Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Aug 2011 (Saturday) 20:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LENS Return Policy Question

feetdown
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 20, 2011 20:38 |  #1

"just learning"
www.jsphotographydesig​n.com (external link)
5D MkIII, 70-200mm f/2.8L, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, EF 24-105mm f/4, EF 300mm f/4, 600 Ex-rt, 580EXII & a bunch of other stuff.

sponsored links
S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 20, 2011 20:41 |  #2

You could just rent then. lensrentals.com

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

lyttleviet
537 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 20, 2011 20:55 |  #3

You could buy from amazon because they don't charge a restocking fee.

www.opulentphotography​.com (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 20, 2011 21:53 as a reply to  @ lyttleviet's post |  #4

I'd rent them.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Aug 20, 2011 21:56 |  #5

feetdown wrote in post #12969980 (external link)
....I was just going to order them both and then send back the one I like the least....Has anyone ever done this and had any problems with the return? Im going to order from B&H. And I am just wondering if they will frown upon me trying the lens in order to get the one I need........

lyttleviet wrote in post #12970049 (external link)
You could buy from amazon because they don't charge a restocking fee.

That is an unacceptable way to do business with ANY store. The store loses the ability to resell the returned lens as new and thus loses money. Would you do that to your mother if she owned a store? I think not.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 20, 2011 22:54 |  #6

Not exactly ethical. Rent.

Ody
105 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 20, 2011 22:57 |  #7

I agree it's unethical. Rent 'em.

5D mk III, 1D mk III, 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200L mk II, 300mm f4L IS, 85 1.8, 100 macro.

feetdown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 20, 2011 23:05 |  #8

I agree, I dont want to screw the store up, but whos to say your going to get a legitimate copy that works properly when you rent? Could be a waste of time and money....

Dont get me wrong, Im not trying to screw anyone, The only rental options I have in the area where I live is online though the mail....not really the option I would prefer..

"just learning"
5D MkIII, 70-200mm f/2.8L, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, EF 24-105mm f/4, EF 300mm f/4, 600 Ex-rt, 580EXII & a bunch of other stuff.

feetdown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 20, 2011 23:20 |  #9

SkipD wrote in post #12970324 (external link)
That is an unacceptable way to do business with ANY store. The store loses the ability to resell the returned lens as new and thus loses money. Would you do that to your mother if she owned a store? I think not.

And I dont think that they would actually lose money...The mark up on these lens is pretty high..I understand what your saying, I really do. But I have explored the other options as well

"just learning"

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Aug 21, 2011 00:10 |  #10

If you do what you are saying, then you are screwing the store, period. No discussion can change that.

feetdown wrote in post #12970646 (external link)
I agree, I dont want to screw the store up, but whos to say your going to get a legitimate copy that works properly when you rent? Could be a waste of time and money....

Dont get me wrong, Im not trying to screw anyone, The only rental options I have in the area where I live is online though the mail....not really the option I would prefer..

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 21, 2011 00:30 as a reply to  @ rklepper's post |  #11

Completely unethical way to treat a store.

Richard
Gear

jdramirez
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 21, 2011 01:39 as a reply to  @ Frugal's post |  #12

If you buy directly from Canon and then return the one you don't want, they simply will sell the return (after refurbishing it) via their refurbished store.

Then people like me can get a good deal because we are ok with not paying a premium for an additional 9 month warranty.

Having said that, if you buy 2 refurbs, then return the one you don't want, they will refurb the return and then sell it at the same price as they originally sold it to you.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 21, 2011 01:52 |  #13

I agree.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Gallery: 572 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 21, 2011 02:02 |  #14

Let me play devils advocate for a moment...

First off most camera stores, at least local ones, have 1-2 copies of ANY lens and they usually let customers play around with them, And then sell that lens as brand new in box anyways....And usually you're paying a good 10% markup on said lens..Sometimes they even put a return back out on the shelf as brand new too to be resold to another customer...Yes, Seriously, So guess what? You buy a "New" lens at a local store and its probubly been sitting there a year or two and has been played with by a few hundred people...

Its not just local retailers, theres some evidence that some online retailers, Not necessarily B&H or Adorama, but Amazon has resold returned products as "new" before, IE a guy here got a 70-200 f/4L in a 70-200 f/2.8L IS II box from Amazon, Other people have had similar times getting lenses with dust or that show they are not quite "Factory fresh".....In reality, most users wont even bat an eye about this unless the thing has very OBVIOUSLY been used heavily...

As for renting, you're paying how much out of your pocket to rent 2 lenses and etc etc etc... Not the most economical thing

Stores like B&H and Adorama have 30-day no restocking fee no hassle return policies for a reason, They want you to be satisfied even if it is YOUR mistake or if you ordered the wrong lens, The overhead and cost of dealing with returned merchandise is simply part of their operational expenses...Both are large companies and both can take a little hit...

Do you know why? Because when you go to buy another lens, you're going to remember that B&H and Adorama have a great return policy and dont give you 5 gallons of **** to return something, Meaning you're likely to do business with them again when you buy another lens...

If returns and that hurt the bottom line hard enough, then yes, they would charge a hefty restocking fee like most local stores do, The difference is B&H or Adorama are massive companies and can absorb the cost whereas your tiny local store cannot and has to charge a restocking fee because they'd go out of business otherwise

Dont feel bad about it, Order both and return the one you dislike/hate/etc, Its really not a big deal

-edit- and yes, I'm guilty of returning lenses for reasons besides "Defective" But you know what? If I did not have the option to return something, I'd never buy it in the first place

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Roger ­ Cicala
507 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 21, 2011 07:01 |  #15

feetdown wrote in post #12970684 (external link)
And I dont think that they would actually lose money...The mark up on these lens is pretty high..

This statement is amazingly incorrect. Canon and Nikon lenses have almost no markup (4 to 7 %) and are considered loss-leaders by everyone but the huge stores. Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and other brands do have some markup. Not anything like filters or bags, but enough to make a profit on. I cannot comment on Sony, Olympus, or Panasonic. I don't know that information first-hand.

I have no knowledge, either, on what stores do with returned items that are actually functioning properly. But I reach an obvious conclusion from two points: 1) you must return it with every bit of packaging, inserts, etc. and 1) refurbs are always sold without the original packaging, in a plain white box usually.

My gear is www.lensrentals.com (external link)

sponsored links

7,467 views & 0 likes for this thread
LENS Return Policy Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.