completely fail, meaning no one entered (twice now!)

I know that I create awesome work, and the people who have booked me really love their photos. I get huge compliments all the time on my work, and some people are wow'ed by the fact that I've only just started (this makes me blush even writing it).

I used to focus primarily on bands (I've shot a lot of mainstream celebrity bands) but as for local bands, well... there isn't really any money in that nor is there much of a market for it in my area anyway. My goal is to become a [destination] engagement/wedding photographer. While my local area is saturated, the quality of work out there isn't that stunning, in fact, some of it is downright terrible. But the other photogs appear to get more work than I do. Most are charging so little; I can't sustain that way. I've literally taken everything into consideration. From insurance to upgrades, products, taxes, etc. and that is also how I figured out my pricing (read on).

Due to the lack of inquiries/bookings, I have adjusted my pricing so much in the last year that I am losing a grip on my worth, but I know what I need to make to pay the bills. I charge $250 a portrait shoot and just over $1000 for weddings (8 hours), and now I offer the disc (which isn't what I want to do, but all my 'competition' offers it - adding the disc hasn't helped me book any shoots either) Adding that disc is why I'm not charging less for my shoots. BTW, I don't have any weddings in my portfolio (my first wedding was literally one week after I got my dSLR, and the second was 5 minutes alone with the B&G - good but not compared to my other work). I realize not having that type of work in my portfolio is a deal breaker for a lot of people. But I still get inquiries, usually word of mouth. Some brides have been so excited, knowing my prices all along, and the all of a sudden tell me they can no longer afford a photographer for their wedding at all. All this is another reason I offer free shoots (for engagements) that no one takes advantage of... I can't afford to give away free shoots. I'm on the verge of having to find another job and either becoming a weekend warrior or not having time at all for my business. I'm lost. Completely.

Also, none of the 'professional' photographers respond to my second-shooter inquiries, they say yeah yeah yeah then I never hear from them again, or they flat out tell me they are not interested. I'm so frustrated!

Can anyone please give me some advice?

Hi Choopi. Advice is someone else's conclusions based on data that you yourself have not evaluated. Much advice that people have given you and will give you are largely based on what worked in their case. It may not work in your case. Wouldn't it be better if you had data that could be applied to any scenario? Just as there is a technology involved with a camera and its component parts, there is such a technology that you can use to run an organization. There are various parts to an organization that must be kept running, even if it is a one-person company. Learn the fundamentals of organizations and you will no longer be shooting in the dark. Send me a PM if you're interested and I can point you in the right direction.

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Aug 16, 2011 21:09 |  #75

A lot of advice has been given. Nothing left for me to add.
Signing off...

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

sponsored links

15,384 views & 0 likes for this thread
Low Booking Rate, even my Contests Fail
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.