Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 12 Jan 2011 (Wednesday) 16:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Most overused phrases in photography?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 18, 2011 16:11 |  #796

photoguy6405 wrote in post #12958827 (external link)
"Google is your friend".

Sometimes people spend as much or more time saying that as they would have just answering the question. Plus, they also fail to consider that part of the reason people engage in forums is for the social interaction, as limited as it is. If it really bothers you that people ask questions, go surf the net by yourself.

It's actually against the "rules" here for someone to reply to a posted question by just saying something like "Google is your friend". I've been in less "moderate" news groups where that was a fairly common practice, and it used to really irritate me.

I do encourage people to search the forum and Google, but it is always part of something helpful.

For instance, I just wanted to help the folks here who wonder what the heck we are talking about so I Googled "google is your friend" and got this page:

http://www.google.com …urceid=ie7&rlz=​1I7ADRA_en (external link)

Enjoy:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Aug 18, 2011 16:25 |  #797

Hmmm, Tony... let me google that for you (external link)...

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 18, 2011 16:35 |  #798

Heh! There ya go:)!

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

andrewhuxman
Cream of the Crop
8,601 posts
Joined May 2005

Aug 18, 2011 16:37 |  #799

" I bet you can see the moon with that "

A little L goes a long way.

Canon 5D4, 7D2, 7D, 40D, gripped,16-35MM 2.8L,24-105MM F4L,70-200MM 2.8 IS USM L,500MM F4L
www.machtwomedia.com (external link)

dino211
174 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Aug 19, 2011 00:08 |  #800

"This photo does nothing for me."
If that is the case, why make any comment. If the photo is indeed that bad, then you just succeeded in bumping it to the top of the thread again. Be quiet and let it die a quick death at the bottom of the page.

Dean
Canon 7Dii, 5Dii, 100-400L, 70-200L f4is, 100 macro, 300L f4is, 24-105L f4i

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 19, 2011 00:32 |  #801

dino211 wrote in post #12961246 (external link)
If that is the case, why make any comment. If the photo is indeed that bad, then you just succeeded in bumping it to the top of the thread again. Be quiet and let it die a quick death at the bottom of the page.

Well, that's one take on that phrase.

And then, my grandma used to say "If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all",

But that was a long time ago and is old-fashioned and was before the Internet with anonymous posting...

I guess my other take on it is that that person is only speaking for themselves, so you really have to take such things as only the opinion of one person, so I wouldn't assume an image would just "die a quick death". I just don't care for the comment in and of itself because it contributes nothing to meaningful critique.

Tony

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 19, 2011 15:12 |  #802

dino211 wrote in post #12961246 (external link)

I don't necessarily agree. It depends on if the person asked for feedback. If they didn't, then yes, it is best to move on. But if they are looking for feedback, then "this does nothing for me" is a valid comment on the subject matter and/or composition.

It would be helpful if the person expanded on that, though, and said *why* it does nothing for them.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 19, 2011 15:45 |  #803

photoguy6405 wrote in post #12964311 (external link)
I don't necessarily agree. It depends on if the person asked for feedback. If they didn't, then yes, it is best to move on. But if they are looking for feedback, then "this does nothing for me" is a valid comment on the subject matter and/or composition.

It would be helpful if the person expanded on that, though, and said *why* it does nothing for them.

I agree with this.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 19, 2011 16:14 |  #804

Saying "it does nothing for me" isn't a good thing to say, in my opinion, because it's so non-specific. Plus, it sounds a bit selfish.
I think that constructive criticism is good, but that phrase just seems condescending or insincere.

People can come up with something nicer than that.

Thank you. bw!

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 19, 2011 16:17 |  #805

I think one of the most overused phrases (I'm applying the term "phrase" loosely) is to constantly hate on Ken Rockwell. I happen to think he's right about a lot of things, and I admire that he put his passion to good use. I sometimes think he is a bit condescending, but I don't see what he's doing as a bad thing. He adds to the world of photography.

Thank you. bw!

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
38,948 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 19, 2011 16:28 |  #806

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #12964551 (external link)
Saying "it does nothing for me" isn't a good thing to say, in my opinion, because it's so non-specific. Plus, it sounds a bit selfish.
I think that constructive criticism is good, but that phrase just seems condescending or insincere.

People can come up with something nicer than that.

I see it as neither condescending nor insincere. To me, it just implies that it evokes no particular emotions of any kind, which I think is a fair enough comment.

number ­ six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,941 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 19, 2011 16:32 |  #807

Roy Mathers wrote in post #12964625 (external link)
I see it as neither condescending nor insincere. To me, it just implies that it evokes no particular emotions of any kind, which I think is a fair enough comment.

Funny, that's how I feel about Ken Rockwell. ;)

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
38,948 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 19, 2011 16:48 |  #808

A fair-enough comment:)

cptrios
Goldmember
1,744 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 19, 2011 17:25 |  #809

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #12964555 (external link)
I think one of the most overused phrases (I'm applying the term "phrase" loosely) is to constantly hate on Ken Rockwell. I happen to think he's right about a lot of things, and I admire that he put his passion to good use. I sometimes think he is a bit condescending, but I don't see what he's doing as a bad thing. He adds to the world of photography.

I think he provides tons and tons of useful information for people, but he's a very "vanilla" sort of guy. Reading his site is a lot like reading a decent photography book from the 70s; plenty of important stuff that helps you along, but you know that things have changed since it was written and people are doing much more interesting, exciting things.

One thing that really bothers me about him is his slightly anti-RAW stance. As someone who hates shooting in JPEG with a passion, this paragraph sends me through the roof:

I never shoot raw. Why would I? Raw is a waste of time and space, and doesn't look any better than JPG even when you can open the files.

Of course it's good to explain the differences to people and let them know when it's likely they don't need to shoot RAW...but to poo-poo RAW as too much work and say it doesn't look any better is total hogwash. One thing, for example, that pisses me off when I'm trying to evaluate a lens using pixel-peeper.com is that most of the pictures were shot in JPEG, which pre-obliterates fine detail and makes them utterly useless on a sharpness-judging level.

It's that kind of misinformation that gets him the abuse!

Fuji X100 / Sony NEX-7 / Contax G 45mm f/2 / The ghosts of 3 Canon bodies past / A meagre amount of talent
My weak lil' 500px (external link)

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 19, 2011 17:45 |  #810

"... for the money"

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

sponsored links

94,661 views & 11 likes for this thread
Most overused phrases in photography?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.