Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 23:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will the 7D cause Canon to go bankrupt?

r34p3rex
192 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 23, 2011 18:04 |  #181

mangrovedutch wrote in post #12986916 (external link)
All this hype about the 5D mkIII !!!! Is it even happening, I've looked everywhere and can't find anything about Canon's next release. It sounds to me like a lot are waiting for it, what is essentially a non existent product. You might be waiting quite some time, and if it comes - WILL YOU BE HAPPY ??? I'm sure that it will be picked to pieces, just like the 7D.

Regards, Dutch

It's definitely happening! When? That's another question to be asked :p I'd wager that it will be out within a year.. the 5D2 is overdue for an upgrade..

Gripped 5DII | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L | Sigma 180mm f/3.5 Macro | 430EX II
AB800 | YN-602RF | Vagabond Mini
My Feedback (on other sites): Overclock.net (external link) | Pbnation (external link)

sponsored links
KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Gallery: 572 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 23, 2011 18:23 |  #182

I love my 7D

a little late to the game but i think the source of the majority of complaints are:

- People expecting 18mp APS-C to be equal to Full Frame in terms of detail and noise

- People not understanding 18mp APS-C will stress your technique and lenses to their breaking point

- People not taking 5 minutes to read the things experienced 7D shooters have figured out, IE That the files do need a bit of sharpening straight out of camera to get their maximum potential

- People not reading up on the focus system heavily (Heck I was guilty of this at one point... I will be honest and say I think the 7D's successor needs a smaller AF point option because the current ones are a tiny bit too large sometimes)

- People being generally stupid and underexposing an ISO100 image by 3 stops then pushing it to a proper exposure and complaining about noise

My 7D has performed excellently for me since i bought it, its in every way a superior camera to the 30D I had previously and I think its the second best camera I ever owned (The EOS-3 has yet to be dethroned ;))

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 23, 2011 18:41 |  #183

KenjiS wrote in post #12987246 (external link)
I love my 7D

a little late to the game but i think the source of the majority of complaints are:

- People expecting 18mp APS-C to be equal to Full Frame in terms of detail and noise

Yep. Although, it's awfully close in terms of retained detail, and roughly a stop behind in terms of noise (that actually means that the 7D is slightly ahead when the depths of field and shutter speeds are equalized).

- People not understanding 18mp APS-C will stress your technique and lenses to their breaking point

Can't agree more. And can't stress the truth of this enough, either. High resolution sensors are very demanding of good technique, APS-C or not. They're also very demanding of glass (that's more limited to APS-C since APS-C has smaller photosites).

- People not taking 5 minutes to read the things experienced 7D shooters have figured out, IE That the files do need a bit of sharpening straight out of camera to get their maximum potential

- People not reading up on the focus system heavily (Heck I was guilty of this at one point... I will be honest and say I think the 7D's successor needs a smaller AF point option because the current ones are a tiny bit too large sometimes)

The 7D actually has a mode to deal with that: the spot AF mode. With that, you'll see a tiny rectangle within your standard AF point rectangle, and it will reduce the area covered by the AF point to just slightly larger than the area covered by the standard AF point rectangle.

So you should probably read up on the focus system. :lol:

- People being generally stupid and underexposing an ISO100 image by 3 stops then pushing it to a proper exposure and complaining about noise

Ain't that the truth...

My 7D has performed excellently for me since i bought it, its in every way a superior camera to the 30D I had previously and I think its the second best camera I ever owned (The EOS-3 has yet to be dethroned ;))

I find the 7D to be the best camera I've ever owned, period. It even dethrones my EOS 3, but probably wouldn't dethrone a modern digital version of the EOS 3, if Canon would ever get off their butts and produces it... (one hopes the 5D3 will be that, but I'm not holding my breath).

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Aug 23, 2011 22:38 as a reply to  @ kcbrown's post |  #184

How can anything dethrone a camera with electronic eye focusing system?! It is simply awesome. Why this technology is not in dSLR befuddles me.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 23, 2011 22:44 |  #185

delhi wrote in post #12988646 (external link)
How can anything dethrone a camera with electronic eye focusing system?! It is simply awesome. Why this technology is not in dSLR befuddles me.

I know! They should add a touchscreen next.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

Lesmore
874 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 23, 2011 23:51 |  #186

I have a buddy who has a 7D. IMO, it's a phenomenal camera.

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 23, 2011 23:56 |  #187

kcbrown wrote in post #12987345 (external link)
The 7D actually has a mode to deal with that: the spot AF mode. With that, you'll see a tiny rectangle within your standard AF point rectangle, and it will reduce the area covered by the AF point to just slightly larger than the area covered by the standard AF point rectangle.

So you should probably read up on the focus system. :lol:

Oh I know about it, Spot AF is STILL not precise enough sometimes circumstances and still samples a far larger area than it should IMHO, the area sampled by the individual points on the 45-point array is much smaller than even spot AF, And I think the 9 point samples a slightly smaller area too, Which is why some people feel the lower end bodies have "better" AF when it really comes down to what you're trying to do

But this is a -nitpick- ;)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 23, 2011 23:58 |  #188

delhi wrote in post #12988646 (external link)

You didnt even need it, Just set the EOS 3 to "all area" and point it at what you want to photograph, as odd as it is, the EOS 3 always pretty much read my mind and just focused 100% correct 100% of the time

Going from that kind of AF to the 30D was...Lets say a very big issue for me!

Lone ­ Rider
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 24, 2011 00:27 |  #189

5x5 photography wrote in post #12974559 (external link)
I reckon you have no idea about what is going on in this thread and instead of reading a few posts to educate yourself you made assumptions.

1. If I was a troll would I of waited this long to begin trolling?
2. I am making a living with a 7D and have a great understanding of how it works.
3. Again, you obviously did not read the thread or attempt to understand.

I think this is a problem with a lot of internet forums, folks read just a few lines of the initial post, form an opinion under assumptions, and post their thoughts. So why don't you go back and read the thread, contribute, or not.

You're kidding me right? Why don't you go back, re-read your title and think about what it says. The way its written you're bagging the camera and misleading people.

Trevor

hannibal31
138 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 24, 2011 00:48 |  #190

So why would the 7D cause Canon to go bankrupt?

mangrovedutch
522 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 24, 2011 00:58 |  #191

G'day, I think the super-duper focusing is going to make me give up shooting everything in Manual. I've promised myself that I will not use it :rolleyes:, stay with my style :confused:, I will not be swayed :mad:. As a favour to me guys, can we please not mention the super-duper focusing system again...............pl​ease

:lol:

Regards, Dutch

aduljr
64 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 24, 2011 01:08 |  #192

I <3 my 7D and will continue to use it until it stops working.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 24, 2011 01:47 |  #193

Lone Rider wrote in post #12989061 (external link)
You're kidding me right? Why don't you go back, re-read your title and think about what it says. The way its written you're bagging the camera and misleading people.

The only people being misled are those who didn't bother to read beyond the title and those who don't recognise sarcasm.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Persian-Rice
Goldmember
1,531 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Aug 24, 2011 01:50 |  #194

It's always the poor craftsman that blames his tools......

Nomofica
509 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 24, 2011 02:34 |  #195

mangrovedutch wrote in post #12989144 (external link)
G'day, I think the super-duper focusing is going to make me give up shooting everything in Manual. I've promised myself that I will not use it :rolleyes:, stay with my style :confused:, I will not be swayed :mad:. As a favour to me guys, can we please not mention the super-duper focusing system again...............pl​ease

:lol:

Regards, Dutch

That super-duper focusing system sure is awesome, isn't it? :p

Portfolio (external link) | 5∞ (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

31,657 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will the 7D cause Canon to go bankrupt?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.