Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Aug 2011 (Saturday) 01:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

question on polarizers and filters

ROGERWILCO357
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 20, 2011 01:25 |  #1

are there any links to these filters I noticed there are no stickies on them .
I know the polarizers help with the glares . and the filters help with u.v light? and both help to protect the glass..I also know that alot of people love them and alot don't and really don't want to start a debate on that issue I just want the low down on both and what they offer .
So I can decide if they are worth using on my L-glass..thanks for any help
Roger

EOS 5DMKII gripped;EOS 7D;30D:Rebel Xti Digital;24-105L,70-200 f/2.8L.II,85mm f1.2L.II,16-35Lmk2, SP AF90mmF/2.8DI,28-135mm x 2,580EX II-430ExII with Pocket Wizards II,(Adobe CS5)

sponsored links
xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 20, 2011 01:32 |  #2

Polarisers cut glare, giving more saturated colours including bluer skies. It's one of the few effects that can't be easily simulated in post-processing. You need a CIRCULAR polariser (C-PL), not a LINEAR polariser (POL).

Another class of filters that can be useful are the NEUTRAL DENSITY filters. These can allow the use of slower shutter speeds in bright light. There are also split and graduated ND filters, useful, for example, for darkening a sky, but not the foreground landscape.

UV filters do filter UV, but that is irrelevant as UV does not reach the sensor anyway. See the big filter FAQ for the pros and cons of 'protection' filter use.

JohnB57
Goldmember
1,507 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 20, 2011 04:22 |  #3

Probably also worth mentioning that UV filters provide no real optical benefit for digital users, just protection for the front element. Also, a polarizer has a neutral density effect, so you wouldn't want to use it full time as a protection filter. CPLs are also quite expensive.

Universal ­ Riches
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 20, 2011 05:22 as a reply to  @ JohnB57's post |  #4

I always used a UV filter purely as lens protection.

With post-shooting software now, other filters maybe just get in the way. Having said that, I like using a polariser because I can see the effect as I'm taking the shot, whether to reduce glare/reflection or just to intensify colours - it will cut down your f-stop/speed, but often not a problem if shooting in bright sunlight. It isn't the easiest filter to use if you're taking quick shots and changing angles, as it needs rotational adjustment to get the best position, not a problem if you're taking your time.

Patrick

Universal Riches (external link) where I look at how we can align with the bountiful universe :)

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 20, 2011 06:56 |  #5

ROGERWILCO357 wrote in post #12966841 (external link)
are there any links to these filters I noticed there are no stickies on them .
I know the polarizers help with the glares . and the filters help with u.v light? and both help to protect the glass..I also know that alot of people love them and alot don't and really don't want to start a debate on that issue I just want the low down on both and what they offer .
So I can decide if they are worth using on my L-glass..thanks for any help
Roger

Try this link... http://www.bythom.com/​filters.htm (external link)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

ROGERWILCO357
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,551 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 20, 2011 18:42 |  #6

thanks for the input and link have been reading up and it seems basically the polarizor is sunglasses for the lens and not used indoors only outside on sunny days not even on overcast grey days so limited use only ...
not a good choice if you looking for lens protection since the slim models will not keep the lens cap on. and the thick ones won't work well on landscape lens..

EOS 5DMKII gripped;EOS 7D;30D:Rebel Xti Digital;24-105L,70-200 f/2.8L.II,85mm f1.2L.II,16-35Lmk2, SP AF90mmF/2.8DI,28-135mm x 2,580EX II-430ExII with Pocket Wizards II,(Adobe CS5)

Inqe
MacGyver of wedding photography assistants
226 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 21, 2011 13:40 |  #7

I'm so glad you posted this question...I have the same concerns. I know what CPL's and ND's can do...I'm just not sure if I need/want to drop the necessary dough to put one on each lens. So, that's another question...how do you decide which lens to put which filter on? I have dropped lots of money on gear and it seems like a "duh" NOT to put these filters on each if for sheer protection alone. But, it would be another several hundred dollars to buy one for each lens. So...not sure what to do. Anyway, this info has been really helpful!
Thanks!

:eek: I can't believe after ALL these years, I finally have a 5D MKII!!! It's glorious! It's MY PRECIOUS!!:cool:
40D-Gripped, Canon 50 1.4, 85 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20 3.5-5.6, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS, Sigma 24-70 2.8, Lensbaby 2.0, 580EX, 550EX, PW's.
www.FortuitousPhotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links

730 views & 0 likes for this thread
question on polarizers and filters
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.