Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 08:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What happened to my photo?

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,283 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 18, 2011 14:59 |  #31

andrew.gascho wrote in post #12958616 (external link)
Would you suggest new cards? Or just hope the problem doesn't get worse?

new cards. Sandisk usually play well with Canon gear. There is no reason you should be getting that type of failure rate.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 18, 2011 15:01 |  #32

I'm no expert, but it sounds like it could be the camera or the cards, but my money is on the camera.

These cards are not that expensive.. I'd probably either return them or buy another one (different vendor) and then try to reproduce the problem on a different card. If you can't, there's a good chance it is the cards; if you can, the camera goes in for service with the card in the slot (with the corrupted images still on the card).

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,269 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 18, 2011 15:01 |  #33

I'd reformat them and use them in some non critical applications just to see if the problem repeats.

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 18, 2011 15:08 |  #34

gonzogolf wrote in post #12958640 (external link)
I'd reformat them and use them in some non critical applications just to see if the problem repeats.

The third post in this thread indicates that he had just formatted then in-camera before taking these shots.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,269 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 18, 2011 15:10 |  #35

hairy_moth wrote in post #12958673 (external link)
The third post in this thread indicates that he had just formatted then in-camera before taking these shots.

Yes, I read that. I'd still try to get it to repeat until I had some clear idea of the pattern.

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 18, 2011 15:17 |  #36

At this point, the problem is affecting such a small percentage of the pictures, that I think I would just get one new card and throw it into the mix. Then (through the course of normal shooting) see if the problem happens again and, if it does, does it always happen with the same cards.

Trying to re-create the problem in order to identify a pattern could take thousands of activations. How many activations is a 5DII rated for?

simonjs
57 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 18, 2011 15:21 |  #37

I have had similar problems the first time with a Duracell card where most of the images looked like yours, and a Sandisk card where there were about six, I beleive the Sandisk card was a fake, I returned all the cards.
I have used over 10 different cards since without problems so I concluded the cards were at fault and not the camera.
I was able to extract most of the embedded JPEG's using Breeze Browser.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,283 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 18, 2011 16:29 |  #38

hairy_moth wrote in post #12958709 (external link)
At this point, the problem is affecting such a small percentage of the pictures, that I think I would just get one new card and throw it into the mix....

1 out of 100 is not low at all. Maybe if it was 1 out of 10000 but a 1% failure rate is not tolerable.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 18, 2011 16:47 |  #39

gjl711 wrote in post #12959105 (external link)
1 out of 100 is not low at all. Maybe if it was 1 out of 10000 but a 1% failure rate is not tolerable.

The OP gave different numbers. In one post he said 8-10 times out of 1000, in another he said 7 (6 on one card, 1 on another). The second post provides more detail and is more likely to be accurate, so it is 0.7%.

Still, 0.7% or 1%, how many activations will it take to establish a pattern: maybe 30k. I wouldn't take that many unnecessary pictures. (He would also need to spend time viewing each of the 5DmkII raws since the problem doesn't show up in the thumbnails -- how long will that take?)

So, for me, the options are:
1. Establish the pattern through normal shooting.
2. Send the camera in now for service and pay Canon at least $90 unless it is under warranty.

Lenni
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Aug 18, 2011 17:25 |  #40

Hey,
I have one more suggestion:
I got same kind of results when reading the pictures from card reader, different kind of colored stripes and boxes.
In my case, I found out that I had one faulty RAM memory card in my PC - my cameras and memory cards were OK.
I run an RAM memory check, and this was clearly showig the faulty card.
Lenni

rpaul
636 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 18, 2011 17:39 |  #41

Jeez, too much discussion here ... it's pretty simple.

1) Exchange or return the cards. Better safe than sorry. I'm sure you have enough to hold you over while you get a new set.

2) While the new set ships, test with your existing cards, to see if your camera is at fault. Just continuous-mode as many as you can ... fill a couple cards up. See if there are any corrupted photos. Time consuming, but you need to rule out your camera.

3) If it's not your camera, then when the new cards arrive, test them too. Maybe the model you bought (Extreme, Extreme Pro, whatever) doesn't play well with your camera. This would be extremely surprising, but again ... you have to rule it out. Better to spend time testing than explaining to clients that your card ate the money shot.

Rob | rmpaul.com (external link)
Gear 'n Stuff (external link)
C&C always welcome

sponsored links

3,412 views & 0 likes for this thread
What happened to my photo?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.