Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 21:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have not sold one photograph, need help!

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Aug 25, 2011 10:01 |  #31

form wrote in post #12997132 (external link)
If you're color blind, you should not do color photography even if you have any skill.

I can't agree with a blank statement like that. Even people with varying degrees of blindness have been known to make consistent photographs. Others here have indicated there are solutions available for a colorblind person.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

sponsored links
2DP
118 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 25, 2011 10:02 |  #32

If you're color blind, you should not do color photography even if you have any skill.

Maybe I'm misreading your post, please explain to me why someone who is color blind shouldn't do color photography?

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 25, 2011 11:07 |  #33

go away

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,353 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 25, 2011 15:54 |  #34

vault wrote in post #12996121 (external link)
You need to add this line somewhere inside the
<head><head/>
section of your home page:

<meta name="keywords" content="[B][U]some keywords go here, for example[/U][/B], landscape, nature, prints " />

That way search engines will pick up on your keywords, choose them wisely & dont put to many in ;)

Keywords in the sense of metadata, are pretty much useless now.

Maybe I'm biased because I'm familiar with a lot of your locations, but I don't see anything "WOW". I didn't look through your whole site though.

Read my SEO for the Photographer link in my sig. ;)

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

NewHorizonPhoto
180 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 25, 2011 17:32 |  #35

This post is completely out of line. Ever heard of Ludwig van Beethoven? Beethoven was an amazing musician who also happened to be deaf. I am glad he didn't take the advice of others who told him not to write music.... vmad

vault
113 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 25, 2011 17:45 |  #36

Hikin Mike wrote in post #12999288 (external link)

Hmmmm, well they seem to be working ok for me, but, I also have a friend that advertised my site on her Facebook which generates a lot of traffic. I'm averaging 50 hits per day on my site, and have sold quite a few shots ;)

My site
www.pixvault.co.uk (external link)

My websites: Pixvault (external link) / Pixvault Event Photography (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 25, 2011 23:14 |  #37
bannedPermanent ban

NewHorizonPhoto wrote in post #12999903 (external link)
This post is completely out of line. Ever heard of Ludwig van Beethoven? Beethoven was an amazing musician who also happened to be deaf. I am glad he didn't take the advice of others who told him not to write music.... vmad

Ah...not quite. He was near deaf later in his life. He wasn't born deaf and became a legendary composer of his time.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,758 posts
Gallery: 1684 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 25, 2011 23:46 |  #38

Amazing. I think that statement is as stupid as telling someone who is blind that they shouldn't learn to read.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 26, 2011 00:23 |  #39

Julian I agree.

I really can't believe someone actually typed that :lol:

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sierrarisse
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 26, 2011 08:24 |  #40

ThatJamesGuy wrote in post #12995775 (external link)
I'm sorry to put it so bluntly but if you're colorblind, how can you expect to make a living, or even a dollar from colour photography? It's VERY rare for someone to take a print that wouldn't benefit from some post production, and true to that, I see that everything on your site could use some as well. If you can't see the photos you're taking properly, I'm not sure how you are able to tell which ones are your good ones. In my opinion you have 3 options: Switch to B&W only, hire someone to do your post production, or find something else to do that doesn't require colour. Again, I'm not trying to be rude, but that's really what it comes down to. No one's going to buy your photos because they're the best you can do due to this imparement, they'll just look for someone who can see everything.

Thank you for being blunt. I love photography and will keep trying even with my imparement, i don't need to make a living from it. It sounds like CS5 has some sort of technical processing for color blindness that I can look into.

sierrarisse
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 26, 2011 08:28 |  #41

ThatJamesGuy wrote in post #12996025 (external link)
I just remembered there is a color profile setting for colorblind people in photoshop cs5, you could try that.

Great information, i will look intyo it. It is time for me to upgrade from CS4 anyway.

sierrarisse
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 26, 2011 08:48 |  #42

Everyone else has offered useful information for me, and it has been appreciated. I'll keep working on the skill part and maybe have my wife help with the processing part.

sierrarisse
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 26, 2011 14:46 |  #43

Hikin Mike wrote in post #12999288 (external link)

Maybe I'm biased because I'm familiar with a lot of your locations, but I don't see anything "WOW". I didn't look through your whole site though.

Read my SEO for the Photographer link in my sig. ;)

Mike, How many people hit your site a week and how many photographs do you sell from your site?

Keltab
912 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 26, 2011 15:00 as a reply to  @ sierrarisse's post |  #44

First, good luck with the challenges you face. Patience and dedication can help you overcome almost anything you face.

Now for a bit of advice... do you have anyone in your family that enjoys computer stuff? My wife loves to do the computer side of the photos we take. She is a talented artist, so I am lucky to have her helping with the PP work. If you happen to have someone in your family that likes it, maybe you can have them help? And if it is a younger person, maybe you can give them a little if stuff starts selling... Always nice to have the reward option!

Once again, good luck with this! I hope things work out well for you and that sales and such start growing for you.

The Only Difference Between Ordinary and Extraordinary Is That Little Extra :D

Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,353 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 26, 2011 15:27 |  #45

sierrarisse wrote in post #13004861 (external link)
Mike, How many people hit your site a week and how many photographs do you sell from your site?

I average 5000 hits a day. I've sold a few dozen prints this year ranging from 8 x 12 to 18 x 36. :cool:

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

sponsored links

11,161 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have not sold one photograph, need help!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.