Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 27 Jul 2011 (Wednesday) 15:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Buy Geek Squad plans?

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 27, 2011 22:50 |  #16

Calicajun wrote in post #12835278 (external link)
Best Buy has always stood by the service plans for me. I'm running about 50/50 on having to use the plans, mostly my son's X-Box 2 out of three, 1 TV out of 7 , 1 IPod out of 8 and 1 camera out of 7. Okay, maybe not really 50/50 but still nice to have when we needed the plan.

Plus the guy that bought my 40D still has 6 months on the service plan.:) Makes selling things easier.

I'm a bigger fan of Squaretrade and Mack. They are way cheaper, depending on whether you use a code, and on the type of product (when it comes to lenses and cameras, Mack is CHEAP).

Squaretrade is fully transferable. Mack is transferable for $20 per policy.

My Gearlist

sponsored links
Calicajun
Goldmember
2,983 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 28, 2011 00:09 |  #17

MOkoFOko wrote in post #12835314 (external link)
I'm a bigger fan of Squaretrade and Mack. They are way cheaper, depending on whether you use a code, and on the type of product (when it comes to lenses and cameras, Mack is CHEAP).

Squaretrade is fully transferable. Mack is transferable for $20 per policy.

Good to hear that Mack is trusted, as I have a Mack service plan on my 7D I bought three months ago.

Remember, Stressed spelled backward is Desserts.:)
Suggestions welcome.
5DIII, EF 50 1.4, EF 40 f2.8, EF 24-105L IS , EF 70-200 f4L IS, 580EX ll

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 28, 2011 20:50 |  #18

I figure that over the course of my life, if I were to buy every extended warranty offered, I would probably spend more money than if I had declined them all and just paid to have the occasional broken item fixed.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 29, 2011 01:21 |  #19

Check BB forums Black Tie and Geek Squad are a total scam and they will find an excuse to break the contract.

jdotrillah
127 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jul 30, 2011 16:59 |  #20

isoMorphic wrote in post #12841493 (external link)
Check BB forums Black Tie and Geek Squad are a total scam and they will find an excuse to break the contract.

this is a complete lie. believe me, i know.

You're dealing with stupid INDIVIDUALS in most cases.. BBY as a company stands by their warranties.

There is absolutely nothing better than a BBY protection plan with accidental coverage on camera's, laptops etc.. It's even better with my discount lol.:cool:

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 30, 2011 22:43 |  #21

No way, but then I won't buy anything from BB.

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 30, 2011 22:45 |  #22

jdotrillah wrote in post #12849388 (external link)

You're dealing with stupid INDIVIDUALS in most cases.. BBY as a company stands by their warranties.

There is absolutely nothing better than a BBY protection plan with accidental coverage on camera's, laptops etc.. It's even better with my discount lol.:cool:

Why should we believe you, and why would you know? <--serious question

My Gearlist

smacatl
Goldmember
1,561 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 31, 2011 10:54 |  #23

jdotrillah wrote in post #12849388 (external link)

Guessing you are a BB employee - if so, great for you. Hopefully they treat your claims better than they treated mine. (I fell for a BB warranty once on an iPod 5-7 years ago. The replacement process didn't work out like they claimed it would - but that seems to be a common complaint)

Not sure if you think the "Stupid individuals" are the customers who buy the warranties, or the store employees who refuse to honor the claims. Care to expand on your statement?

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 01, 2011 03:47 |  #24

Sadly BB has a long documented history of screwing customers.

In 2009, a class action lawsuit was launched against Best Buy. The lawsuit addressed the same issue. Several consumers were outraged by the sales tactics allegedly used by Best Buy employees to sell their Performance Service Plans. They were supposedly misled into thinking that the plan covered all types of damages and that they would receive a new product if they were to bring the product back to the store within the service period. According to the lawsuit, sales associates allegedly failed to disclose the details of the service plan. The results of the lawsuit are still pending, and it is unknown whether the misunderstanding was a result of misinformation given out by sales associates, or by a lack of understanding on the part of the customer.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g …_Buy#Warranty_c​ontroversy (external link)

http://www.ripoffrepor​t.com …istian-reich-gm-6dd36.htm (external link)

http://www.consumeraff​airs.com/retail/bestbu​y_exwars.html (external link)

They used to stand behind the old protection plans to some degree before this Black Tie garbage. Ever since the emphasis on branding Geek Squad and becoming a "Results Only Work Environment" it seems forum complaints are the only way you stand a chance of getting a claim honored. That or you have to know someone on the inside such as a store manager.

Everything the managers do at BB counts for/against their store which is why no one wants to honor claims. If they honor to many claims or fail to meet company quotas they might end up in the unemployment line. So the idea is to sell overpriced warez and then stuff you with an overpriced protection plan that offers little to no protection at all.

I can't wait to see how much longer the stores remain open when the only customers left are the employees. :rolleyes:

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,349 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 01, 2011 08:55 |  #25

I've never used Geek Squad personally, but my overall general impression of Best Buy from having shopped there is that customer service is not high on their priority list. Hence, I never felt the need to even give Geek Squad a shot.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

dmbpettit
370 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Aug 22, 2011 20:31 |  #26

smacatl wrote in post #12852233 (external link)
Guessing you are a BB employee - if so, great for you. Hopefully they treat your claims better than they treated mine. (I fell for a BB warranty once on an iPod 5-7 years ago. The replacement process didn't work out like they claimed it would - but that seems to be a common complaint)

Not sure if you think the "Stupid individuals" are the customers who buy the warranties, or the store employees who refuse to honor the claims. Care to expand on your statement?

I have been working for Best Buy since 2001 and understand what he ment by 'stupid individuals'. Unfortunately, as with all things in life, people can mess up a good idea. The plans that are offered are great but yes, sometimes you could get an bad employee. It happens unfortunately but that is no different than any other retailer.

With regards to bad experiences having things serviced, our store sends out over a hundred products out for repair every week. I probably deal with a couple issues a month. Not a bad rate.

Body: 5DMKIII
Lenses: 17-40L, 24-70L, EF 50 1.4, EF 85 1.8, EF 70-200 F4 L, Lens Baby
Flash: 2x Canon 430EX
www.brianpettitphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 23, 2011 02:44 |  #27

dmbpettit wrote in post #12981398 (external link)
sometimes you could get an bad employee. It happens unfortunately but that is no different than any other retailer.

How many other retailers only give secret discounts only to customers that know about them?

Best Buy customers are the stupids who don't realize how far they are getting bent over at the door. I bet if most people quit paying for black tie plans, ridiculous PC repair costs and $80 monster cables then Best Buy would end up like Circuit City. Unfortunately most people tend to think overpaying to gain rewards points so they can obtain more overpriced products = real savings.

drumnut01
415 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 23, 2011 12:33 |  #28

It seems like every time I've been to Best Buy to buy something, the in store price is more than the online price. They have always matched the prices for me, but last time I was told by the employee that they wouldn't match the price and I had to go find a manager to get it done. I wonder how many people just pay the in store sticker price and never even look it up to see if they could get it cheaper. It really is ridiculous that I have to shop with my iphone in hand to make sure I am getting a good price.

Feedback

SillyGuy
929 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 23, 2011 12:50 |  #29

i got mine for my 5dmkii like 3 years ago..haven't used it yet

My Website (external link) | My Blog (external link)

vitacura
Goldmember
1,514 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 23, 2011 13:01 |  #30

I have purchased two 5D Mark II cameras from best buy. Both times cheaper than it would have been online through a reputable dealer. Of course once was with Bing Cash Back, then they also offer the 12% off coupon at times. So good deals can be had there from time to time.
As for the Black tie warranties, save yourself the money and get real insurance such as a State Farm valuable articles policy.

Gear & Feedback

sponsored links

3,666 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Buy Geek Squad plans?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.