Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 17 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 14:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canvass prints - what, where and how?

dessoir
49 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 17, 2011 14:45 |  #1

Hello,

I'm interested in printing and wrapping my own canvas prints but I'm still looking for more information on this process.

In particular, I'm interested in methods of putting together the stretcher/gallery wrap.
I know Breathing Color has EasyWrappe and Hahnemuhle has their own Stretcher Bar system. Both look quick and easy but I'm curious how sturdy do the bars end up? Glue and four metal pins doesn't sound to reassuring when making 20x30 wraps.

There are also these bars:
http://www.utrechtart.​com …ID=1317&subclas​sID=131713 (external link)
They've got aluminum and metal corner braces. Those are a bit more expensive but seem quite durable.

I've been researching this for a while and am not finding any reviews in particular on this topic.

Any help regarding the above mentioned and even your personal experiences with canvas printing would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,891 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 17, 2011 16:45 |  #2

Not really an answer to your question, but after running the numbers did you really find this process to be cheaper than just having a professional company print and wrap your images?

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

dessoir
THREAD ­ STARTER
49 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 17, 2011 19:59 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #3

Yes.

haroldwilson
125 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 17, 2011 21:37 |  #4

I use the Breathing Color wrap system and it works great for me. I can print only to 17", so no experience with size wrap you are talking about. I would try it. You could try the 1.75" sample kit which is 12" x 16" just to see what it is like. They offer center brace bars for the larger size to add rigidity.

Also, you can get the same bars from IT Supplies. Their sample kit is 12" x 18" for the 1.75" size. In the 1.25" size, you can buy bars in 2 packs which you can't do from Breathing Color. I think they only go to 24" but his would allow you to cheaply try a 20" x 24" to see what you think.

http://www.itsupplies.​com …llerie-Wrap-Standard-Bars (external link)

What printer do you have? Have you tried any canvases yet. Printing on canvas is interesting to say the least. There is a learning curve, but you can do some really nice things.

dessoir
THREAD ­ STARTER
49 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 18, 2011 08:01 as a reply to  @ haroldwilson's post |  #5

Hey thanks for your input. I use an Epson 7800 and thus far I've not yet printed on canvas.

I'm planning on offering a special consisting of a portrait session with a large gallery wrap and so before rolling it out I'm doing my homework.

Which canvas have you used from Breathing Color? Do you varnish them? How water resistant are they with and/or without it?

haroldwilson
125 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 18, 2011 22:00 as a reply to  @ dessoir's post |  #6

I have pretty much settled on the Lyve canvas. The Moab Anasazi would be my second choice. The Lyve has a larger color gamut and shows detail better than the Moab. This on my R1900 and 3880. You can get a sample roll of Lyve for a reasonable price to try it.

You definitely want to coat them. I personally would not sell a canvas that wasn't coated. I use the Breathing Color Timeless. I haven't tried any other coatings, so I can't offer comparison. It was the first one I tried. I liked the results and stayed with it. I like that I can buy it from the same place I buy my canvas as well.

Without coating they are not water or scratch resistant. With coating, I will clean them with a damp paper towel.

Custom profiles made with coated targets are helpful for soft proofing. If you aren't doing your own profiles, they can be done reasonably by outside sources. If you get that far with it, let me know and I will be happy to share with you by pm where I had mine made. They were reasonable and came out nice.

carshop
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 19, 2011 06:23 |  #7

haroldwilson wrote in post #12960578 (external link)
I have pretty much settled on the Lyve canvas. The Moab Anasazi would be my second choice. The Lyve has a larger color gamut and shows detail better than the Moab. This on my R1900 and 3880. You can get a sample roll of Lyve for a reasonable price to try it.

You definitely want to coat them. I personally would not sell a canvas that wasn't coated. I use the Breathing Color Timeless. I haven't tried any other coatings, so I can't offer comparison. It was the first one I tried. I liked the results and stayed with it. I like that I can buy it from the same place I buy my canvas as well.

Without coating they are not water or scratch resistant. With coating, I will clean them with a damp paper towel.

Custom profiles made with coated targets are helpful for soft proofing. If you aren't doing your own profiles, they can be done reasonably by outside sources. If you get that far with it, let me know and I will be happy to share with you by pm where I had mine made. They were reasonable and came out nice.

Thanks
I have an Epson 3800.
I was wondering if it can print on canvas.
Would love to try it.
Thanks

ShawnSmugmug (external link)/Flickr (external link)/LikeMyFacebook (external link)
Canon 7D Gripped|Canon 20D
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS|Canon 24-105|Canon 18-135
Canon 580 EX II|Sigma 18-50 2.8
Canon 55-250|Sigma 17-35 2.8| 2 Pocket Wizard II

brlowe
149 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 19, 2011 11:01 |  #8

I have to agree with Harold, the Lyve canvas is great. I also use the Breathing color coating/sealer. it is very easy to use, I put it on with a roller and have no problems.
They have a new canvas that has a glossy finish to it with out coating it and it looks nice too. You may be able to get away without coating this but I do not know how long it will last without fading.

The breathing color easywraps are very nice but a little pricey I think. One of these days I will get out on my router table and try to make my own bars and see how it goes. For now I just keep buying them. I also like the Canvox frame they sell and have mounted a few prints on those for customer.

Ok I'm done sounding like a sales man. I have no connections to Breathing Color I just like their products.

I print my Canvas on an Epson 1900 and some times find getting some of the different canvas hard to feed. If you have a problem getting it to feed just tape a small stip of regular paper to the feed end of the canvas and it feeds everytime. Just remember to adjust your print for that strip. I do it from light room and have no problems.

Brandon

haroldwilson
125 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 19, 2011 11:44 |  #9

On my 1900 I just put a cheap piece of light weight photo paper of the same size behind the canvas, no tape or anything. It has worked for me with no head strikes. I have been using the same piece of paper for quite a while. I think I had to increase the platen gap on my 3880 to do this.

brlowe
149 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 19, 2011 12:33 |  #10

I will have to try that harold, as that sounds much easier.

haroldwilson
125 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 21, 2011 21:02 |  #11

brlowe,
What size wraps are you making on the 1900? Did you have a profile built or are you using printer driver to manage color?

Have you tried mounting any prints to gator board or anything like that? I am about to mount some to gator and frame them.

haroldwilson
125 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 24, 2011 20:16 |  #12

dessoir,
curious how you came out on the canvas.

dessoir
THREAD ­ STARTER
49 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 24, 2011 22:55 as a reply to  @ haroldwilson's post |  #13

Waiting for ink and canvas to arrive, should be here around 9/3. I'll update once I make the first print!

brlowe
149 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 24, 2011 23:43 |  #14

Harold I have a spyder but have not made a profile. I find the colors from the epson for canvas does a good job. I will be switching to IJF CIS after this set of epson inks is done so at that point i will be creating new profiles.
I'm not sure what gator board is. I have used the canvox from breathing color in 8x10 and 12x18 and they look great along with using different size wraps.

haroldwilson
125 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 24, 2011 23:48 |  #15

dessoir wrote in post #12995237 (external link)
Waiting for ink and canvas to arrive, should be here around 9/3. I'll update once I make the first print!

Are you going to make a wrap? If so, you might try printing your first image 1/8" to 1/4" longer than you need as you will likely experience shrinkage on the long dimension after coating. Once you determine how much shrinkage you get, it will remain pretty constant for images the same length. A good idea is make your first print using an image that doesn't require exact edge matching on the wrap. If I made that clear as mud, pm me and I will email you an image as an example.

sponsored links

2,572 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canvass prints - what, where and how?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.