Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 23:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

One 32GB vs 2 16 GB SD Cards

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 17, 2011 13:59 |  #31

If the card going bad is the only real fear then inreasing the number of cards increases the chance of failure, increasing the problem you think exists in the first place.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

sponsored links
prrs4me
326 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 17, 2011 14:13 |  #32

More cards, less cards. It doesn't really matter. Use whatever you are comfortable with and what works for YOU!

NYC2SOCAL
207 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 17, 2011 14:22 |  #33

The never ending debate.. But if you're shooting video, the real question is 2x32GB or 1x64GB ;). My advice? Offload your files at the end of the day, everyday.

thepinched
THREAD ­ STARTER
51 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 17, 2011 14:28 |  #34

you spread out the risk of a single card going bad if you have multiple cards, but you increase the likelihood of a card going bad by having more...it seems that there is no right answer...except backup often.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 17, 2011 14:40 |  #35

thepinched wrote in post #12952831 (external link)
you spread out the risk of a single card going bad if you have multiple cards, but you increase the likelihood of a card going bad by having more...it seems that there is no right answer...except backup often.

What you may not have thought about is Mr. Murphy. For example, somebody I know very well drove some 40 miles to a party that he was going to photograph. Upon pulling the camera out of the case, it was discovered that the memory card that was supposed to be in the camera was left at home in the card reader.

Fortunately, I had three more memory cards in the camera case and there was no real problem except for the muffled aw xxit for the moment.

The bottom line is that there are MANY reasons why having only one memory card could cause the worst day of your life. You should have several memory cards as well as several batteries and have a way to mark them as available (or charged, in the case of batteries) or full/discharged.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 17, 2011 16:10 as a reply to  @ post 12949973 |  #36

If you go from 1 to 2 cards, you double of the chances of finding a bad one....not to mention losing one.

The only bad CF card I have ever had was a Duracell 32GB 600x bad from the box. The rest of their cards all tested 400x. So they were all returned.

I now use Lexar 32GB 600x cards in each body and read them with a Lexar USB 3 reader.

Bond_Savingsbond
893 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 17, 2011 16:58 as a reply to  @ MCAsan's post |  #37

Buy some Kingston Micro SD cards (the ones you find in Blackberries and other smart phones). They are less likely to fail, they can be a multipurpose card, and I was able to do 720 video on my old T1i with a class 4 8gb card. They never went corrupt on me (unlike the Duracell SD cards).

500px (external link)
My website (external link)
CAMTOGRAPHY (external link)
Fuji X-T2, xf18-55, Samyang 135 (heavy), Nikon 105(dirty), Vivitar 75-205, Helios 56(Fixed),Pentax 50 F1.9 (dirty)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 17, 2011 17:23 as a reply to  @ Bond_Savingsbond's post |  #38

recent CF and SD reviews

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1075401

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 18, 2011 08:13 |  #39

You guys really go over board with this "what if the card fails" thing. I've never had a card fail. Probably because I stick to the top brands of Sandisk, Lexar (my now preferred card of choice), and Transcend. There's no reason NOT to get a 32gb card. I'd doubt you can even fill it up in a day to begin with.

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 18, 2011 08:21 |  #40

+1 on what Razeus said.

get whatever you can afford. it doesnt matter. i have 4GBs, 8GBs and even 16GB cards. I normally use the 8GB cards mainly because I have alot of them. i normally switch cards during a pause point (downtime) or when one part of the event is over. Ceremony in one card, formal/family photos in one card, and blah blah blah

johnlo photography :
personal blog: http://www.jklimagery.​com (external link)
My Gear List

douflag
424 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Aug 18, 2011 10:25 |  #41

Shoot 16 gb of jpg. Haha. Space galore even on a 5d II.

Truthfully, I have 3 16gb cards in case one gets lost/broken/etc. If youre just starting out, it's berthed to go with multiple smaller cards.

FS: Nothing for now.

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Gallery: 90 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 18, 2011 10:49 |  #42

Everyone sorta glossed over the big point Jay was making back on page one: You can control what you do with your cards. That's all on you. There is nothing you can do to avoid a card going bad. That will happen whenever it damn well pleases.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 18, 2011 12:22 |  #43

Mike Deep wrote in post #12957383 (external link)
Everyone sorta glossed over the big point Jay was making back on page one: You can control what you do with your cards. That's all on you. There is nothing you can do to avoid a card going bad. That will happen whenever it damn well pleases.

exactly, and if you have only one card when the crap hits the fan then you are just plain out of luck..... you should have at least 2-3 cards with you when you go out shooting.

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

Dasweb
101 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 18, 2011 13:55 |  #44

I use a SanDisk Extreme 32GB (400x) and I love it, tons of room and great speed.

7D Gripped | 50mm F/1.4 | 135mm L | 70-200mm F/2.8 |

dharrisphotog
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 18, 2011 15:39 |  #45

With the D7000 and it's dual SD card slots, cards failing become even more of a non issue.

D800 | Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art | Nikkor 85mm 1.8G | Nikkor 70-200 2.8G
Gear | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

sponsored links

5,431 views & 0 likes for this thread
One 32GB vs 2 16 GB SD Cards
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.