Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 16:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50mm- Canon,Zeiss or Sigma

sm990
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 18, 2011 16:45 |  #1

Good evening folks.
this is my first thread here,;)
I need a lens for my canon T2i to take pictures in low light conditions (in pubs or something) without flash and i can't use a tripod.
I prefer manual focus and full manual camera ;-)a.
I've seen canon ef 50mm f 1.2L, Zeiss Plannar 50mm f1.4 and Sigma 50mm f1.4...
what do yous think?

Any advise for other lenses are welcome:...:D
Thanks

Mauro

sponsored links
Kirill
728 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 18, 2011 16:53 |  #2

not Sigma - two copies I had need different Microadjustments for indoor vs outdoor. Your T2i can Microadjust - so either Canon or Zeiss. May be Zeiss 50 now and Canon 35 later ?

omer
Goldmember
1,193 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 18, 2011 17:09 as a reply to  @ Kirill's post |  #3

are you sure you want 50 - it may not be wide enough
i say start with canon 50mm F1.4 - if 50 is the solution (i do not think the T2i can micro-adjust and going with F1.2 may require some )

R6 | 80D | 7D | M6 |RF24-105 STM|RF35 1.8| EF-S 15-85 |EF 70-300 L |Sig 150-600 C| Sig 10-20 | 50 1.8 |100 2.8 macro|28 F2.8 | efs24| efm 15-45| 270EX | 430EXII |

liupublic
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 18, 2011 17:12 |  #4

Kirill wrote in post #12959201 (external link)
not Sigma - two copies I had need different Microadjustments for indoor vs outdoor. Your T2i can Microadjust - so either Canon or Zeiss. May be Zeiss 50 now and Canon 35 later ?

That recommendation does not follow logic very well.

You want the OP to reject Sigma 50mm 1/4 because it has poor AF accuracy and then go on to recommend a Zeiss 50 which has no AF.

If that is the case, how about saving $400 from buying Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 and just use Sigma 50mm f/1.4 in manual focus mode only?

On a crop, Optics on Sigma is at least on par with Zeiss 50mm f/1.4. Probably better wide-open.

Back to OP's original question:
Other possible choices in the same range: Sigma 30 f/1.4, Canon 28mm f/1.8, Canon 35mm f/2.

For a beginner on a rebel, I would say the best option is a new Canon 50mm f/1.8 II. If OP likes the FL, then upgrade to the next level.

Still learning
Nikon D750, Sigma 24-105OS, 105mm 2.8g micro VR, Tamron 70-300VC

retour
462 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 18, 2011 17:20 as a reply to  @ liupublic's post |  #5

Zeiss 28 or 35 is another option to consider, but sigma 30 1.4 seems to a well loved lens on crop sensors

ZF.2 28/2, ZF.2 50/2 MP .... Rok 85/1.4
D700 .... P7000 .... FM-10 (film)
razzi (external link)

a_roadbiker
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 18, 2011 17:34 |  #6

I have the Canon 50 f/1.4 and use it frequently on my 40D (also a crop). It is a fantastic lens in every way: fast and quiet focus, sharp, and good bokeh. I also think that the price is reasonable. If you search in this section you will find plenty of similar discussions and comparisons between the Canon and Sigma f/1.4. You will also find that many people prefer the Sigma, but the problem with the Sigma, based on reading these threads, is that getting a good copy out of the box on the first shot is hit-or-miss. Many people have either gone through several copies or sent theirs to Sigma for calibration several times before getting one that was poperly calibrated. I can only speak for myself, but my Canon 50 f/1.4 was on the money right out of the box, and also based on what I have read, this has also been a typical experience. The Canon 50 f/1.4 is also well-received here in POTN. Some other considerations...

The Sigma comes with the Lens Hood, the Canon doesn't. But you can easily buy a lens hood and it probably equalizes the cost of shipping a lens to Sigma for calibration. I think that the Sigma also has a better warranty - the Canon is for one year.

Search the threads, read comments, and look for sample photo's (I have some in here someplace).

Good luck with your decision.

Jim

Click here to see a list of My Stuff

Visit my flickr (external link)
Like me on Facebook (external link)
www.jmaurophoto.com (external link)

Kirill
728 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 18, 2011 17:54 |  #7

liupublic wrote in post #12959290 (external link)
That recommendation does not follow logic very well.

You want the OP to reject Sigma 50mm 1/4 because it has poor AF accuracy and then go on to recommend a Zeiss 50 which has no AF.

If that is the case, how about saving $400 from buying Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 and just use Sigma 50mm f/1.4 in manual focus mode only?

I though about that - manual Zeiss vs. Sigma in manual focus. If OP thinks about Zeiss - he is willing to trade autofocus for some Zeiss magic. I personaly think there is no Sigma magic that justifies using Sigma 50 in manual focus only

stover98074
421 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 18, 2011 18:05 |  #8

You can use Nikkors, Takumars or C/Y Zeiss in manual focus on your EOS body.

I use a Nikkor AIS 50 1.2 and Super Takumar 50 1.4 (M42). The Nikkor runs about $350, the Takumar (or other 50 1.4) runs about $50. Both are very nice lenses and both inexpensive compared to their current day AF equivilants.

Shooting at 1.2 or even 1.4 and you have limited DOF. So you get the light, but can have a lot of out of focus areas with these faster lenses.

Another approach is to have a camera that supports higher ISO and/or do post processing for any noise.

This may be of interest for low light -

Joe McNally - Da Grip

World-famous photographer Joe McNally demonstrates his camera holding technique which helps capture sharper images at slower shutter speeds.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=EDsx3-FWfwk (external link)

Canon XSI, Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows, 50 Fujinon EP, 80 El Nikkor, 105 El Nikkor, 135 Fujinon EP
https://sites.google.c​om …xpensivemacroph​otography/ (external link)

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 18, 2011 18:12 |  #9

sm990 wrote in post #12959175 (external link)
Good evening folks.
this is my first thread here,;)
I need a lens for my canon T2i to take pictures in low light conditions (in pubs or something) without flash and i can't use a tripod.
I prefer manual focus and full manual camera ;-)a.
I've seen canon ef 50mm f 1.2L, Zeiss Plannar 50mm f1.4 and Sigma 50mm f1.4...
what do yous think?

Any advise for other lenses are welcome:...:D
Thanks

Mauro

50mm on a crop will probably be too tight. I would go with something like Sigma 30/1.4, 24L, or 35L

The ­ Devil
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 18, 2011 18:16 |  #10

The Sigma.
Though as mentioned above, the 30mm F1.4 might be a better fit on a crop camera.
And recommending a manual focus lens on a CROP body is quite silly, crop bodies have tiny viewfinders and you can't change the focusing screen on 'em(perhaps you can on some, someone more knowledgeable should correct me here).

A good photographer can take extraordinary photos anywhere, with any camera and any lens while a mediocre one will take mediocre ones everywhere, with every camera and every lens.
Never limit yourself with what others think you should do. Shoot what you find interesting, exactly the way you want to.
Flickr (external link) 500px (external link)

thestone11
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 18, 2011 18:47 |  #11

The Devil wrote in post #12959521 (external link)
The Sigma.
Though as mentioned above, the 30mm F1.4 might be a better fit on a crop camera.
And recommending a manual focus lens on a CROP body is quite silly, crop bodies have tiny viewfinders and you can't change the focusing screen on 'em(perhaps you can on some, someone more knowledgeable should correct me here).

You can change focusing screen on all canon Dslr. canon don't suggest changing the focusing screen on the rebel but with some skill and knowledge yo can do it. On the XXD and XD is very easy job.

Canon 5D MK II | Fuji X100 | Canon T2i | Canon 100mm macro f/2.8 | Canon 135L f/2 | Canon 50mm f/1.2 L | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-70mm f/2.8 L | 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM |Canon 430EX II Flash X2 | Pocketwizard TT5 & TT1

sm990
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 18, 2011 18:51 |  #12

Thanks everybody for the answers,:-)
I need a 50mm ff (80mm aps-c) for my shots.
I've seen many and many threads that compare canon with sigma but very few compering also a zeiss in terms of brightness.
My only doubt is how zeiss works in low light conditions...
I know positive and negative aspects of shooting at 1.2 or 1.4, and I know it's silly to shoot in MF but i found that: http://www.katzeyeopti​cs.com …non-DSLRs--cat_canon.html (external link).
my father had got a old reflex camera without af and stuff and I've practiced with it... that was photography ;-)a
Thanks Stover for the link!

BlueTsunami
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 18, 2011 18:59 |  #13

liupublic wrote in post #12959290 (external link)

Using the MF ring for pure Manual Focus shooting (this applies to all of Canon's AF 50 offerings and Sigma's 50) is a recipe for pain when compared to Zeiss offerings. The MF ring on AF lenses is a novelty if you plan to using the lens at its larger apertures.

The Devil wrote in post #12959521 (external link)

You can switch them out but they're not as easily accessible as the XXD or XD cameras. You don't have to unscrew a bunch of crap but its a bit of a clunky process. With that said I wouldn't get into Manual Focusing on a Rebel series camera if you don't plan on using a focusing aid (via Live View or a Precision Matte focusing screen). Here's a photo I had taken with my C/Y 50/1.7 wide open on a Rebel XT...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image%2fjpeg'

And here's my 28mm f/2 Nikkor AI at f/2...

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3105/5722569015_506569d887_b.jpg

People complain about the supposed shooting speed of Manual Focus shooting but I've come to find you can be just as quick if not quicker if the subject isn't moving quickly. Reason for this is not having the muddle with AF points or hoping your camera will focus on the exact spot you want. When manual focusing you compose, focus and shoot.

Flickr (external link)

sm990
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 18, 2011 19:29 |  #14

thanks BlueTsunami,
I also don't like AF and think you can be as quick or even quicker with MF. I thought I was the only one! :-)
Which brand for Precision Matte focusing screens would you advise me? I was used to the Split ones.

Nice pics! I'm more and more for Zeiss.

BlueTsunami
Goldmember
1,021 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 18, 2011 19:34 |  #15

sm990 wrote in post #12959805 (external link)
thanks BlueTsunami,
I also don't like AF and think you can be as quick or even quicker with MF. I thought I was the only one! :-)
Which brand for Precision Matte focusing screens would you advise me? I was used to the Split ones.

Nice pics! I'm more and more for Zeiss.

No problem! And I have a KatzEye installed for my Rebel XT. I believe they all come with a split prism and microprism doughnut area around the split prism that allows for even more precise focusing. If you want to go even farther with it, you should be able to get a 1.3x magnifier (like the KPS 1.3x magnifier) for the viewfinder that'll help even more with manual focusing. I can't give you first hand experience with with a magnifier though since I haven't used one yet but I've read that the focus screen + magnifier is a nice combination if you're shooting on a crop camera.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,666 views & 0 likes for this thread
50mm- Canon,Zeiss or Sigma
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.