Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 08 Jun 2011 (Wednesday) 08:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding Cancellations.. advice please...

tombramwell
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 11, 2011 03:52 |  #31

Just to update anyone interested... I covered this asian wedding yesterday and it went really well.. completely mad though!

350guests, 3 videographers and 3 photographers.. was by far the craziest thing I have ever covered, it was loud, fast moving, exciting and colourful.

5Dmk2 x 2|50mm L f1.2|24-70mmL f2.8|17-40mmL f4|Speedlite430EX II|Speedlite420EX|ST-E2|a whole load of older lenses including zooms for my old crop bodies.
www.tombramwell.co.uk (external link) | blog (external link)

sponsored links
tombramwell
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 20, 2011 16:28 |  #32

Would you believe it.. Long story but this client appears to be refusing to pay their outstanding balance.

Lessons learnt -
1) Never do a wedding without taking full payment before the wedding day.
2) listen to your instincs, if you feel that a client may be a differecult one, a bridezilla.. A non payer.. etc.. Do not take the job - it's just not worth it.

5Dmk2 x 2|50mm L f1.2|24-70mmL f2.8|17-40mmL f4|Speedlite430EX II|Speedlite420EX|ST-E2|a whole load of older lenses including zooms for my old crop bodies.

Gel
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 20, 2011 16:41 |  #33

ALWAYS take payment in full, two months before the wedding date.

I've had a few weddings now when they ignore the contract terms and pay me a week before.

3 photographers, 3 video guys....why would they need your photos?

Did they give a reason not to pay, what were the figures involved?

Chris Giles Photography

tombramwell
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 20, 2011 17:02 |  #34

It was an asian wedding, I was employed by the bride. My contract specifies that I should be the only pro photographer and have the right to walk out of the wedding if another photographer turns up. 2 photographers from the grooms family turned up at the wedding, I should have left at that point but stupidly I didn't.

I did the wedding at a reduced fee (don't ask) and asked for 50% before the wedding and 50% after. I was paid the initial 50% and the bride constantly commented on the sample photos I uploaded onto my blog throughout my editing process saying how much she loved the photos. However I sent the final images on a DVD several weeks back and when I contacted her today politely chasing up the final payment she complained. She is unhappy that I did not supply enough family shots although no shot list was supplied and no one was designated to show me what to shoot.

Like I say, I think it's perhaps time to change my contract and request the full 100% of the fee before the wedding day, iv only lost a few hundred pounds but iv learnt a very valuable lesson!

Gel
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 21, 2011 09:29 |  #35

Ok, I have the same terms in my contract re: other togs but asian weddings are different. You have two familes both have their own togs and video. It's how it's done and you need to allow for that.

Never hand over any images until you receive payment. I always insist on receiving payment before the day and have never had any questions about this from the bride and groom as it's standard practice.

People will chance their arm. Many a time couples will neglect to pay their service providers on time. Generally an email saying that because payment is late their wedding coverage is at risk from other enquiries jolts them into payment whereas other emails with that info missing may take a week to get answered.

Asian weddings are ones to be wary of, they have their own rules generally.

Chris Giles Photography

S.Horton
I'm having size issues, does this get worse with age?
18,042 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 21, 2011 11:59 |  #36

Bummer.

Sorry all of this happened to you.

If you go back and add up all of the hours you spent, travel, meetings, calls, the event, post-processing, what did you make per hour?

Under $10?

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

spider87
224 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 21, 2011 22:41 |  #37

Tom, I would have never handed over the finished pictures without payment. Though, it does sound like you cut this girl a lot of slack so I assume you know her personally as well. Either way though, I'd have never handed the pictures over without payment. That's the only leverage you've got (in their minds). If you would want to pursue lawsuits it'd probably cost your more than it's worth as well. :-/ Good luck

My gallery (external link)
Gear: Canon Rebel T5i & Canon Rebel XT|Canon 18-55mm IS STM Kit lens f3.5-5.6|Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6|Canon 50mm f1.8 (Finally!)

sponsored links

4,957 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding Cancellations.. advice please...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.