Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 16 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 15:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with off camera flash shot

Bpesca
41 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 16, 2011 15:15 |  #1

Hello,

So I have a wedding this weekend during the day near the Boston skyline. It ends at 5PM but the bride and groom are hanging around town to party it up. I have convinced them to come out a bit later for a night time skyline shot.

My idea is to use this exact spot in the link below and put the B&G in front of it with an off camera flash (non-ETTL) behind them to light up the vail. Pretty much combine this pic

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO
with the background I've linked below

I'm fairly new to the off camera flash so I'm looking for some input. I assume just meter for the skyline and start the flash behind them at 1/2 power and go from there? If anyone has any ideas or input on how to speed up my "finding the perfect setting" it would be greatly appreciated. FYI the B&G are good friends of mine and I have warned them that this might take several takes to get it right and they were fine with that.

Many thanks!

http://www.flickr.com …0/sizes/l/in/ph​otostream/ (external link)

1Ds Mark II
24-70L
70-200L f2.8 II
Brian Pescatore Photography Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 16, 2011 20:05 |  #2

If you already know where you're going, why not go at the same time of evening a day early and do some test exposures?

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 16, 2011 21:09 |  #3

It's hard to say what flash power you are going to use without knowing anythhing else. To me, 1/2 power sounds insanely high, unless you bring a tripod, shoot at ISO 100 f/11. Set up your background exposure, and the rest you will have to do with flash. You may have to bring two flashes because it's unlikely that you will get a balanced exposure on the bride and groom in relation to the sky. It might end up that you only get a rimlight on the couple without enough detail on the rest of the bodies. In that case you might need just a tiny touch of fill flash.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,545 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 16, 2011 22:12 |  #4

Bpesca wrote in post #12946555 (external link)
I'm fairly new to the off camera flash so I'm looking for some input. I assume just meter for the skyline and start the flash behind them at 1/2 power and go from there? If anyone has any ideas or input on how to speed up my "finding the perfect setting" it would be greatly appreciated. FYI the B&G are good friends of mine and I have warned them that this might take several takes to get it right and they were fine with that.

Many thanks!

Yeah. Set your camera and flash to full manual. Expose the camera for the background, then position your lights and use flash exposure to get the subjects properly exposed. Check the link in my signature "Using Manual Flash".

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 16, 2011 22:53 |  #5

i was thinking what Lloyd said. I often do shots similar to this and my setup is pretty easy. Ill use my 35L or 50L, start at about ISO 1600, f2.2ish, 1/125th and see where that takes me. Then I will set my flash behind them at about 1/32-1/8th, and then use another flash off camera through an umbrella to fill them in. Feel free to check out my blog, there are quite a few shots I do towards the end of the weddings that use this technique.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 19, 2011 08:36 as a reply to  @ Red Tie Photography's post |  #6

Just reaffirming what others have said:

1) Take a couple test shots (without firing any external lights) and set your exposure for the background. Yes your subjects will be dark, but that doesn't matter since you will worry about lighting them in step 2. Start with your shutter speed around 1/160.

2) Set your remote flash(es) in manual mode and start at about 1/16. Fire a test shot and see if you like it. Dial the flash power up or down based on the look you want to achieve. One light from behind them will give them a nice rim light and silhouette. Use multiple lights if you want to get more creative (ie, have different angles of rim light or if you want to light the front side of them as well.)

3) Drag your shutter if you want more ambient light in the background.

Good luck! I'd recommend practicing this before trying on a client for the first time. On the day of, just work with your settings and the couple until you find what looks good to you.

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,263 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with off camera flash shot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.