Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 11:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CPL and UV filter for Canon 10-22mm

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
26,309 posts
Gallery: 953 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 18, 2011 11:53 |  #1

owners of this lens....questions for you.

1. How often do you use CPL or do you recommend to use it.
2. How about UV filter do you always have it on?
3. What CPL or UV filter are better but not too pricey.

I asked because some people don't want to put filter in their lens they say it degrade
the IQ. Sorry for the noob questions.

Thanks,

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 1Dx1, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF100 -400 f4.5-5.6L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII.

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 18, 2011 12:19 |  #2

All three of your questions have been WELL documented MANY times. One is even a Sticky! Did you try searching first?

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Peter2516
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
26,309 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 18, 2011 12:24 |  #3

cool thanks...

Peter
EOS 5D Mark IV, 1Dx1, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF100 -400 f4.5-5.6L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII.

windpig
Chopped liver
14,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 18, 2011 12:29 |  #4

1) when needed
2) only with blowing sand or spray
3) you get what you pay for. A CPL is an investment, you can you use step down rings to cover muli lenses with different filter sizes.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Peter2516
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
26,309 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 18, 2011 12:35 |  #5

Thanks windpig....I appreciate it.

Peter

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 18, 2011 12:37 |  #6

Peter2516 wrote in post #12957749 (external link)
owners of this lens....questions for you.

1. How often do you use CPL or do you recommend to use it.
2. How about UV filter do you always have it on?
3. What CPL or UV filter are better but not too pricey.

1. I use one as and when it will improve the picture. For skies you need to be aware that the effect will be weaker at one side of the picture than the other, due to the wide field of view, so your deep blue sky will fade to a paler blue on the other side. This can look OK with some pics but not with others, so use with caution.

When not used for deepening blue skies though, the fading effect is much less noticeable and a CPL can be extremely useful for killing reflections in selected parts of an image. In that role, it doesn't matter if you only remove reflections from part of a lake, or half the windows in a building. Reflections in life affect different parts of a scene more than others and it looks perfectly natural. If using it to reduce reflections on a car, for example, you can only do the side or the upper surfaces anyway, due to the angles of the subject, you can kill the reflections in the windscreen or sidewindows as you choose, but not both at the same time.

2. Never, but I never use one on any of my other lenses either. They are expensive if you get one that won't knacker your images and have little or no practical benefit in my eyes, certainly not enough to justify the expense.

3. I have 4 Kood CPL filters, a filter that has a good quality and doesn't impair IQ, whilst offering a saving over the top name brands. they do seem to only be available in the European market though. Avoid the cheap ones, as they will affect IQ noticeably.

Peter2516
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
26,309 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 18, 2011 13:37 |  #7

Thanks sandpiper for very good advise and information. I appreciate it.

Peter

Russ61
265 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 18, 2011 20:19 |  #8

I own a 10-22mm lens and use a CPL or UV filter on it at all times. They are high quality Hoya SMC Pro-1 (not Pro-1D) and SMC filters respectively. If I had it to do over (and may anyways) I'd get the B+W filters in their MRC versions, probably thru Maxsaver. Photographers are divided into 2 camps re use of a "protective" filter, both equally passionate about their positions. Personally, I feel that with few exceptions the avoidance of a protective filter is based on outdated mythology. A high quality, multicoated filter will generally give you equal or better results than a naked lens with the additional benefit of protecting the lens and its coatings. I use my gear in various outdoor conditions that are subject to rain, snow, ocean spray, dust, pollen, and little kids quick fingers! Cleaning a relatively less expensive (less than lens) but high quality replaceable filter is a lot less worrisome than doing so on a lens....but to each his own. I'll concede that I'll never convert others nor do I care to. I have my reasons and that's good enough for me. If someone comes up with hard evidence (vs perpetuated rumors/myths/hearsay) I'll reconsider.....but in years/decades I have yet to see such.

The thing re use of a CPL on the 10-22mm is that its FOV (field of view) is 107-67 deg meaning that the 90 deg arc encompassing the maximum and minimum effect of a polarizer will ALWAYS be included when at 10mm and mostly included even at 22 deg. Using it when compositions include large areas of sky etc needs to done judiciously. As mentioned earlier, when used on compositions principally consisting of vegetation and other elements the effect can be tweaked for where it makes the optimal effect.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 18, 2011 21:07 |  #9

I use a B+W Kaesemann MRC CPL on my 10-22mm, often given what I shoot with that lens. Mine is not the slim type, works great.

I don't own a UV filter for it.

T2i4me
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 19, 2011 00:14 |  #10

Peter as you know I have this lens, I have a Sigma CPL and I do use a Hoya HMC UV filter on it most of the time. I have shot dozens of test shots with the UV and w/o and I personally have not seen any difference in photo quality. As for the CPL I have mixed reviews, at 10mm the sky is quite wide and I get a dark blue area right in the center and lighter sky on either side, it does not look right. However at 22 mm it's much less noticeable. I don't believe it has to do with the quality of the CPL I think it's due to the vast amount of angle the lens picks up and the light rays are different at the wide angles..

-- Eric --
5DC - T2i - 100-400 L IS - 70-200 F4 L - 17-40 L - EF 85 1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 15-85 IS - EF-S 60 macro - 430EX II

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 19, 2011 05:19 |  #11

1. When needed. If the sun is near the horizon then you can get a dark band arching across the sky.
2. Never. The best feature of the 10-22 is the fact that it just doesn't profuce flare. Why ruin it with a 'protective' filter.
3. The best is also the cheapest - no filter.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Unrising ­ Muffin
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 19, 2011 06:42 |  #12

Quick note: if you buy either CPL or UV for that lens, make sure to buy slim. I got a used 10-22 which came with the usual UV filter and, at wide angle (10mm), I got some dark corners in my pics. That filter is now a coffee cup or glass coaster (get it? glass... coaster...)

Hermeto
Cream of the Crop
6,674 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 19, 2011 07:13 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Unrising Muffin wrote in post #12962055 (external link)
Quick note: if you buy either CPL or UV for that lens, make sure to buy slim. I got a used 10-22 which came with the usual UV filter and, at wide angle (10mm), I got some dark corners in my pics. That filter is now a coffee cup or glass coaster (get it? glass... coaster...)

Hmm, my experience is just the opposite!
I have both the UV and CPL B+W standard filters and use them as needed with 10-22, and I never had a trace of vignetting.

I'd say that slim filters are not needed for that lens.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

ottacat
171 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 19, 2011 07:20 |  #14

My 10-22 has been my fav lens this summer and I never use a UV filter on it and only rarely have I used a CPL. When I have used a CPL it has been for controlling water reflections not darkening skies due to the uneven results others have explained. However I have used GND's extensively but I know that's not your question.

7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 70-200L IS II, EF 100 macro, 1.4 TC III, 430 EX II
Flickr (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 19, 2011 09:19 |  #15

Unrising Muffin wrote in post #12962055 (external link)

I don't have the slim version and have no "dark corners" (vignetting) in my shots.

sponsored links

3,753 views & 0 likes for this thread
CPL and UV filter for Canon 10-22mm
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.