Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 15:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fixing fringing on the 85mm 1.8

paulkaye
559 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 23, 2011 15:31 |  #1

Hi - I have an 85mm 1.8 which is a great lens in many ways - except for one thing; purple/green fringing on out-of-focus highlights (LoCA/bokeh fringing). I use both Bibble and Photoshop/ACR and have yet to find a satisfactory way of getting rid of it. Does anyone have any tips/tricks?

Paul

sponsored links
Hardcore
Goldmember
2,668 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 23, 2011 15:35 |  #2

Maybe the CA isn't as bad on the Sigma 85mm but I usually go manual corrections, then go down to CA and put "defringe" to All edges or highlight edges and play with the sliders to reduce the CA. Works well enough for me. For sure there would be better ways in photoshop but I haven't bothered with it.

Name: Corey
GEAR
Website (external link)

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 23, 2011 15:53 |  #3

paulkaye wrote in post #12986330 (external link)
Hi - I have an 85mm 1.8 which is a great lens in many ways - except for one thing; purple/green fringing on out-of-focus highlights (LoCA/bokeh fringing). I use both Bibble and Photoshop/ACR and have yet to find a satisfactory way of getting rid of it. Does anyone have any tips/tricks?

LoCA's can be very difficult to handle. The defringe setting might help a little, but the sliders are unlikely to be much use. If the issue is really bothersome you can try desaturation. Either globally desaturate if your image allows for it, or you can get down and dirty with layers/masking in Photoshop.

Hardcore wrote in post #12986363 (external link)
Maybe the CA isn't as bad on the Sigma 85mm but I usually go manual corrections, then go down to CA and put "defringe" to All edges or highlight edges and play with the sliders to reduce the CA. Works well enough for me. For sure there would be better ways in photoshop but I haven't bothered with it.

The Sigma is pretty bad in the LoCA department (like most ultra-fast lenses). If you shoot wide open or close to it with high contrast items in the foreground and/or background the problem should be pretty obvious. You will see magenta fringing in front of the focal plane and green fringing behind it. The CA sliders won't do much since they are designed to handle lateral CA's.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 23, 2011 15:53 |  #4

Bokeh fringing. Not sure if there is an effective way to get rid of it.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
15,358 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 23, 2011 15:55 |  #5

Local desaturation is what I do when needed.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

bob_r
Goldmember
2,473 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 23, 2011 16:40 |  #6

Here's a link to a method that should work for you:
http://www.great-landscape-photography.com/remove​-purple-fringing.html (external link)

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

hieu1004
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 23, 2011 17:22 |  #7

windpig wrote in post #12986482 (external link)

This is pretty much what I do as well.

-Hieu
Gear | Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 23, 2011 17:46 |  #8

bob_r wrote in post #12986718 (external link)
Here's a link to a method that should work for you:
http://www.great-landscape-photography.com/remove​-purple-fringing.html (external link)

That explains purple fringing but not bokeh fringing.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

paulkaye
THREAD ­ STARTER
559 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 24, 2011 16:27 |  #9

bohdank wrote in post #12986467 (external link)
Bokeh fringing. Not sure if there is an effective way to get rid of it.

windpig wrote in post #12986482 (external link)

You've confirmed what I'm thinking - there's no easy way. Local desaturation works but it's fiddly, especially if there are a lot of highlights. I guess I just need to live with it.

Anyhow - thanks to all who responded. BTW - looked at most of your flickr/Smugmug links and I must say, I'm mighty impressed by the work on display. This forum must represent some of the most talented photographers on the planet.

Paul

windpig
Chopped liver
15,358 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 24, 2011 17:04 |  #10

paulkaye wrote in post #12992953 (external link)
You've confirmed what I'm thinking - there's no easy way. Local desaturation works but it's fiddly, especially if there are a lot of highlights. I guess I just need to live with it.

Anyhow - thanks to all who responded. BTW - looked at most of your flickr/Smugmug links and I must say, I'm mighty impressed by the work on display. This forum must represent some of the most talented photographers on the planet.

Well, if it's any consolation, the 85LII is not immune.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links

1,960 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fixing fringing on the 85mm 1.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.