Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 23 Aug 2011 (Tuesday) 06:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

video help plz

footsoldier
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 23, 2011 06:39 |  #1

hey, hi everyone, new here, not sure if this gets asked alot, butt.

I have a cannon rebel T2i,
i can transfer photos to the computer fine, but the video files come out as 2 seperate files?
am i doing somthing wrong, or do i drag the 2 files into a media player of some sort?

any help thankss

sponsored links
footsoldier
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 24, 2011 20:02 |  #2

Any help please?

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 24, 2011 20:39 |  #3

Don't sweat it. Just keep them together if you're cut&pasting or copy&pasting the video somewhere different. My .MOV file (the video clip thumbnail) won't play if I move it somewhere without the other file thumbnail with the same file number, can't remember the suffix off hand. My guess is that the other file is the computer stuff I can't comprehend that makes the pretty pictures move. ;)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

footsoldier
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 24, 2011 21:31 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #4

The only placed I've moved them is from the camera to the computer.
They get transfered as 2 separate files?
How do I put them together and play them?
Thanksss

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 24, 2011 21:51 |  #5

?? Not sure why you need to put them together to play them on the computer you dragged them into from your camera. Should work fine. When I copy&paste them off my SD card, I keep the 2 files together, I don't only copy one of them. When I play them on my computer I don't have to do anything special. My default media player plays them if I double click on the .MOV file (the one with the picture thumbnail).
Now say I copy only the .MOV file to another computer. I got an error that it couldn't play. That was when I kind of realized I needed to keep them together when moving to a different computer. I guess like you have to keep the engine with the car if you want it to do anything.

My junk

footsoldier
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 25, 2011 05:32 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #6

okkkkkk, so i got them playing, however its saying it doesnt reckonise the file, and its freezing and blurring, i tried windows media player, and quicktime??
is there a certain one that plays them?

Furinox
233 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 25, 2011 07:42 |  #7

Quicktime will play them great. It could be that your computer is too slow to play 1080 files straight from the camera.

Flickr (external link)

jeffmurray
392 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 25, 2011 07:43 |  #8

Foot soldier when you say you have two files - do you mean one .mov file and one .thm file. Or do you mean two .mov files for the one scene?

If the latter - each time you press the record button you get a file. And you have to 'join' them in video editing software- like iMovie, Windows Movie Maker or some other ones. More on that once we know your problem.

If the former, then the thm files are called jpeg (an image compression format) thumbnails. These files contain the EXIF data and a frame preview (the first frame) of the clip to display on your computer so you can recognise the footage. EXIF data is information about the clip stored by the camera such as aperture, shutter speed, lens used, etc.

I don't have a Rebel T2i - I wish. But I do have a other EOS cameras and all my mov files play independently of the thm files. I just keep them with the mov files so I know later the EXIF data.

The movie file will need some of the software installed on the Canon EOS disc. Have you run that? The mov files have a codec (a piece of software that decodes the camera file) that needs to be on your computer. They are in h264 format and need the codec from the camera - it's on the EOS disc and installs when you install I think its the Digital Photo Professional. DPP is guaranteed to play your files.

Go here if your in the UK and don't have your disc - http://www.canon.co.uk …aspx?type=downl​oad&page=1 (external link)

I'd go to Canon site anyway and install the latest versions.

All the best and enjoy your camera!

With kind regards
Jeff
www.jeffmurrayimaging.​com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om …ayimaging/31731​2484981413 (external link)

footsoldier
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 26, 2011 07:57 |  #9

jeffmurray wrote in post #12996495 (external link)
Foot soldier when you say you have two files - do you mean one .mov file and one .thm file. Or do you mean two .mov files for the one scene?

If the latter - each time you press the record button you get a file. And you have to 'join' them in video editing software- like iMovie, Windows Movie Maker or some other ones. More on that once we know your problem.

If the former, then the thm files are called jpeg (an image compression format) thumbnails. These files contain the EXIF data and a frame preview (the first frame) of the clip to display on your computer so you can recognise the footage. EXIF data is information about the clip stored by the camera such as aperture, shutter speed, lens used, etc.

I don't have a Rebel T2i - I wish. But I do have a other EOS cameras and all my mov files play independently of the thm files. I just keep them with the mov files so I know later the EXIF data.

The movie file will need some of the software installed on the Canon EOS disc. Have you run that? The mov files have a codec (a piece of software that decodes the camera file) that needs to be on your computer. They are in h264 format and need the codec from the camera - it's on the EOS disc and installs when you install I think its the Digital Photo Professional. DPP is guaranteed to play your files.

Go here if your in the UK and don't have your disc - http://www.canon.co.uk …aspx?type=downl​oad&page=1 (external link)

I'd go to Canon site anyway and install the latest versions.

All the best and enjoy your camera!

okk, i have 2 files, 1 .mov and .thm
If i click on just the .mov one the video plays sound ok, but its not in time with the video, and it blurrs alot,
Im not a computer wiz but i do have a fairly new computer with all the goods?
Also i installed the cannon disk, it displays photos, but it has nothing on there about video, it wont play them or anything.
what use think??

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 26, 2011 10:29 |  #10

Sounds like your computer isn't up to the task of playing 1080 if the sound is out of sync and the playback isn't smooth.

My junk

CalmAsToast
195 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 26, 2011 12:20 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #11

What you are finding is the file structure that Canon DSLRs use. Unlike with photos, with video, in order for everything to work properly in editing and playback, you need to keep the file structure the same as it is on your card. Below is a screen shot of the content of one of my CF cards from a video I shot last night on my 7D.

Set up a folder somewhere on your system and drag the entire contents of your card (in my case both the DCIM folder and the MISC folder) into your new folder. This will maintain all the structure and content as it should be.

When you move on to editing, you only need to work with the .MOV file. Your editing software will know where to find all the supplemental information that is in the .THM file.

Hope this helps.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D Mk III 7D Canon Lenses 35 2.0 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 24-105 4L IS | 28-135 IS | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 70-300 IS
---------------
Feedback & Gear
500px (external link) - PattersonVisualArts.co​m (external link)

cab ­ ny
101 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 28, 2011 00:40 |  #12

i have the canon T2i and when i shoot video it plays back in the camera with no problem but on the computer I get just the sound or a still pic of the video and sound. Is there something I'm doing wrong the SD is class 10 8G thanks

jeffmurray
392 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 28, 2011 02:23 |  #13

I agree with Brickr it's a graphics card issue. Can you tell us your computer specs? It's unusual you don't see the files in digital photo professional.

What is your RAM, CPU, video graphic card specifications please?

With kind regards
Jeff
www.jeffmurrayimaging.​com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om …ayimaging/31731​2484981413 (external link)

andresme
33 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 28, 2011 21:34 |  #14

cab ny wrote in post #13012063 (external link)
i have the canon T2i and when i shoot video it plays back in the camera with no problem but on the computer I get just the sound or a still pic of the video and sound. Is there something I'm doing wrong the SD is class 10 8G thanks

Definitely don't use Windows Movie Maker. Also check if your Quicktime is up to date. Yeah, post some specs.

cab ­ ny
101 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 28, 2011 22:06 |  #15

when played in quicktime works fine thanks

sponsored links

1,392 views & 0 likes for this thread
video help plz
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.