Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 23 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 14:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help Determining A Licensing Fee

Ian ­ Harding
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 23, 2011 14:44 |  #1

Hi all,

I'd love some assistance in regards to setting a licensing fee. As we all know, determining a licensing fee for photographs can be tricky, because rarely are any two projects the same. Ideally we look at the specs of the intended usage of the photograph in order to produce a final amount.

My goal is to determine a total cost to license a photograph in the scenario below. In other words, if a client came to you looking to use one of your photographs in the follow manner, what would you quote as an approximate licensing fee for the use of the photograph?

Project Details:

• Large format digital display. Approximately 8' wide, by 5' tall.
  • Digital display is located on a major road in a large city (Calgary, Alberta, Canada).
  • Photograph would be displayed as an advertisement for the Calgary Stampede, which is the biggest event of the year in all of Western Canada.
  • Ad will be displayed during the Calgary Stampede event, which is one of the busiest traffic times of the year on the proposed route (over 50,000 ppl daily).
  • Photograph would be cropped to fill display.
  • Photograph would display for 25 seconds at a time.
  • Multiple ads would display in a loop, resulting in the photograph appearing every 4 minutes and 20 seconds.
  • Ads will loop continuously for 24 hours per day, for a total duration of 13 days.
  • No relation to the photographer is to be included (no name, no logo, no watermark).

Those are the specs for the photograph usage. What would you charge and what are some other factors that I might need to take into account in determining a final licensing fee for this?

Again, I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks everyone. :)

Portfolio (external link) / Twitter (external link) / Flickr (external link) / Facebook (external link)
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

2DP
118 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 23, 2011 22:40 |  #2

Hello Ian,

Congratulations on having your work being recognized. I am glad that you are seeking the right amount of compensation for your image, that will help promote, what sounds like a very big event for your area. I will offer my thoughts on your request, but understand, if you are successful in negotiating market value for your image, I strongly advise your invest in the tools to determine your price range for future commercial rights requests.

That aside, I use a program called fotoQuote. It has been around for some time and has helped me and others im sure, negotiate market value for their work. I am not affiliated with fotoQuote, I just recommend the product. Here (external link)

The closest I could find for your specification was the following. Remember, it is a negotiation and the end result will be what both parties are comfortable with:

DISPLAY - ELECTRONIC LARGE
An electronic display that exceeds 2 ft sq. You are at 40 ft sq used for promotional or advertising services
Number of Displays: 1
Duration: 2 weeks
Market Base Price: US$1,100
Reasonable Range: US$880 to US$1,375 (this is 80% to 125% of base). Below 80, you are starting to under value your work, over 125 you are starting to ask too much

LICENSING
As for the licensing agreement, that will determine what your customer is wanting to do. The above proposal is based of a one time use with a specified duration not to exceed. The license doesn't have to have a specific name, just the agreed terms of use. In this particular case (if your description is accurate), you are basically granting a usage fee.

Items to include in your license agreement:

Media type - Electronic display only

Territory - Spot Billboard only (maybe specify location)

Duration - Start Date and Finish Date or/ Weeks, Months, etc

File Name

Licensed to:

Representing:

Date:

I would be cautious of not putting on ©2011 IAN HARDING, on the image for several reasons. Mainly though, this display is electronic and you could be at the mercy of theft from any number of people with access to the display functions and digital media library. The copyright notice can occupy a very small space. I would ask them to give me a good reason for the:

•No relation to the photographer is to be included (no name, no logo, no watermark).

Be sure that the image is registered with your governments Copyright Office

For more detailed information, I highly recommend ASMP - Licensing Guide (external link)

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 24, 2011 10:30 |  #3

good post 2DP, I was also going to suggest fotoquote. You just beat me too it :)

Just wanted to point out that in Canada we don't need to register with a copyright office.

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

Ian ­ Harding
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 25, 2011 15:59 as a reply to  @ 2DP's post |  #4

Thanks very much for your input. I greatly appreciate it and will definitely have a look into fotoQuote.

Portfolio (external link) / Twitter (external link) / Flickr (external link) / Facebook (external link)
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 25, 2011 19:53 |  #5

2DP wrote in post #12988654 (external link)
I would be cautious of not putting on ©2011 IAN HARDING, on the image for several reasons. Mainly though, this display is electronic and you could be at the mercy of theft from any number of people with access to the display functions and digital media library. The copyright notice can occupy a very small space. I would ask them to give me a good reason for the:

when was the last time you seen a billboard or a magazine add with Photo BY ?

the ad company is licencing the image for there use, not for you to advertise your work.

that would be like buying stock photos for use with a watermark on it -

View My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

781 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help Determining A Licensing Fee
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.