Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Aug 2011 (Monday) 05:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Those that own both 85 1.2 and 1.8; need your opinion

nikesupremedunk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 17, 2011 00:23 |  #31

i just rented a 135L and actually really like the images from it. the background blur is better/just as good as the 85L. i thought the FL would be too tight, but on a FF it's workable. now i'm thinking of going 85 1.8 and 135L still for much less than a 85L.

| Andrew | 5D Mark II | EOS-M | Canon 17-40mm f 4 L | Canon 35mm f 1.4 L | Canon 100mm f 2.8 L Macro | Canon 70-200mm f 4 L IS | Canon EF-M 22mm f 2.0 | Speedlite 430EX II|

sponsored links
bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 17, 2011 15:29 |  #32

nikesupremedunk wrote in post #12949331 (external link)
i just rented a 135L and actually really like the images from it. the background blur is better/just as good as the 85L. i thought the FL would be too tight, but on a FF it's workable. now i'm thinking of going 85 1.8 and 135L still for much less than a 85L.

That's the route I went (85/1.8 + 135L). That combo has served me well, though these days I tend to choose the Zeiss 100/2 over both of the Canon lenses unless I need autofocus.

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 17, 2011 16:36 |  #33

JeffreyG wrote in post #12940866 (external link)
First line says it all. Get the 85/1.8.

I have owned both the 85/1.2L II and the 85/1.8 (I had the 85L first and added the 85/1.8 for indoor sports need) and they create nearly identical results. I will also guarantee you that you will get a bunch of people who try and tell you that the 85L is just head and shoulders better. It isn't. It is a little bit better.

Both lenses can create a lot of purple finging with large apertrures. Both lenses are very sharp, the 85L is just a hair sharper below f/2.8 and probably not in a way that will matter in most prints. Both lenses render very smooth background blur, though the 85L may be just a hair smoother when challenged with a really ugly background.

I think you would need to review images from the same photographer using both lenses to draw any conclusions.

Sign my name to Jeffrey's post. Agree 100%. I was going to type a response but he said exactly what I would have. I had both. I sold the L. Zero regrets. The 1.8 has made me a lot of money.

nikesupremedunk wrote in post #12949331 (external link)

That is often what I tell people who want an 85L but doesn't have too much else in their kit. You can get a 480EX II, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, and 135L for the price of one 85L. Does the 85L REALLY give you that much more than those four combined? I say it gives you much less, but that's just my opinion. I see you already have the 50 1.4 and 430EX, so it doesn't apply to you, but combining the 85 1.8 and 135L is thinking alone the same lines. Plus, that combo saves you HUNDREDS over an 85L.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,195 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 17, 2011 17:03 as a reply to  @ picturecrazy's post |  #34

Not to change the specific Canon lens discussion the OP originated but take a glance at a really sharp lens that alot of folks know nothing about:

https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=3107191&p​ostcount=1

I suggest just get the economical 85/f1.8 and shoot at f2.8 where it shines & spend the difference on the Canon 35/f1.4 if you need AF lenses.

85/f1.8

http://www.slrgear.com …ct.php/product/​154/cat/10 (external link)

85L/f1.2 II

http://www.slrgear.com …ct.php/product/​354/cat/10 (external link)

Regards, Ron ;)

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

Significa
260 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 17, 2011 17:40 as a reply to  @ Silverfox1's post |  #35

Shooting at f2.0 is enough to get rid of a decent amount of the CA and definitely sharp enough.

Canon 60D | Canon 15-85 IS USM | Sigma 30mm 1.4 HSM | Canon 135mm F2L | Canon 70-200mm F4L IS | Canon 430EX II | Panasonic GF3 | Pansonic 20mm 1.7 | Panasonic 14-42mm OIS
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/significafire/ (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 17, 2011 17:48 |  #36

So, if one were willing to go MF, what are the good options for the 85MM FL? And if you are MF, is a focusing screen enough?

amfoto1 wrote in post #12939646 (external link)
The L is a lovely lens and if I were a full-time wedding and portrait photographer, I'd want it in my kit.

But instead I want a reasonable fast, versatile lens with fast/accurate AF, that's smaller and more unobtrusive. The 85/1.8 fits my needs well. I use it for a variety of things, occasionally portraits and candids. It's simply a lot less lens to carry around and use, yet offers excellent image quality.

Neither lens is perfect. I am not a fan of the f1.8's lens clip-on lens hood, though I must admit it's more durable and stays in place better than I would have expected. And maybe some day Canon will give it curved aperture blades... Or not because it would then approach the L's bokeh qualities, perhaps too closely.

So, consider what you need and how you'll use the lens, then you should be able to make a choice. If you need an uncompromising image quality and the trade-off of higher cost, bigger size and greater weight, and slower focusing are less important than the IQ to you, then the f1.2L would likely be your better choice. On the other hand, if a smaller, lighter and less obtrusive lens with quick AF, at a considerably lower price and with a wee bit of compromise in IQ fits into your lens kit better, then there is your answer.

Worst case with either choice, if you get it wrong or your needs change, you can resell the lens with relatively little loss and buy the other one.

There's also the Sigma 85/1.4 to consider, sort of positioned in between the Canon f1.8 and f1.2L in many respects.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 17, 2011 17:55 |  #37

Wow. Just wow.

http://www.photozone.d​e …nthar-test-report--review (external link)

@fox thx for the heads up on that one!

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,195 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 17, 2011 19:14 |  #38

S.Horton wrote in post #12953858 (external link)
So, if one were willing to go MF, what are the good options for the 85MM FL? And if you are MF, is a focusing screen enough?

S.Horton wrote in post #12953882 (external link)
Wow. Just wow.

In regards to a MF 85mm FL range you will hear folks discuss the legendary Leica 90mm/f2 R APO for its IQ but IMHO the Canon 85mm/ f1.2 II is really close if not the equal in IQ and does provide you with AF at a much cheaper price versus the Leica. The Leica is an investment that just keeps going up in price.

I just got outbid on this Leica below as i figured & the final price will probably be around $3.5K when the auction ends:

http://cgi.ebay.com …_trksid=p3984.m​1423.l2649 (external link)

Some older discussion on the Leica:

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/70544​7/0 (external link)

Here below is one you can join on the Voigtlander 125/f2.5 APO :

http://cgi.ebay.com …enses&hash=item​43a902ce31 (external link)

Regards, Ron ;)

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

RobDickinson
Goldmember
4,003 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 17, 2011 19:49 |  #39

If you want to manual focus then the rokinon 85f1.4 has to be in the frame? sharp and good bokeh, and cheap!

There was a good article (I may track down later) about the two canons, and how the 85L is a Luxury lens, and just that, the 1.8 is good enough , this from a working tog and looking at it logicaly, no client ever wanted more than the 1.8 can provide.

85L mkII is canons poster child though.

www.HeroWorkshops.com (external link) - www.rjd.co.nz (external link) - www.zarphag.com (external link)
Gear: A7r, 6D, Irix 15mmf2.4 , canon 16-35f4L, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5 mk2, Sigma 50mm art, 70-200f2.8L, 400L. Lee filters, iOptron IPano, Emotimo TB3, Markins, Feisol, Novoflex, Sirui. etc.

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 17, 2011 21:59 |  #40

S.Horton wrote in post #12953858 (external link)

The Rokinon/Samyang/etc. is a great choice, especially considering the low price.

At the other end of the price spectrum the Zeiss 100/2 is outstanding. (The Zeiss 85 is very good as well, but you have to know its strengths.)

http://www.photozone.d​e …os_ff/508-zeiss100f2eosff (external link)

S.Horton wrote in post #12953882 (external link)
Wow. Just wow.

The Voigtlander 125 is an awesome lens, but it has been discontinued for a while. They are hard to find, especially in Canon mount, and the going rate tends to be a lot more than they went for new.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 17, 2011 23:02 |  #41

picturecrazy wrote in post #12953486 (external link)
Sign my name to Jeffrey's post. Agree 100%. I was going to type a response but he said exactly what I would have. I had both. I sold the L. Zero regrets. The 1.8 has made me a lot of money.

That is often what I tell people who want an 85L but doesn't have too much else in their kit. You can get a 480EX II, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, and 135L for the price of one 85L. Does the 85L REALLY give you that much more than those four combined? I say it gives you much less, but that's just my opinion. I see you already have the 50 1.4 and 430EX, so it doesn't apply to you, but combining the 85 1.8 and 135L is thinking alone the same lines. Plus, that combo saves you HUNDREDS over an 85L.

I've never tried the 85L so maybe I am speaking out of turn but the 85/1.8 is good enough for me and I would like to think I have pretty high standards. I haven't been tempted by the 85L.

On a side note, I've noticed that I am getting tired of gear talk and my interest in POTN is starting to wain. Gear is really secondary to a good eye, good framing, recognizing and using good light, and competent post processing. I cannot blame my current gear for my boring images and gear talk has done nothing to improve my photography with rare exception.

A boring image shot by an 85/1.8 will still be boring shot by an 85L. There are no shortage of examples on POTN.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

kevindar
Cream of the Crop
5,050 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 18, 2011 00:00 |  #42

I owned the 1.8. bought the 1.2 during the bing cash back, b/c I got a good deal on it, never intending to keep it. Ended up selling the 1.8, and keeping the 1.2. there are times that I miss the 1.8. It is a fantastic, fast focusing, small and light lens, with very good image quality. the 1.2 however has exceptional color, and images at f 1.2-2 are truly amazing. Is it 1500 better? not sure. Depends on what else is in your bag and how else you can spend your money.
Here is a shot in candle light, hand held, ISO 3200, f 1.2, 1/100 sec on 5d2. Possible with a 1.8 lens. sure. but I am glad I had the 1.2.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

aside from that of course is the fantastic bokeh.

My Flickr (external link)
Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205576

HeaTransfer
554 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 18, 2011 00:19 |  #43

bohdank wrote in post #12955258 (external link)
On a side note, I've noticed that I am getting tired of gear talk and my interest in POTN is starting to wain. Gear is really secondary to a good eye, good framing, recognizing and using good light, and competent post processing. I cannot blame my current gear for my boring images and gear talk has done nothing to improve my photography with rare exception.

A boring image shot by an 85/1.8 will still be boring shot by an 85L. There are no shortage of examples on POTN.

Ken Rockwell is right ;)

I don't know really why I browse the gear fora here. There is nothing that I really want or need when I know the best way to improve is to go out there and shoot more! To be honest i'm rather surprised at the large number of gear lists and the small amounts of photos posted...

BTW, your work has usually been interesting Bohdank-thanks for sharing what you do.

nikesupremedunk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 18, 2011 01:51 |  #44

Well, I just got back from a full day of shooting with the 135L and I just love it. It is a bit long sometimes but it's CRAZY sharp even wide open and the way it blows out the background is insane. So forget the 85L, I'm going to get the 135L and maybe a 85 1.8 but I'm not even sure if I need the 85 now.

Thank you everyone for the helpful responses and to help me save money! (which is rare on POTN, usually opposite! :D)

| Andrew | 5D Mark II | EOS-M | Canon 17-40mm f 4 L | Canon 35mm f 1.4 L | Canon 100mm f 2.8 L Macro | Canon 70-200mm f 4 L IS | Canon EF-M 22mm f 2.0 | Speedlite 430EX II|

drpro1
36 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 18, 2011 02:24 |  #45

If you can save up for the L, get the L, if not you won't be dissapointed with the 1.8.

When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad I'm better.

sponsored links

6,186 views & 0 likes for this thread
Those that own both 85 1.2 and 1.8; need your opinion
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.