Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Affordable Wide Angle for t3i

eneyman
26 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 25, 2011 10:06 |  #1

Hi all, I am interested in getting a t3i soon and want to know if this is the only affordable t3i wide angle lens on the market: http://www.amazon.com …F8&qid=13142845​16&sr=8-19 (external link)

are there any better options? Also, I am a bit confused on the focal length of these lenses, for example the kit lens will come with an 18-55mm IS lens, so won't that have the same capability as the stand alone canon 24mm wide angle lens? I am sure I am wrong on this though since that stand alone 24mm canon lens is $366..

I would really appreciate somebody to educate me a bit on these lenses. I also plan to get the 55-250 IS for telephoto. Lastly, will that sigma or other lenses you recommend be okay for video as long as they are on a tripod.

Thanks!

sponsored links
bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 25, 2011 10:19 |  #2

eneyman wrote in post #12997201 (external link)
Hi all, I am interested in getting a t3i soon and want to know if this is the only affordable t3i wide angle lens on the market: http://www.amazon.com …F8&qid=13142845​16&sr=8-19 (external link)

are there any better options?

Why are you in a rush to get an ultrawide lens? The kit lens covers a moderately wide angle at 18mm. Why not start with that lens and see if it is wide enough for your purposes?

Anyhow, the Sigma 10-20 is a decent lens for a fairly reasonable price. There are better ultrawides like the Tokina 11-16 or the Canon 10-22, but they both cost a fair bit more.

Also, I am a bit confused on the focal length of these lenses, for example the kit lens will come with an 18-55mm IS lens, so won't that have the same capability as the stand alone canon 24mm wide angle lens? I am sure I am wrong on this though since that stand alone 24mm canon lens is $366..

Not all lenses at a given focal length are created equal. So, to answer your question about the kit lens vs. the 24mm prime, no it will not have the same capability. It will cover the 24mm focal length, yes, but it will be much slower and the image quality will differ (I'm not going to debate better/worse here). I suggest you read up on some of the basics of aperture, f-stops, shutter speed, ISO, etc. The book Understanding Exposure is a great reference.

Lastly, will that sigma or other lenses you recommend be okay for video as long as they are on a tripod.
Thanks!

Pretty much any lens is "okay" for video. Just as with stills, it all depends on what your goals are.

Silverfox1
Goldmember
3,195 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 25, 2011 10:24 as a reply to  @ bpark42's post |  #3

Do a little research and consider a nice used Tokina 11-16/f2.8 since it has been a very popular wide angle since its initial release and still hard to find new due to the earthquake i assume.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_16mm_f_2_8_AT_​X_116.html (external link)

Regards, ;)

Silverfox1 POTN Feedback / TC Extender Tests / Gear List

trailpixie
27 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 25, 2011 10:28 as a reply to  @ Silverfox1's post |  #4

consider a prime like the sigma 15mm f/2.8 fisheye. It will give you a substantial changeup from your 18-whatever kit lens with excellent quality. The wide angle zooms generally overlap with the bottom half of many of the normal zooms, so I don't see much point in a zoom in the wide range. A prime will also be lighter.

trailpixie.net (external link)
marcshaffer.net (external link)

eneyman
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 25, 2011 10:29 |  #5

thanks park, I will definitely wait to see the range I get with the kit, but I have been seeing many wide angle photos lately and love the dramatic look of them, especially for beautiful scenic shots of mountains and the outdoors.. heck even wide shots of objects like cars seem really cool as they sort of "suck" you in. I plan to make videos and just wanted different lens options so that the whole movie doesn't look like a "homemade" movie..

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 25, 2011 13:44 |  #6

There are a alot of landscape photos that look great but try to see if you can see the EXIF data and it should tell you the focal length. You will be surprise how many are around the 20mm or more.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

thestone11
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 25, 2011 14:14 |  #7

I am more than happy with my sigma 10-20mm~! Great lens for the money~!

Canon 5D MK II | Fuji X100 | Canon T2i | Canon 100mm macro f/2.8 | Canon 135L f/2 | Canon 50mm f/1.2 L | 17-40mm f/4 L | 24-70mm f/2.8 L | 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM |Canon 430EX II Flash X2 | Pocketwizard TT5 & TT1

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,586 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 25, 2011 14:17 |  #8

eneyman wrote in post #12997315 (external link)
thanks park, I will definitely wait to see the range I get with the kit, but I have been seeing many wide angle photos lately and love the dramatic look of them, especially for beautiful scenic shots of mountains and the outdoors.. heck even wide shots of objects like cars seem really cool as they sort of "suck" you in. I plan to make videos and just wanted different lens options so that the whole movie doesn't look like a "homemade" movie..

18mm is actually very wide. No it is not anywhere near 10mm, but you can still do those kinds of wide dramatic landscapes quite well at 18mm. I would recommend sticking with the 18-55 for a few month and really exploring your needs before you go jumping into expensive lenses.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 25, 2011 14:36 |  #9

trailpixie wrote in post #12997309 (external link)
consider a prime like the sigma 15mm f/2.8 fisheye. It will give you a substantial changeup from your 18-whatever kit lens with excellent quality. The wide angle zooms generally overlap with the bottom half of many of the normal zooms, so I don't see much point in a zoom in the wide range. A prime will also be lighter.

This doesn't make any sense. You recommend a 15mm fisheye over a 10-20 type zoom because the 10-20 happens to partially overlap the kit zoom? So what if there is a little overlap? You are still getting a much wider angle of view at the wide end. There is a huge difference between 10mm and 18mm.

trailpixie
27 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Sep 08, 2011 20:06 |  #10

bpark42 wrote in post #12998736 (external link)
This doesn't make any sense. You recommend a 15mm fisheye over a 10-20 type zoom because the 10-20 happens to partially overlap the kit zoom? So what if there is a little overlap? You are still getting a much wider angle of view at the wide end. There is a huge difference between 10mm and 18mm.

You can't directly compare the focal length of a fisheye lens like the Sigma 15mm to a rectilinear lens like the 10-22. 10mm is slightly wider, but not as much as the number might indicate.

Look about halfway down this review for some interesting comparisons of rectilinear projections to fisheye projections.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …-Fisheye-Lens-Review.aspx (external link)
It appears that the 15mm fisheye projection (not all 15mm fisheyes share the same FOV) has a similar field of view to 12mm on the 10-22.

I think my point about overlapping focal lengths is that ultra wide angle is sort of a one-trick-pony. The difference between the wide angle focal lengths can be important, but you can, practically speaking, "zoom with your feet." When I borrowed a friends 10-22, I found myself always working at the extreme ends. The range in between wasn't that interesting. Either I wanted really wide, or I wanted some more normal projection. for that reason, I don't feel that a lack of zoom in the ultra wide area is a disadvantage like it would be in the normal range of 24mm to...say...100 mm lenses. This taken with the inherent image quality compromises of zoom lenses makes me feel that fixed lenses are a good idea for this range.

trailpixie.net (external link)
marcshaffer.net (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 08, 2011 20:47 as a reply to  @ trailpixie's post |  #11

I have the Sigma 10-20. It's a very good lens. Not quite the sharpness of some of the other more expensive ones, but it is by no means cheap and is far superior to the kit lens you have now. So if you are happy with your lens now, you will be thrilled with this one.

Here's a neat tool for you to play with.

http://lens-reviews.com …w-visualisation-tool.html (external link)

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

bpark42
307 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Sep 09, 2011 10:52 |  #12

trailpixie wrote in post #13072818 (external link)
You can't directly compare the focal length of a fisheye lens like the Sigma 15mm to a rectilinear lens like the 10-22. 10mm is slightly wider, but not as much as the number might indicate.

I didn't compare anything to the fisheye. I compared the vastly different 10mm vs. 18mm rectilinear, since your first post implied that the minor overlap at the long end of something like the 10-20 made that lens a poor choice.

I think my point about overlapping focal lengths is that ultra wide angle is sort of a one-trick-pony.

and a fisheye lens isn't?

The difference between the wide angle focal lengths can be important, but you can, practically speaking, "zoom with your feet." When I borrowed a friends 10-22, I found myself always working at the extreme ends. The range in between wasn't that interesting. Either I wanted really wide, or I wanted some more normal projection. for that reason, I don't feel that a lack of zoom in the ultra wide area is a disadvantage like it would be in the normal range of 24mm to...say...100 mm lenses.

This makes some sense of your original post, though I still disagree with recommending a specialized fixed focal length fisheye over an ultrawide zoom to a beginner.

Also, the value of having zoom capability at ultrawide or any other focal range depends very much on the photographer. You mentioned the 24-100 range as likely being a better range for having a zoom. Personally, I very rarely use my 24-105. I shoot primes 95% of the time in that range and almost never miss the ability to zoom. On the other hand, when I want wider than 24mm (full frame) I use the Tokina 11-16 on a 7D, and I use it at every point in the (admittedly limited) zoom range.

This taken with the inherent image quality compromises of zoom lenses makes me feel that fixed lenses are a good idea for this range.

There are plenty of excellent zooms these days that serve as counterexamples to the "zoom = lower image quality" assumption. e.g. the Tokina 11-16, which is in the same price class as the Sigma fisheye, offers top notch image quality, and is both more versatile and easier to use, especially for a beginner.

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 09, 2011 12:09 |  #13

tkbslc wrote in post #12998609 (external link)
18mm is actually very wide. No it is not anywhere near 10mm, but you can still do those kinds of wide dramatic landscapes quite well at 18mm. I would recommend sticking with the 18-55 for a few month and really exploring your needs before you go jumping into expensive lenses.

While I agree with your general advice to the OP, I disagree that 18mm is "very wide" on a crop body.

Yes, I know I'm arguing semantics, but to me 28-35mm fall into the wide angle range for 35mm photography, not very wide angle, and the 18mm on a crop equals a 29mm lens in equivalent field of view.

Very wide would be 24mm (15mm for crop), with ultra wide being 20mm or below (12mm for crop).

However, unless the OP has experience with very/ultra wide angle photography, your advice is sound. I came to view my 20 and 24mm lenses as two of my favorites in the film days, and I'll eventually buy something in that range again for my T2i, but, as I read the other day, ultra wide angle is not for getting everything in the photograph, but for getting the viewer in the photograph. If used just as a "wider than wide" lens, the photos will just make everything small.

Tom

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 09, 2011 12:12 |  #14

samyang/rokinon 14mm

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …tra_Wide_Angle_​f_2_8.html (external link)

and honestly dont worry about it being MF since when your that wide almost everything is in focus anyway lol

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 09, 2011 12:28 |  #15

When talking about UWAs on crops, the discussion usually goes to 4 lenses. From what I have read, all of them are very good, they all have good IQ and are all sharp. They all have a fan-base that will tell you that it is the best.

If cost is the critical deciding factor, you picked the right one.

I have the Tokina and am pleased with it. Here are some of the advantages of each, I will not mention 'sharpness' because all of them are. From what I have read:
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM: Best price of them.

Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM ELD SLD: Fans say this is the sharpest with best IQ.

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM: Real USM motor. Fans say this is the sharpest with best IQ.

Tokina 11-16/2.8 AT-X 116 PRO DX: with f/2.8, this is best for low light. It has the best built quality. The downside of this is flair when shooting into the light; it can also be difficult to find.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

sponsored links

9,707 views & 0 likes for this thread
Affordable Wide Angle for t3i
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.