Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 12:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

85L, a few minutes of your time!

EcoRick
Goldmember
1,863 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 18, 2011 20:46 as a reply to  @ post 12959719 |  #16

I have the 85L MkI and it's my go to lens for general shooting. However, I'm not sure of using one prime as an everyday lens. My experience is you'll quickly be buying more gear. For me, 85mm is a good range to keep on my camera most of the the time, not too long, not too wide. I purchased the MkI because I couldn't justify the cost of the II since it's only a hobby. It does take some time getting used to the focusing, but it will be the last lens I'd consider selling.

Gear: Canon 1Ds MkII, 35L, 85L, 135L, 24-105L

Cypther
147 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 18, 2011 21:12 |  #17

Honestly the 85L mark II is one of Canon's best lenses under 3k period, it's tie between the 135L for the best portrait lens.

Lakyla.com (external link)
5D Mark II | EF 16-35 II f/2.8 L | EF 35 f/1.4 L | EF 85 f/1.2 II L | EF 135 f/2.0 L | 2x 600EX-RT

newworld666
Goldmember
2,306 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 19, 2011 01:18 |  #18

:confused: . I am just like a half pro (action/sport dog shows and quadbike racing).. and basically an hobbyist for decades (trips all over the world) ..

Little by little I have quit all zooms (mainly 70-200 and 70-300 lengh) and went to 135L, then to 85L (zooms were not versatile enough for indoor/night shooting .
What I can say, is that 85L needs a real good training due to high CA in certain circumstance (between F1.2 and F1.6) and an ultra thin DOF which make AF rather tricky, but once you are trained and beacame skilled enough to track a subject'eyes, head, body with an appropriate AF point.
85L is a terribly versatile action/sport lens, it's the only lens which can focus accurately in the dark (indoor/outdoor), at least much better than 135L which is just hunting. (things are maybe easier with 1D series or apsc).
CA can be mostly controlled trough post postprocessing, but the best is too understand what will make CA and try to close a bit when such thing is in the frame.

As every day life, I also use a 24L1.4II ....

I don't use my 50F1.4 (definitely too soft till F2.8 or even F4. Actually, my 135L stays on the shell, not as versatile as 85L, but a very good lens too.. If I had to get only one lens, I would take 50L1.2 ..

Marc
5DMKII+1Dx 24L1.4II 85L1.2II 180L3.5 300F2.8nonIS TC2XII ..... Sigma14F2.8AFDG, Zuiko 500F/8 Reflex
http://myc-photos.eu (external link)

Arteel
439 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 19, 2011 01:33 |  #19

If you're only planning on having one lens, I agree with the majority and would choose the 50mm.
Everyone's shooting styles are different, but I have been exclusively using the 50 1.4 for all of my photography, and have not felt restricted one bit. When I had the 85mm 1.8 and 135L I still had the 50mm mounted 80% of the time.

5Dc | EF 50 1.4 | EF 70-200 2.8L IS
-Ryan

towersinthesky
THREAD ­ STARTER
337 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 19, 2011 08:52 |  #20

Thanks again!, gonna order the 50L next week. I'm sure i'll be happy!

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,623 views & 0 likes for this thread
85L, a few minutes of your time!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.