Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 19 Aug 2011 (Friday) 21:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HDR First-timer

germ79
52 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 19, 2011 21:48 |  #1

I originally posted this in the HDR forum, but thought maybe I'd get some helpful feedback here.

Please ignore the Photomatix watermark and the sensor dust!

Took some photos while visiting Santa Barbara a month or two ago. I'm still learning this process, but thought they were kind of interesting.

What could I do better next time?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 503

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

<><

sponsored links
Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 19, 2011 22:01 |  #2

The tree looks mildly interesting.

David

David

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 20, 2011 07:06 as a reply to  @ Woodworker's post |  #3

Not very compelling images, but the cars are cool, though. Also need to clean your sensor (and work on a better logo :D ).

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Nomofica
509 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 20, 2011 17:24 |  #4

As mentioned above, the images are not very compelling. The subject matter is not all that interesting, and the composition is poor (work on this). To be perfectly honest, I'm quite (and pleasantly) surprised that these are not rainbow vomit HDR images.

@Argyle, that "watermark" is not OP's - it's the mandatory watermark as applied by the demo/trial version of Photomatix.

Portfolio (external link) | 5∞ (external link) | Flickr (external link)

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 20, 2011 18:28 |  #5

Nomofica wrote in post #12969223 (external link)
As mentioned above, the images are not very compelling. The subject matter is not all that interesting, and the composition is poor (work on this). To be perfectly honest, I'm quite (and pleasantly) surprised that these are not rainbow vomit HDR images.

@Argyle, that "watermark" is not OP's - it's the mandatory watermark as applied by the demo/trial version of Photomatix.

I'm well aware of that, hence the ":D" in my post...

GEAR LIST

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
13,089 posts
Gallery: 304 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 20, 2011 18:36 |  #6

The HDR part of the photos is very good IMHO. Most people abuse HDR. The result is often "rainbow vomit" - I like that expression, Nomofica! :) :)

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
Canon R5, 5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,342 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 20, 2011 20:03 |  #7

I like HDR that is not "overcooked", "rainbow vomit", etc and these are pretty good HDR wise. As far as subject matter is concerned, they're lacking a bit. I do like the tree (not the angle you shot it so much). The old Chevy looks a bit strange... Focusing, merging files, I don't know. Looks a bit blurry to me.

Nice start to the HDR though. Try and find more worthy of subjects for HDR. I think you're on the right track with the cars.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 21, 2011 10:44 |  #8

CameraMan wrote in post #12969844 (external link)
I like HDR that is not "overcooked", "rainbow vomit", etc and these are pretty good HDR wise. As far as subject matter is concerned, they're lacking a bit. I do like the tree (not the angle you shot it so much). The old Chevy looks a bit strange... Focusing, merging files, I don't know. Looks a bit blurry to me.

Nice start to the HDR though. Try and find more worthy of subjects for HDR. I think you're on the right track with the cars.

No Chevy's in these pics. If I remember my cars from my younger days, the taxi is a Checker Marathon...large and built like a tank. I agree about the vehicles being a good subject for HDR...generally, these types of subjects lend themselves well to pushing the HDR processing a bit. These are just in need of more suitable locations...

GEAR LIST

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,342 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 21, 2011 11:03 |  #9

argyle wrote in post #12972229 (external link)
No Chevy's in these pics.

What kind of car is that 3rd one? It looks like it has the same arrow design as the old 57 Chevy. I know Cadillac also has that arrow design. Maybe it's a Cadillac. Definitely a GM. It's hard to read what it is on the side.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 21, 2011 13:34 |  #10

CameraMan wrote in post #12972316 (external link)
What kind of car is that 3rd one? It looks like it has the same arrow design as the old 57 Chevy. I know Cadillac also has that arrow design. Maybe it's a Cadillac. Definitely a GM. It's hard to read what it is on the side.

Cadillac...looks like a 1959 Sedan de Ville.

GEAR LIST

jack880
Goldmember
2,852 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 21, 2011 16:46 |  #11

I agree the the HDR is nicely (subtley) done.

The first one would look better without the lamp post cut through on the left hand edge i reckon.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jackhenriques/ (external link)
1DX, 7D, 20D, G7X II, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 24-70 f/2.8 L, 16-35 f/2.8 L II, 50 f/1.8 II, 50 f/1.4, TS-E 17 f/4 L, 8-15 f/4 L, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, Sigma 8-16 f/4.5-5.6, Sigma 150 f/2.8 macro, x1.4 extender II, Kenko extension tubes, 430 EX II x 2, DJI Mavic Air

Bryan ­ Grant ­ Photography
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 23, 2011 10:18 |  #12

im not seeing what the hdr did? i think this same affect can be done with a regular PP. try pushing the stops further

"canon---- there is no substitute"
My photography Blog (external link)

Nomofica
509 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 23, 2011 14:53 |  #13

Bryan Grant Photography wrote in post #12984493 (external link)
im not seeing what the hdr did? i think this same affect can be done with a regular PP. try pushing the stops further

Good (IMO) HDR should not be readily noticeable. It should be subtle and more natural looking, as OP has done.

Portfolio (external link) | 5∞ (external link) | Flickr (external link)

germ79
THREAD ­ STARTER
52 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Aug 23, 2011 22:59 |  #14

Thank you all for the feedback.

Yes, the compositions could have been better. I didn't have a tripod with me for any of these, so I had to stabilize myself with whatever was available. This meant I wasn't really able to be where I would have liked to have been.

Other HDR's I've seen are VERY sharp and mine seem a little soft. I'm wondering if it was because I didn't use a tripod? Also, it seems it is nearly impossible to get a sharp image when trying to do this when the photo trees or plants since the breeze moves the leaves in between exposures. Is this the case? Is HDR more intended for stationary objects?

Thanks again for the constructive criticism!

<><

bboehm
706 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Aug 23, 2011 23:09 |  #15

Not too bad. Some people go way too far with the HDR effect and I think you balanced that well. You just need to really work on the composition of the image (rule of thirds, better cropping etc...)

7D, 50D, EFS 17-85mm IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 2X Extender III, Calumet Genesis 400, Speedlite 430EX, Pocket Wizards

sponsored links

1,715 views & 0 likes for this thread
HDR First-timer
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.