Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 06:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fisheye Lenses

jamiebridge
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 25, 2011 06:08 |  #1

Hello,

I am new to the forums, sorry if i have posted this in the wrong area, this area just seemed the most appropriate.
I picked up a cannon 550d for my 21st birthday present at the weekend, and really want to start shooting some HD video, I will mainly be shooting bmx and skating video and want to get a fisheye lens for close up and rolling shots.
How ever i am very new to the photography scene and know very little about lenses, makes ect.
I have about £100 to spend and understand that this will not be enough for any professional fisheye equipment, however i am only looking to start off with something on the budget side to get to grips with it all.

Any help and recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Also do the cheaper £50 to £100 fisheyes literally just screw onto my current lens? which is the 18-55 standard kit lense, or do i need adaptors ect?

Thanks in advance,
Jamie

sponsored links
pulsar123
Goldmember
2,196 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 25, 2011 08:12 |  #2

The cheapest real fisheye you could get is around 300$ new - Samyang/Rokinon/Bower/​Opteka etc. 8mm f/3.5. But is is purely manual (focus and aperture) lens, probably too hard for a beginner. Screw-in fisheye attachments are much cheaper, you still have AF and aperture control. They are of a much lower quality though, but for video they might just be good enough.

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

jamiebridge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 25, 2011 08:41 as a reply to  @ pulsar123's post |  #3

Ok thanks a lot, i will definitely have to go for a screw on, what you be able to recommend any good ones? And would they directly screw onto my existing lens no troubles?

miguelr
470 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 25, 2011 11:01 |  #4

do you want your fisheye to have some zoom or a constant aperture (2.8?)? There is the sigma 10mm f2.8 fisheye which i have and is nice. Tokina has a zoom fisheye but variable aperture. You will have to save up for either of these though..

miguelrphoto.com (external link)
flickr (external link)

jamiebridge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 25, 2011 12:53 |  #5

I think im just going to go with a fisheye lense adapter, start of with something on the cheaper side to get myself comfortable and upgrade when is necessary.

Are either of these any good? any experiences with these lense adapters? and also what is the difference between the two? would it be a massive difference between the cheaper and more expensive one?

Opteka Hd2:
http://www.google.co.u​k …gPTs-WtDA&ved=0CFMQ8wIwAw (external link)

Opteka Platinum Series 0.3X HD Ultra:
http://www.hammerjack.​co.uk …-digital-video-camcorders (external link)

Thanks

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,380 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 25, 2011 13:20 |  #6

your second link won't work fro you...you'll want something that fits onto your current lens...assuming it's the 18-55mm IS you'll want something that attaches to a 58mm filter thread

something like this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk …ain_3&hash=item​3359e18377 (external link)

they're all supposed to be pretty bad...so i don't think it really matters which you choose...you know it'll probably give you all black and a circle image in the center...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

wigloc
297 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 25, 2011 14:52 |  #7

I have the Samyang 8mm 3.5 lens and it is amazing. My favourite lens I guess. Highly recommend it!! Superb! :D It's around 300$ yeah.

flickr (external link)

nrowensby
Goldmember
3,996 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 25, 2011 15:10 |  #8

wigloc wrote in post #12998845 (external link)
I have the Samyang 8mm 3.5 lens and it is amazing. My favourite lens I guess. Highly recommend it!! Superb! :D It's around 300$ yeah.

+1.... Leaps and bounds better than ANY screw on fisheye filter!

--Nick's Marketplace Feedback--
[Insert witty quote here]

jamiebridge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 25, 2011 16:57 as a reply to  @ nrowensby's post |  #9

so it really does seem it would be stupid to waste money on a bad screw on, when i could just put the money towards a decent lens, i looked at some videos on vimeo with the Samyang and it does look awesome! Apart from the Samyang are there any other decent budget fisheyes to consider?

J ­ Bruja
169 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 25, 2011 17:34 |  #10

Here's a link to a short impromptu video to demonstrate the Canon 550D's video ability. There was no preparation. The camera was set on the table, the lens propped up and focused at approx. 10ft, F5.6 or 8. Rolando was sitting across from me discussing digital stuff when I pushed the record button. I removed the audio and this is the result. Rokinon 8mm fisheye

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jjbruja/5924555​284/ (external link)

frankk
825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 25, 2011 18:32 |  #11

jamiebridge wrote in post #12999728 (external link)
Apart from the Samyang are there any other decent budget fisheyes to consider?

Check out the Peleng 8mm f/3.5

TTuna ­ Eye
202 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 25, 2011 23:34 as a reply to  @ frankk's post |  #12

You can see what the Tokina can do at the Cozumel Critters portion of my Smugmug site below. This is all underwater so a different application. The macro shots were done with an EF-S 60.

6D, 60D, 100L, 24-105L, Sig 150-500, nifty 50, EF-S 60mm, Tam SP70-200 f/2.8 Di VC, Underwater gear T2i in a Watershot housing with Inon S2000 strobes.

jamiebridge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 26, 2011 03:24 |  #13

I think im going to save a bit and go for the Samyang, seems like it could be the best option for me, thanks a lot guys i appreciate your help!

nrowensby
Goldmember
3,996 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 26, 2011 07:51 |  #14

frankk wrote in post #13000165 (external link)
Check out the Peleng 8mm f/3.5

On crop sensors, Peleng creates circular image (black borders) where as the Samyang fills the frame.

--Nick's Marketplace Feedback--
[Insert witty quote here]

Loop-d-loop
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 26, 2011 09:03 |  #15

nrowensby wrote in post #13002694 (external link)
On crop sensors, Peleng creates circular image (black borders) where as the Samyang fills the frame.

This is incorrect. I just used my Peleng on a 7D and the image fills the frame. You will see the black borders on a full frame sensor.

Andy

sponsored links

1,913 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fisheye Lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.