Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
Thread started 14 Aug 2011 (Sunday) 23:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Migration Underway in Northern Ohio

PNPhotography
806 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 17, 2011 15:56 |  #16

Hey Daniel,
Awesome pics!!! Just wondering how you like your flash extender???Judging by your photos is seems you have it dialed in.Thinking about trying one for football-any comments??
Paul

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

sponsored links
catsith
Mighty Award Winner
6,265 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 17, 2011 16:31 |  #17

beautiful set of images! I am having lens envy again!!

Tina

www.tinadial.smugmug.c​om (external link)

Sunman
162 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 17, 2011 20:21 |  #18

Awesome set of photographs!

Come with me...i'll take you places.

flurp
152 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 17, 2011 20:42 |  #19

Fantastic! I appreciate your dedication.

dbriz
POTN MILLIONAIRE
8,984 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 17, 2011 22:33 |  #20

Your series is quite spectacular Dan, I especially marvel at the detail and resolution with the whites... lovely images, all of them.
And I thought stumbling over deadfalls was treacherous... best wishes for a successful surgery and a quick recovery.

db

7d, 50D, 400mm f/5.6, 300mm f/4, 70-200mm f/4 IS, 50mm f/1.8

Candor
Goldmember
4,843 posts
Gallery: 113 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 18, 2011 15:18 |  #21

An another excellent set Daniel. I had a favourite picked out on the first pass and then changed my mind on the second and then gave up. Great work all the way around.

Mike
MikesWildLife (external link)
flickr (external link)

Reigh ­ Higgins
Goldmember
3,036 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 18, 2011 19:48 |  #22

Excellent !! Thanks for sharing.

" This world is a canvas to our imagination."
- Henry David Thoreau

ohiofalcon
196 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 19, 2011 21:33 as a reply to  @ Reigh Higgins's post |  #23

Very nice set of photos! I've been busy with work. haven't had any chances to get out with the camera.
Thanks for sharing!

7D,

EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6II, EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM, [COLOR=black]EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM 430EX II :)

Stephen ­ Stephen
Cream of the Crop
6,329 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Aug 20, 2011 04:54 |  #24

Spectacular series Daniel. I particularly love teh calling short billed dowitcher and the avocet. Good luck with the surgery.

Stephen
Feel free to check out my website
www.stephenjstephen.co​m (external link)

My Gear List

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,637 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 20, 2011 05:24 as a reply to  @ Stephen Stephen's post |  #25

Laying in the muck and mire sure does pay off! Beautiful set, Daniel. Best of luck with your surgery. Now I have to go buy a set of waders! :)

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, 1D-X II, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link).

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
11,675 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 24
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 20, 2011 15:03 |  #26

An absolutely stellar set of images Dan, couldn't ask for better variety at the water's edge. The Caspian and Avocet are really incredible. Sorry to hear about your infection, I hope you beat that soon. Your warning should ring loud and clear to all who choose to shoot laying down out there. I wear nylon jacket and pants since I crawl through some very questionable funk including droppings which no one needs to come in contact with, especially with open wounds, and broken shells are a sure way to get them. I'm also destined for some knee repair with a torn meniscus but I've got some other issues that I'm dealing with right now so that's on hold. Take care of yourself and best of luck on your upcoming surgery.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
SteveEllwoodPhotograph​y.com (external link)

Sindri ­ Skulason
Cream of the Crop
10,403 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 21, 2011 07:27 |  #27

Outstanding series. Each shot is just perfect eith good low angle. Great work Daniel.

Best regards

Sindri

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 21, 2011 07:34 |  #28

Great shots! I gotta ask, That doesn't look like a tripod... The water you're in is quite shallow. Is this sort of like a Mono-pod, or something, that you stuck in the bottom of the pond you're in?

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

CanaHolic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,605 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 21, 2011 09:17 |  #29

5Dmaniac wrote in post #12936498 (external link)
These are spectacular images - congrats!

Thank you, Happy you liked them

bobobird wrote in post #12936529 (external link)
Great images.

Thank you

jimsuy wrote in post #12936701 (external link)
very nice.. great set.. :smile:

Thanks so much

kmunroe wrote in post #12936998 (external link)
excellent series Daniel

Appreciate that kmunroe

cannylad wrote in post #12937074 (external link)
Great images, you certainly work for your shots, Ive seen a few of these species in my part of the UK, any others would be welcome . Love the Pec shot.

Thank you very much, I have really grown to enjoy photographing shorebirds, something about getting down with them and entering their world makes it allot of fun

BGgraphy wrote in post #12937322 (external link)
Now that is dedication, they sure did turn out well, love the Avocet best but all are very nice. The last one is pretty good too. you had better be careful with that cellulitis, can get real nasty.
Great job Dan!

Brett, Thanks a million... The Avocet I was chasing for a-while and was a target bird for me this shorebird season, I was very happy to have had that opportunity. Yes your rite this Cellulitis turned out to be pretty nasty, on the mend pretty good now though. Thanks

CDMOOSE wrote in post #12937758 (external link)
Great shots; your dedication really paid off.
Al

CDMOOSE,
Thanks loads, appreciate it. was a great time

Diamond Lil wrote in post #12937928 (external link)
Daniel! Bravo man! What a wonderful series. The Tern is perfect and you had me wondering how the heck you got it until seeing your friends photograph of you.
Please take good care of your leg.

Would you mind detailing a bit about your set up?

Lil,
Thank you so much. I had approached that Tern several times by crouching low and slowly closing the distance, I kept bumping it just as I was getting into descent range. my intention was to crouch/walk up then get down and low to capture some images, It was having no part of that.

I finally belly crawled close to 200' and moved around gaining position while on the belly to gain a pleasing BG and shot angle. A great experience shared by myself and another photog friend.

The gear is the 1D4| 600 f/4 Lens | Gitzo GT3541LS tripod "Collapsed all the way down| Wimberley2 | 580EX2 flash with Better Beamer on Wimberly flash bracket with extra height extension.| Canon CP-E4 Battery pack for flash recycle and battery longevity| The round thing is a small zippered camera case for the 1.4x extender for ease of access

dgraham329 wrote in post #12937964 (external link)
neat series, Daniel

Thank you

drama wrote in post #12938925 (external link)
Fantastic series, good luck with your surgery

drama,
Thank you, appreciate the well wishes

Shar824 wrote in post #12941184 (external link)
Wonderful shots Daniel, hope you kick the infection soon.

Sharon,
Thanks allot, I am feeling much better, appreciate it.Thanks

jzelik wrote in post #12947133 (external link)
OK.. How about "WOW". Great shots.

jzelik,
Thanks a million :)

canon rookie wrote in post #12953264 (external link)
Hey Daniel,
Awesome pics!!! Just wondering how you like your flash extender???Judging by your photos is seems you have it dialed in.Thinking about trying one for football-any comments??
Paul

Paul,
Thank you very much... Paul I like the extender allot, gets the flash up and off the camera, acts like off camera flash. decreasing and eliminating steel eye, although in close MFD situations, the bracket extension you see used here can cause slight blowover as its height is higher than the lens barrel causing the flash to go over the target. Its often a godsend though as even when dialed -3 stops down its often to much flash to act as fill.

Shooting here in Northern Ohio we have allot of cloud cover, I will use it allot then, and then on harsher days to offset the ambiant light and lift shadows.

There are allot of people against flash and prefer natural light, however when used correctly you will not know the difference and the fill will give that lil extra pop and enhance colors. Its something I could never see myself not using. Its almost always on my camera, not always turned on but as conditions or circumstances change It's there and ready to adapt to those changes

catsith wrote in post #12953454 (external link)
beautiful set of images! I am having lens envy again!!

catsith,
Thank you so much... I saved along time, Its not cheap for sure..., but glass will hold its value and that's comforting when making the commitment

Sunman wrote in post #12954487 (external link)
Awesome set of photographs!

Sunman,
Thanks allot, appreciate it!

flurp wrote in post #12954608 (external link)
Fantastic! I appreciate your dedication.

flurp,
Thanks so much!

dbriz wrote in post #12955136 (external link)
Your series is quite spectacular Dan, I especially marvel at the detail and resolution with the whites... lovely images, all of them.
And I thought stumbling over deadfalls was treacherous... best wishes for a successful surgery and a quick recovery.

db

Dave,
Thanks much, always great hearing from you, although this is somewhat risky at times, but as long as your careful its not too bad, actually I have had allot closer calls stumbling around the deadfalls as you suggested, so you be careful as well... Thanks for the speedy recovery. Infections well under ropes, but now the darn knee surgery on Sept 1. arghh its Hell getting old...

Candor wrote in post #12958717 (external link)
An another excellent set Daniel. I had a favourite picked out on the first pass and then changed my mind on the second and then gave up. Great work all the way around.

Candor,
Lol... Thanks allot my friend, appreciate that. Happy you liked them

Reigh Higgins wrote in post #12959899 (external link)
Excellent !! Thanks for sharing.

Reigh,
Thank you

ohiofalcon wrote in post #12965861 (external link)
Very nice set of photos! I've been busy with work. haven't had any chances to get out with the camera.
Thanks for sharing!

Hey... Thanks allot good to hear from you... Hope all is well.. Not a bad thing to be busy with work these days, economy is still in the tanker, gotta be happy to be working these days... take care and best to you and the family!

Stephen Stephen wrote in post #12967159 (external link)
Spectacular series Daniel. I particularly love teh calling short billed dowitcher and the avocet. Good luck with the surgery.

Stephen,
Thanks allot, I am kinda partial to those both as well. Happy you liked them, appreciate the well wishes.

Wallace River wrote in post #12967192 (external link)
Laying in the muck and mire sure does pay off! Beautiful set, Daniel. Best of luck with your surgery. Now I have to go buy a set of waders! :smile:

Wallace,
Lol... Thanks loads.... if your just on sand and water then waders are not really needed, the much however stains your close pretty good. I end up getting dirty and soaked anyhow, sometimes I wonder why I am even wearing them, thought about a dry suit, but after seeing the costs. I just use the same shirt and jeans, and opt for the waders still.

Nighthound wrote in post #12968939 (external link)
An absolutely stellar set of images Dan, couldn't ask for better variety at the water's edge. The Caspian and Avocet are really incredible. Sorry to hear about your infection, I hope you beat that soon. Your warning should ring loud and clear to all who choose to shoot laying down out there. I wear nylon jacket and pants since I crawl through some very questionable funk including droppings which no one needs to come in contact with, especially with open wounds, and broken shells are a sure way to get them. I'm also destined for some knee repair with a torn meniscus but I've got some other issues that I'm dealing with right now so that's on hold. Take care of yourself and best of luck on your upcoming surgery.

Steve,
Thanks allot, always great to hear from you, appreciate that. Yes... I never really thought allot about it until I have been around a few doctors while photographing. Both said there is no way you would get me down there within all that sludge, muck, nasty water and feces knowing the things you can catch from doing so.
Their is no doubt they are rite im sure, But I cannot help myself. As I just like and enjoy it so much, As i know you do. Your nylon jacket and pants idea is good, I have used a nylon upper ipper a few times. But the lowers keep with the frogg toggs as It changes between sand, mud, water so quickly.

Good luck with your issues, Hope it all works out for you. I understand the Meniscus is not too big of a deal. Its a pretty quick mend. Mine is bothering me pretty good, so pretty anxious to get it behind me. Hang in their with your's better days ahead, well wishes back at yah!

Sindri Skulason wrote in post #12971648 (external link)
Outstanding series. Each shot is just perfect eith good low angle. Great work Daniel.

Sindri,
Thanks allot, So happy to hear from you, have always enjoyed your work. I was actually shooting with Matthew in many of these. He's always allot of fun to shoot with.

CameraMan wrote in post #12971671 (external link)
Great shots! I gotta ask, That doesn't look like a tripod... The water you're in is quite shallow. Is this sort of like a Mono-pod, or something, that you stuck in the bottom of the pond you're in?

Camerman,
Thanks... It is a tripod. a Gitzo collapsed all the way down.... I stay with the tripod cause things change so much where I am at. in mots places so quickly. I might be on the sand and then 5 minutes later in 4 feet of water shooting back on something. so the tripod although a pain still seems to be the best all around option....

Thanks again everyone for the nice comments!!!

Daniel Behm
My Gallery (external link)| (external link)flickr | (external link)Facebook (external link)

Ed ­ Rotberg
620 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 21, 2011 11:41 |  #30

Aw heck Daniel! Looks like you could have gotten lower. ;) Great series, wonderful perspective. I love everything about these, color, composition detail perspective, and presentation. Well done! Waders are a must!

= Ed =

Ed Rotberg
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind!"
My Gallery (external link)
My Gear

sponsored links

4,649 views & 0 likes for this thread
Migration Underway in Northern Ohio
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Birds 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.