Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 21:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon XT Color Problems

jhill7
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 24, 2011 21:51 |  #1

Hi, I am brand new to this forum. I have had my Rebel XT for about 6 years (first SLR) and never really learned anything about photography. I have taken some really good pics with it, but mainly luck and the right light. Recently, it seems like every picture I take something is off with the color. I have been taking a ton of pics because we just had our second baby, and an occasional pic is decent, but really there is something off with almost all of them.

About two years ago, i got the 430EX Flash because all the pics indoors were awful. But now, even with the flash the color seems too dark and sometimes too pink. Is there something I can adjust to compensate?

sponsored links
yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 25, 2011 00:13 |  #2

Try posting a couple of pics of your bloopers..

Jurgen
50D~EOS M50 MkII~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

monst0r
237 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 25, 2011 00:59 |  #3

I feel like it is the White Balance. Can you post some samples w/ EXIF intact preferrably?

Gear List

teraflop
174 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 25, 2011 02:00 as a reply to  @ monst0r's post |  #4

First: which white Balance do you use? AWB is fine for most situations, but indoor under tungsten light it could bring some of the told problems.

Second: if you using a speedlite under tungsten light indoor you make these problems even bigger. A speedlite has light with a color temperature of ~5,500 K aka daylight, tungsten light has ~3,000 K. If you mix it up you'll end up with very unrealistic colors. You can use Lee filters for solving this problem, but before you should...

Third: ...increase your knowledge base about photography. Then you'll find out, that using a speedlite in auto mode creates pictures that are much too dark - the dslr works in auto mode with a speedlite as the only light source. Better using it in Av, just try that at home.

Cheers
flop

jhill7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 25, 2011 21:21 |  #5

i have a couple sample pics that are messed up, and would love suggestions. but the site wont let the files be uploaded because of the dimensions. i will resize and try again. and how do i keep the exif intact? not sure what that is...

spider87
224 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 25, 2011 21:27 |  #6

Try uploading somewhere like flickr or something if you're having trouble uploading here. I agree it's probably white balance but let's see some samples!

My gallery (external link)
Gear: Canon Rebel T5i & Canon Rebel XT|Canon 18-55mm IS STM Kit lens f3.5-5.6|Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6|Canon 50mm f1.8 (Finally!)

jhill7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 25, 2011 22:16 |  #7

here are two files which both seem to be too red

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,412 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 26, 2011 02:21 |  #8

Are you bouncing the flash, and is it picking up colour from that surface.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,363 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 26, 2011 13:30 |  #9

Here are some things you can do for the color issue:
- Use "flash" white balance instead of "auto" white balance (this won't help much if there are mixed light sources, such as incandescent or fluorescent lights plus flash, or if the flash is "pushing" reflected color onto the subject, as suggested by artyman above).
- Shoot in RAW and correct white balance when processing the RAW file.
- Check your settings for "Portrait" shooting mode (although I'm not sure if you can customize any settings in that mode - check your camera manual) - make sure there's nothing that would be throwing the color off. I'd suggest that you shoot in "P" mode instead of portrait, and use exposure compensation and/or flash exposure compensation to brighten your images; you can also set custom parameters for your in-camera JPEG conversions to get more contrast, etc., in your images.
- Learn about the histogram (http://www.luminous-landscape.com …standing-histograms.shtml (external link)) and use that to check the overall brightness level of your images.

As to images being too dark, take a look here at the "How Your Camera Works" tutorials:
http://www.cambridgein​colour.com/tutorials.h​tm (external link)

You can learn a lot about using flash here:
http://neilvn.com …h-photography-techniques/ (external link)

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
٩ Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

sponsored links

1,423 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon XT Color Problems
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.