Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 25 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 18:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First NFL game - Which lens

stang199gv
147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 25, 2011 18:08 |  #1

I finally got tickets to my first NFL game since I started getting into photography. Seats are on the 50 yd line only 16 rows from the field. I have not done any sports photography yet except for my daughters soccer games. What would be a good lens or lenses to take to capture some of the action given the following choices?
50mm
18-55 kit lens
75-250

sponsored links
work_at_bored
59 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 25, 2011 18:18 |  #2

Bring all of them if you can. The obivious choice is the bring the lens with the longest focal length but if you're going with friends/family I'm sure you'd want to take shots w/of them to remember the occasion. Have fun shooting!!!

-Paul-
my equipment

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 25, 2011 18:38 |  #3

I am guessing that last lens is the 75-300 or the 55-250, either way bring that one into the stadium, the others won't be long enough.

Have the others with you for the pregame shots and stuff the 50mm into your coat in case you want shots of the family in the stadium.

Plus, you said NFL and I saw you were in KC, so are you traveling for the game? :D

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

stang199gv
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 25, 2011 19:09 |  #4

My first thought was the 75-300 (sorry for the mistype). It is my first game in person in 31 years and don't think I will spend a lot of time switching lenses. Think I will bring it and put the 55 in my pocket.

Not traveling to the game. St Louis Rams vs KC Chiefs at home. Annual preseason governor's cup game.

Cozmocha
728 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 25, 2011 20:10 |  #5

I would take the 17-55, take candids, enjoy the game.

250 mm isnt that close from the stands so what ever you do get would be too wide.

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​m (external link) || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtrivers (external link)

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Aug 25, 2011 20:58 |  #6

stang199gv wrote in post #13000314 (external link)
My first thought was the 75-300 (sorry for the mistype). It is my first game in person in 31 years and don't think I will spend a lot of time switching lenses. Think I will bring it and put the 55 in my pocket.

Not traveling to the game. St Louis Rams vs KC Chiefs at home. Annual preseason governor's cup game.

I was teasing about traveling, but i think that will work out for you.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

stang199gv
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 25, 2011 21:04 |  #7

Anyone ever had any problems carrying in a camera when the policy states "no professional cameras or lenses"? I will be taking my 30D and don't want to have to trek all the way back to my car and leave it there.

wombatHorror
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 25, 2011 22:27 |  #8

stang199gv wrote in post #13000060 (external link)
I finally got tickets to my first NFL game since I started getting into photography. Seats are on the 50 yd line only 16 rows from the field. I have not done any sports photography yet except for my daughters soccer games. What would be a good lens or lenses to take to capture some of the action given the following choices?
50mm
18-55 kit lens
75-250

depends on the stadium, sadly meadowlands stadium suddenly decided to get all strict
nothing over 199mm :( oh well more money for yankees then

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 25, 2011 22:46 |  #9

stang199gv wrote in post #13000824 (external link)
Anyone ever had any problems carrying in a camera when the policy states "no professional cameras or lenses"? I will be taking my 30D and don't want to have to trek all the way back to my car and leave it there.

Yes, I have made the trek. Depends on how much of a jerkoff the security folks are. I also firmly believe that if you look like a soccer mom, you can get it in alot easier than if you look like you are a photographer. Have a kid or a lady carry it, and your chances of getting it in increase exponentially.

This space for rent.

donaldwthompson
214 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 26, 2011 07:29 |  #10

I went to a Detroit Lions game last year and they had a MAX of 50mm on the lens. I took my 17-55 in and they told me I could not take it in because the MAX is 50. I gave it to my wife who went down a few boths and they let her in. I think the NFL has a MAX of 50 but again it depends on the person checking it. Also it may have helped that she has surtain assets that I do not.. lol

Gripped Canon 7D
Canon 85mm 1.8 ; Canon 580 EX II and 430 EX II
Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS EF-S
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Equoria
60 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 26, 2011 08:40 |  #11

donaldwthompson wrote in post #13002617 (external link)
I gave it to my wife who went down a few boths and they let her in. Also it may have helped that she has surtain assets that I do not.. lol

BRILLIANT!!!!!!

stang199gv
THREAD ­ STARTER
147 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 26, 2011 09:30 |  #12

Thanks all. I started doing some searches after asking and saw a lot of responses similar to yours. I will just have my 14 year old daughter carry the longer lense inside her purse.

Unfortunately Arrowhead stadium is really unclear on their policy. It only states "No video or professional cameras allowed."

northpointphoto
754 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 27, 2011 00:12 |  #13

From my experience covering NFL games and talking to the security people most of the stadiums have a <6" lens and no pro body policy.

That pretty much cuts down anything over 70mm and I had a security guy tell me before they have a list of cameras the NFL considers "pro bodies" that they aren't supposed to let in the stadiums. I haven't heard the max mm policy before but I would believe it.

According to KCChiefs.com:
Disallowed Items: Video cameras or professional cameras/lenses
Allowed Items: Small still camera and case

Since they say no professional cameras/ lenses I would assume that they have a list of gear they consider to be "professional"

If you really want to you could try taking a bag and put a sweat shirt in it with your bigger lens wrapped up inside and then mount a small lens on the camera.

The only problem is once you're in the stadium if a security person sees you shooting from the stands with a bigger lens than permitted they have the right to eject you from the stadium.

Russell
Russell Tracy Photography (external link) |LIGHTING SETUPS AND DIAGRAMS
Think Tank Photo Affiliate (external link) | Sports Shooter Profile (external link)

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 27, 2011 01:08 |  #14

Has anyone ever asked them, "If you don't allow professional bodies, or lenses, then what the hell are the photographers from Sports Illustrated, Getty Images, etc shooting with...TOYS?"

Just to see their reaction.

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

Supersteve911
613 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 27, 2011 17:06 |  #15

Ive brought my 70-200 into the Metrodome in Minnesota. They don't care about baseball or football but absolutely no professional "white" lenses at the Wild hockey games. My problem is I've never gotten to the lower level at the Vikes.

5D III | 24-105 | 85 1.8 | 70-200 II 2.8 | 2 430 EX II's | 580 EX II |

sponsored links

5,872 views & 0 likes for this thread
First NFL game - Which lens
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.