Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Aug 2011 (Saturday) 20:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LENS Return Policy Question

feetdown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 22, 2011 08:52 as a reply to  @ post 12975667 |  #31

Not embarrrased, just tired of people whinning....There aint a person on here that hasnt at 1 time or another returned something because it was not up to their expectations ( camera gear or something else). Thats not unethetical thats just common sense ...And like alot of you say you havent.... Im telling you now...your a liar....

I dont care if its a $10 memery card, a $2000 lens or a fu**kin whopper with cheese that someone forgot to put the tomato on it....If its not what your paying for, IT GOES BACK WHERE IT CAME FROM.....All busineses mark up for this...Its what retailers do, my wife has been in upper management retail for 17 years...They know how to plan for theses losses and trust me they cover there own a$$es, there not losing money........NO ONE IS

"just learning"
www.jsphotographydesig​n.com (external link)
5D MkIII, 70-200mm f/2.8L, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, EF 24-105mm f/4, EF 300mm f/4, 600 Ex-rt, 580EXII & a bunch of other stuff.

sponsored links
JonK
Goldmember
2,161 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 22, 2011 10:11 |  #32

feetdown wrote in post #12977420 (external link)
Not embarrrased, just tired of people whinning....There aint a person on here that hasnt at 1 time or another returned something because it was not up to their expectations ( camera gear or something else). Thats not unethetical thats just common sense ...And like alot of you say you havent.... Im telling you now...your a liar....

Yes there is. I research as much as I can and have yet to make a purchase that went back. I am right now typing on a laptop that was purchased in a pinch (had to get one for vacation last year and needed it same day). It lacks a couple things I'd like, but its 98% there. I kept it, added memory, and still use it happily.

7NE | 7D | 5DII | 16-35/2.8L II | 24/1.4L II | TS-E 24/3.5L II | 50/1.4 | 85/1.2L II | 100/2.8L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 400/5.6L | PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II
check my blog:
www.jonkensy.com (external link)

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Aug 22, 2011 10:27 |  #33

feetdown wrote in post #12977420 (external link)

There's a difference between returning an item that doesn't meet expectations (which, yes, we've all done) and deliberately purchasing two items to try them out, knowing that one is going back. One is being a proactive consumer, the other is taking advantage of the system.

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 22, 2011 10:55 |  #34

crn3371 wrote in post #12977985 (external link)
There's a difference between returning an item that doesn't meet expectations (which, yes, we've all done) and deliberately purchasing two items to try them out, knowing that one is going back. One is being a proactive consumer, the other is taking advantage of the system.

How is it taking advantage of the system if the store offers a return policy? I'm sure if you called or emailed the store and asked they would advise you to buy both and return the one your not satisfied with. That's why its there.

Kenjis nailed it right here:

Stores like B&H and Adorama have 30-day no restocking fee no hassle return policies for a reason, They want you to be satisfied even if it is YOUR mistake or if you ordered the wrong lens, The overhead and cost of dealing with returned merchandise is simply part of their operational expenses...Both are large companies and both can take a little hit...

Allez
59 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 22, 2011 11:01 |  #35

Agreed.

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Aug 22, 2011 11:15 as a reply to  @ post 12978155 |  #36

Well, just for fun I called a few major online retailers and posed the same question:

"I am considering buying either a Canon 24-70 or a 24-105 for my 5D MKII. I dont know which one I want and I live out in the backwoods of Vermont and there is no way to see both lenses in person to see which one I want. Can I order both and simply return the one I am not satisfied with"?

I was basically met with the same answer from every store I talked to. They all advised to buy both and return the one you dont want within the return window for a full refund.

So if the store doesn't have an issue with it why should you, or anyone else?

feetdown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,055 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 22, 2011 12:59 |  #37

Kronie wrote in post #12978261 (external link)
Well, just for fun I called a few major online retailers and posed the same question:

"I am considering buying either a Canon 24-70 or a 24-105 for my 5D MKII. I dont know which one I want and I live out in the backwoods of Vermont and there is no way to see both lenses in person to see which one I want. Can I order both and simply return the one I am not satisfied with"?

I was basically met with the same answer from every store I talked to. They all advised to buy both and return the one you dont want within the return window for a full refund.

THANK-You.....

"just learning"
www.jsphotographydesig​n.com (external link)
5D MkIII, 70-200mm f/2.8L, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, EF 24-105mm f/4, EF 300mm f/4, 600 Ex-rt, 580EXII & a bunch of other stuff.

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 22, 2011 13:39 |  #38

Kronie wrote in post #12978261 (external link)

TAAA DAAA! (external link)

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

Willie
959 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Aug 22, 2011 13:54 |  #39

JonK wrote in post #12972079 (external link)
Only once did I return a lens. It was when I bought a 70-200 2.8L IS. The reason for returning (exchange, actually) was because the 70-200 2.8L II went from "Not Available" to "In Stock" at B&H. What you're proposing is lame. At that rate, I think I might buy a Lamborghini and a VW Jetta and return whichever one doesn't work out for me.

I'm not sure how your lens return is any different. You returned a perfectly good lens within the return period to take advantage of an opportunity. The store now has a returned lens that cannot be sold as new (if that's how it really works).

The fact that you didn't set out to do this initially is irrelevant.

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 22, 2011 14:20 |  #40

Willie wrote in post #12979198 (external link)
The store now has a returned lens that cannot be sold as new (if that's how it really works).

Can somebody confirm this for us? Maybe somebody who works at B&H, Adorama, or Amazon, etc?

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

tomj
657 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 22, 2011 14:49 as a reply to  @ feetdown's post |  #41

My wife will occasionally buy me an article of clothing, and I try it on and it doesn't fit, or I just don't like it, so she returns it. I'm pretty sure it goes back on the rack for resale, just like the clothes that get tried on in the store. I'll bet the same thing happens with lenses.

Flickr (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,292 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 22, 2011 15:53 |  #42

This.

It's the intent.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

dgsphoto
421 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 22, 2011 16:21 |  #43

I have had Amazon ship me at least what appeared to be previously sold and returned lenses if not used ones.

Missing warranty cards, disorganized packaging that does not appear from the factory, signs of box been previously opened, etc. Not that I mind being shipped a lens that was previously opened and looked at as long as everything is intact and works factory fresh. But missing items and/or misses expectations/not what I wanted, it goes back. Also, Amazon has been spot on with arranging a replacement which is why they are the first place I shop. They do differentiate between defective/error based returns wherein they pay the shipping both ways vs did-not-like/want kinda returns where the customer pays return shipping and at times the original shipping as well.

10% markups are from other galaxy??? Yeah right! A lens that sold for $2198 sells in the range of $2498 to $2798 after the unfortunate disaster in Japan without a formal price change from the manufacturer. Same for camera bodies! And then when the instant rebates come through, the prices go up by 70% to 100% of the rebate amount! So yes, the markups are definitely there...doesn't matter how it's split, that's a different story and is irrelevant from a consumer standpoint.

Lastly, one of the foundational aspects of e-sales is to provision for (trial) purchases allowing for a return if the item is not liked by the customer. If I can't see it before I buy it, then I would want an option to return it.

I don't find any ethical issues with what OP posted as long as the interest/intent is genuine. That said, I would definitely call it unethical if one was to do this only to save money on a lens rental.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,550 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 22, 2011 16:25 |  #44

ewheeler20 wrote in post #12979341 (external link)
Can somebody confirm this for us? Maybe somebody who works at B&H, Adorama, or Amazon, etc?

Yes, of course we will take back anything that is returned in accordance with the terms and conditions on our website.

We will then return the unit to the manufacturer, but will only receive a partial credit - and the subsequent loss will have to be covered.

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 22, 2011 17:05 |  #45

HelenOster wrote in post #12980065 (external link)
Yes, of course we will take back anything that is returned in accordance with the terms and conditions on our website.

We will then return the unit to the manufacturer, but will only receive a partial credit - and the subsequent loss will have to be covered.

Sooo - if you want fine companies like Adorama to continue to be in business don't take needless advantage of their generous return policy.

Richard
Gear

sponsored links

7,468 views & 0 likes for this thread
LENS Return Policy Question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.