Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 04 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 17:07
Search threadPrev/next

Post your best FLAKE excuses =)

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 26, 2011 02:29 |  #166

Ebwly wrote in post #12823562 (external link)
It's much easier to be an a__hole to words than people...

English much?

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

Traci_Ann
I'm a masochist
3,595 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2005

Jul 26, 2011 09:27 |  #167

BoneJj wrote in post #12823729 (external link)
English much?

This, POTN, is an international site. The owner is from Finland if I recall. Not everyone here speaks english as a first language. With that said, I under what was said perfectly. So should I say, "Comprehension Much?" ;)

Sevas Tra

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jul 26, 2011 13:26 |  #168

Jaymz wrote in post #12824759 (external link)
This, POTN, is an international site. The owner is from Finland if I recall. Not everyone here speaks english as a first language. With that said, I under what was said perfectly. So should I say, "Comprehension Much?" ;)

how did I know that this one was going to come?? lmao, oh well.....

--Bone | FSS (external link) | flickr (external link) | Gear list (external link) |

CalebG
298 posts
Joined May 2009

Jul 27, 2011 21:58 |  #169

hilarious thread, most of the one that have flaked on me vanish into thin air, never answering calls or emails.

Caleb Garvin of Natural Images Photography
On Flickr  (external link)

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 28, 2011 02:45 |  #170

Hilarious thread :D
I can't say that I recognize any of it though.

So far, I have never had a no-show and only one last minute cancellation.
And the cancellation was justified. Her brother had been in a fairly serious car accident that morning. She could of course have been making that up. But if that was the case, I would have to give her credit for her dedication to the lie, as the call came from the hospital.
And she called me about a week later to reschedule.

I have never used MM, but I get a feeling that it is the source of a lot of headaches.

SleepingPachuco
36 posts
Joined May 2011

Jul 31, 2011 19:04 |  #171

MM has got me some amazing models but there have been some pretty bad experiences...MM is an alright resource but you have to filter through the mud

60D /18-135 3.5-5.6 /Nifty Fifty /75-300 4-5.6 /Rode VideoMic

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 02, 2011 09:31 |  #172

We had a model for a shoot I helped at that almost didn't shOw up bc she said her family was doing an intervention on the mother...

But she ended up staying till 12:00pm when we wanted to start at 9am but didn't until after 11:15am. Wow big 45 minutes of her standing like a log lol

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

Drk ­ Orange
694 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2004

Aug 16, 2011 05:30 |  #173

1. My mother is in hospital. (an hour before the shoot)
2. my kid is sick (no notice)
3. Vanish off the face off the earth - no cancellation, no apology, no return e-mail.
4. My mother is in hospital (no notice)
5. I suddenly have a uni exam. (after I was waiting a half hour)
6. My mother is in hospital (I am starting to see a trend here)
7. Vanish off the face of the earth, no return e-mails.
8. I have just broken up with my boyfriend.

While not technically a flake, I had a potential model bail midway through discussing ideas for a shoot after I explained to her what TFP meant - apparently she wants to only work with real photographers, and I don't charge enough to be classed as a real photographer. Her current "portfolio" consists of shots of her doing pub swimsuit comps.

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,553 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 16, 2011 06:32 |  #174

I was once going to do an outdoor shoot with a model, but when we got to the location is was rather window and would have blown over the lights. So we decide to go to a nearby shopping mall for a while to see if the wind dies down. She says she's going to the toilet and vanishes. Never comes back.

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

dsmPhotoCompany
Goldmember
2,339 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 18, 2011 08:17 |  #175

When you start requiring financial compensation for your time, the only "excuse" then is "I can't afford it". And that's done upfront (along with the portrait contract/model release) so you're not dealing with flakes.

www.dsmphotocompany.co​m (external link) · dsmPC Facebook (external link) · www.iclickphotography.​com (external link) · iClick Facebook (external link)
SuperShoots (external link) · ModelMayhem (external link) · Flickr (external link) · ∞500px (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 19, 2011 12:04 |  #176

Tiberius47 wrote in post #12943932 (external link)
I was once going to do an outdoor shoot with a model, but when we got to the location is was rather window and would have blown over the lights. So we decide to go to a nearby shopping mall for a while to see if the wind dies down. She says she's going to the toilet and vanishes. Never comes back.

I wouldn't put the blame entirely on the model for that. You should have been able to adapt to conditions. Put away the umbrellas and use different modifiers; use more sandbags; have an assistant hold the stands; move to a different location to continue the shoot.

It's pretty rude of her to just ditch you, but you were wasting her time.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

12nine
117 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 19, 2011 21:34 as a reply to  @ post 12444499 |  #177

Very interesting observations, Nathan.

Gear: 1ds Mk III, 1d Mk II, Canon 85 1.2L, Canon 50 1.2L, Canon 70-200 2.8L, Canon 24-70 2.8L , Canon 17-40 4.0L , Sigma 105mm macro
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Tiberius
Goldmember
2,553 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 20, 2011 00:27 |  #178

Except I had no assistants, and no other light modifiers... I only do this as a hobby, and I'm limited to what I can carry on my bike.

My photography website!PHOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)

quiksquirrel
608 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 20, 2011 01:01 |  #179

dsmPhotoCompany wrote in post #12956588 (external link)
When you start requiring financial compensation for your time, the only "excuse" then is "I can't afford it". And that's done upfront (along with the portrait contract/model release) so you're not dealing with flakes.

While this is true, many of us do unpaid work as well as paid work.
The concept of TFP is not reserved for the beginner. I for one like to help a new model build their portfolio and their experience every once in a while. In return, I get a lot of creative freedom, and some photos that I might not otherwise have gotten.
Not to mention a few hours of fun shooting.

Tiberius47 wrote in post #12966693 (external link)
Except I had no assistants, and no other light modifiers... I only do this as a hobby, and I'm limited to what I can carry on my bike.

The point is still valid.
I prefer to work as "light" as I can, and don't always bring an assistant with me on shoots. But I always make sure to scout the location properly and take things like potential unforeseen weather changes and other such factors into account.

In the past, I have dealt with small things like wind, with nothing more than than a lightweight tarp tied to a couple of trees.
The bag that I use for flash guns, batteries, tools and such, has a removable inner bottom, under which i always keep a lightweight 10x12' tarp. Takes up very little space and can come in handy more often than you might think.

BoneJj
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 20, 2011 07:29 |  #180

What bag are you using that has room for that big of a tarp?

73,540 views & 1 like for this thread
Post your best FLAKE excuses =)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.