Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 23 Jul 2009 (Thursday) 22:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Talk

C.Michael
754 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 18, 2011 06:09 |  #1111

roosterslayer wrote in post #12956256 (external link)
Christopher- nice shots!
Dave- those came out nice considering you shot against a window.

here's a couple of my yashica (i normally take a couple pics of every new camera i buy)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Thanks mate.

I was keen on the Yashi Electro 35 as a 'compact' rangefinder. I was unsure of the ability to go full manual though? What lens does it have?

Before I got my AE-1 I wanted a compact rangefinder with full manual override and a lens faster than F/2. I struggled to find one :(. The Oly 35 SP was an option but too expensive.

www.christophermorriso​n.com.au (external link)
Canon 5D Classic w/ grip | 50mm f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 | 430EX II + YN460II

sponsored links
helloagain36
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 18, 2011 10:25 |  #1112

Dude, that thing looks pristine...I might have to look into getting one of those...I would love to have a small lightweight rangefinder with a wide fast lens that doesn't break the bank. :)

Christopher- nice shots!
Dave- those came out nice considering you shot against a window.

here's a couple of my yashica (i normally take a couple pics of every new camera i buy)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

-Dave

C.Michael
754 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 18, 2011 10:26 |  #1113

helloagain36 wrote in post #12957268 (external link)
Dude, that thing looks pristine...I might have to look into getting one of those...I would love to have a small lightweight rangefinder with a wide fast lens that doesn't break the bank. :)

Could stick with Canon and get the Canonet G-III QL17. Had one for a while - beautiful camera.

www.christophermorriso​n.com.au (external link)
Canon 5D Classic w/ grip | 50mm f/1.8 | 85 f/1.8 | 430EX II + YN460II

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 18, 2011 11:02 |  #1114

C.Michael wrote in post #12956267 (external link)
I was keen on the Yashi Electro 35 as a 'compact' rangefinder. I was unsure of the ability to go full manual though? What lens does it have?

That's not just an Electro 35, it's an Electro 35 GSN (hot shoe). It does not have a "manual" mode, but will fire at 1/500", 1/30" (flash sync) or 'B'. It's not as compact as the Canonets, of which the G-III QL17 is the best and has a better focusing ring (a stem). I have both cameras and use each (along with two Fujica 35-SEs, f/2.8 and f/1.9, and V2 that is getting rebuilt by Mark Hama ATM - see pic). The Yashica has better optics, but the Canonet is no slouch. The Canonet also has meter information in the finder so you can tell both shutter speed and aperture. The Yashica only tells you aperture. You can get batteries for the Yashica (requires 2 and it's voltage-regulated), but the Canonet takes the 1.35V mercury oxides, which are no longer available. Thus you need to buy the Wein cells (which are only good for a few months) or the CRIS MR-9 adapter for 1.5V silver oxides. This adapter regulates the voltage to 1.35V and the silver oxide battery will last a few years with normal use.

I have updated manuals in PDFs for the Canonet and the Yashica if you want them.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

Ranie ­ Dib
408 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 18, 2011 16:08 |  #1115

I miss having my Cannonet. :( Sold all my MF and my M42 gear so I can focus only on two camera bodies (to cure my G.A.S.). Stuck with the Nikkormat Ft2 and a Series E 50mm. Heavy, but compact.

Here are a few shots from my Salyut-C and Nikkormat + Series E 50mm.

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6199/6053517561_4144276bc0_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6085/6053542837_896c9c0c7d_z.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6076/6054092508_ed90c59f69_z.jpg

www.raniedib.com (external link)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 18, 2011 16:19 |  #1116

Love the color palette of Fuji 160S film.

Transportation - S.F.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Mamiya 645 Super 80/1.9 ISO 160 f/2.8 1/250 Fuji 160S

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,490 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 18, 2011 21:44 as a reply to  @ jetcode's post |  #1117

Aww man...was doing research on a Yashica Electro 35 and stumbled upon a bunch of images from a Contax G1...definitely a big price difference from the Yashica but wow are the Contax frames super sharp...Those Zeiss lenses sure are no joke :) I may end up going that route instead...I feel so indecisive!

-Dave

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 18, 2011 22:29 as a reply to  @ helloagain36's post |  #1118

here's a couple of my yashica

Beautiful! Where did you find that?

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

Hypnotizedd
252 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 18, 2011 23:07 as a reply to  @ TheBurningCrown's post |  #1119

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

can anyone explain what that sort of haze is on his arm?

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 18, 2011 23:20 |  #1120

those are newton rings. your scanner glass does not have an anti-newton coating. it has to do with the way a piece of film sits on the glass.

Hypnotizedd
252 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 18, 2011 23:23 |  #1121

jetcode wrote in post #12961039 (external link)
those are newton rings. your scanner glass does not have an anti-newton coating. it has to do with the way a piece of film sits on the glass.

how can i fix that? im using an epson 4490

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 18, 2011 23:24 |  #1122

I get better dynamic range out of my scanner (Screen Cezanne Elite) than a 5DII. I am beginning to warm up to the labor of dusting in order to enjoy a really nice image file. Fuji 160S again. Really liking the blue here and the generous depth in color and luminance.

Darius - S.F.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Mamiya 645 Super Fuji 160S ISO 160 80/1.9 f/1.9 1/500

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 18, 2011 23:25 |  #1123

Hypnotizedd wrote in post #12961063 (external link)
how can i fix that? im using an epson 4490

You can buy anti-newton spray that may help. I think oil mounting helps though it is messy as hell. My scanner (Screen Cezanne Elite) has anti-newton coating which is the best solution ($20k prepress scanner).

JDB
400 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 19, 2011 00:12 |  #1124

helloagain36 wrote in post #12960496 (external link)
Aww man...was doing research on a Yashica Electro 35 and stumbled upon a bunch of images from a Contax G1...definitely a big price difference from the Yashica but wow are the Contax frames super sharp...Those Zeiss lenses sure are no joke :) I may end up going that route instead...I feel so indecisive!

The Contax gear occasionally pops up for sale at www.apug.org (external link) - not too long ago there was a G2 setup with 3 or 4 lenses that sold for a very fair price... I too am lusting over one of these :)

www.JasonBoulanger.com (external link)

jasongraaf
624 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 19, 2011 00:13 |  #1125

Man, I'd kill to have such a nice scanner. I think I can confidently say that if I had a drum scanner or anything of near-equal quality I'd switch over to film-only. I love working with it, but the sharpness just isn't there on anything but the 4x5 negs.

Flickr (external link)
-------------

sponsored links

624,161 views & 1,033 likes for this thread
The Film Thread (Red Ring not Required) A place for Analog Photography Nuts to Talk
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.