Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Aug 2011 (Friday) 22:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Painter's Pole? (for those that do) How are you attaching a mono light to it

this thread is locked
rsieminski
733 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 19, 2011 22:17 |  #1

I have read this in a number of posts, and wondering how you do it safely?

--Rick
Website | (external link)Flickr | (external link)facebook | (external link)ModelMayhem (external link)

Please 'Like' my fan page by clicking here (external link)

sponsored links
lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 19, 2011 22:37 |  #2

I think that I monolight would be pretty heavy to hold on one, but it they're doing it, it is probably with one of these (external link).

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

rsieminski
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 19, 2011 22:49 |  #3

I saw that, but thought the price a little ridiculous.

--Rick
Website | (external link)Flickr | (external link)facebook | (external link)ModelMayhem (external link)

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Aug 19, 2011 23:55 |  #4

rsieminski wrote in post #12966281 (external link)

You find a $20 piece of metal made for a very specific and niche market ridiculous? I strongly disagree (both because of it's usefulness and the cost of producing a product for such a small market).

I own all sorts of gear, much of which came at a relatively painful price...but there are few items or accessories that I've bought that have led to such an improvement in my results. Having an assistant holding a lightpole allows me to be much more daring/creative in my lighting (by trying things that may not work well and being able to reposition instantaneously), more finicky (by having assistant feather or move the light by a matter of inches w/o having to set down the camera/move the stand), and to increase the overall pace, flow, and energy of the shoot by speeding up setup times by avoiding lightstands altogether. Additionally, if I'm looking for a decent amount of movement, motion, or walking from the model, my assistant can move with the model to ensure that the lighting will be consistent and properly aimed throughout the shoot. Lastly, I can have an assistant standing with a light on a steep hill or rocky coast that would be impossible for a lightstand (even with a leveling leg), therefore allowing me to light in environments that were previously unusable.

Have I said I like the kacey adapter yet? :D

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

ninetwentynine
Goldmember
1,045 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 20, 2011 00:02 as a reply to  @ Cathpah's post |  #5

^ did not read.

but the kacey adapter has gotten a lot of good reviews from many users on this board.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,505 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 20, 2011 09:22 |  #6

Kacey adapter. Well worth it IMHO. And if you do decide to get a pole, get a longer one where one end rests of the ground. Much easier for the assistant when holding strobe with bigger modifier.

Fuji XT-1, 18-55mm
Sony A7rIV, , Tamron 28-200mm, Sigma 40mm f1.4 Art FE, Sony 85mm f1.8 FE, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art FE
Fuji GFX50s, 23mm f4, 32-64mm, 45mm f2.8, 110mm f2, 120mm f4 macro
Canon 24mm TSE-II, 85mm f1.2 L II, 90mm TSE-II Macro, 300mm f2.8 IS I

rudy_216
299 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 20, 2011 17:35 |  #7

rsieminski wrote in post #12966281 (external link)

If you made them, how much would you charge for it? And then the dealer has to make something on it.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 20, 2011 20:26 |  #8

Cathpah wrote in post #12966568 (external link)
You find a $20 piece of metal made for a very specific and niche market ridiculous? I strongly disagree (both because of it's usefulness and the cost of producing a product for such a small market).

Ha ha, thats what I thought at first too! Then I realized OP IS looking to use a "painters pole" (which could mean a wooden broom stick for all I know) as a light boom pole. Personally I believe in the right tool for the right job and not half-butting anything. I wouldnt attempt any boom lighting without a high quality Avenger stand and boom arm myself as I feel that if I cant afford the proper tool I probably shouldnt be doing the job, but I do understand not everyone has the money to afford the proper tools and doesnt see things the way I do.

OP: The Kacey adapter IS the ridiculously cheap option and seems to be one of the best routes to go for those that have done it that way.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

petriej
83 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 20, 2011 20:46 |  #9

rudy_216 wrote in post #12969273 (external link)
If you made them, how much would you charge for it? And then the dealer has to make something on it.

I have access to both CNC Lathes and CNC Screw machines and wouldn't even consider taking the time to make one for myself. The price is more than reasonable.

You're talking an hour of program time and an hour of setup time at a rate of anywhere between 80 and 100 per hour. So you're looking at $160-200 just to program and setup - costs usually not charged to the client. Unless you are running a minimum of 50 pieces you are going to be paying a premium because the shop has to make their money back from the programming and setup. A larger run allows said costs to be absorbed a little easier.

I will eventually pay the 21 dollars for the part. Unless I have some strange hankering to make it out of titanium. :D

Canon 5DMK4 | Canon EOS Rebel T1i | Canon ELF SD1000 | Canon 70-200 F2.8 II | Canon EF 50mm 1:4 | Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS | Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS | 580EXII | Manfrotto 055CXPRO4 | Manfrotto 488RC4 | PW MiniTT1 | PW FlexTT5 | Black Rapid Sport

rsieminski
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 20, 2011 20:51 |  #10

ben_r_ wrote in post #12969938 (external link)
Ha ha, thats what I thought at first too! Then I realized OP IS looking to use a "painters pole" (which could mean a wooden broom stick for all I know) as a light boom pole.

Nah, I have a 2 piece, fiberglass, telescoping, heavy duty painter's pole with a solid Al end, riveted in place. It'll hold a 4.5 lb Einstein, and a 64" PLM, or 22" BD.

I wouldnt attempt any boom lighting without a high quality Avenger stand and boom arm myself as I feel that if I cant afford the proper tool I probably shouldnt be doing the job, but I do understand not everyone has the money to afford the proper tools and doesnt see things the way I do..

I have heavy duty stands, and 2 HEAVY duty boom arms, but there is no way my assistant could travel around with it, and never smoothly follow around a bride for a shot while she's walking toward me. It's not about money, as I shoot mostly with L glass, but they were worth the money. They have a value worth what I paid for them.

I do understand not everyone has the money to afford the proper tools and doesnt see things the way I do.

If you can point me in the right direction for the proper tool, I'd gladly spend a couple hundred $ on it if it were worth it.

BUT, paying $35 for umbrella adapters, $39 for an 86" PLM, ...etc (Bargains). The Kasey device, at $22 + $7.50 for S&H, I don't find to be a bargain.

--Rick

rudy_216
299 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 20, 2011 21:07 |  #11

Are you looking for a bargain or are you looking for a solution?

If you don't need it then don't buy it. There is all kinds of cheap products you can buy off ebay. And if they don't do the job then who cares, right?

rsieminski
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 20, 2011 21:27 |  #12

I am looking for a solution.

Kasey, your link does not work

--Rick

rsieminski
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 20, 2011 21:29 |  #13

This seems to be getting personal. Nothing against your adapter, I was just looking to see if there were any other solutions?

--Rick

rsieminski
THREAD ­ STARTER
733 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 20, 2011 22:44 |  #14

Kasey, why did you delete your post?

--Rick

Lotto
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 20, 2011 22:49 as a reply to  @ rsieminski's post |  #15

Remove the raisers off a light stand, you got a VAL, no adapter needed. Want something heavy duty, C-stand with turtle base would works too.

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6197/6064265364_718575e79a_b.jpg

5D, 24-105L, 70-200L IS, 85mm Art, Godox

sponsored links

4,059 views & 0 likes for this thread
Painter's Pole? (for those that do) How are you attaching a mono light to it
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.