Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Aug 2011 (Saturday) 19:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for a Lighter Weight version of a Nature Trekker

dbdors
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 20, 2011 19:44 |  #1

I have a Lowepro Mini Trekker that I use almost any time I take my camera out. It's a great bag in my opinion for three reasons, 1) It holds a lot of gear, 2) it is fairly light weight, i.e. the bag empty only weights a couple of pounds & 3) Mini Trekker is flexible, it seems to move and give and flex when you load a lot of gear. Almost feels like it grows as you load it up.

However, there are times when I hit the trail on some national park or travel trip and I want to take a lot of my gear.

I have a LowePro Nature Trekker for this purpose, but even that wont hold all the gear I want to take. Mainly I may get an external pouch for a 300/4 IS.

Getting an external pouch wouldn't be so bad, but the Nature Trekker weights a ton. The bag by it self is heavy before you even load the gear. Plus the bag seems stiff. It wont hold much gear in the front pouches when the gear compartment if full. The foam insert seems very stiff and ridgid.

Can any of you suggest a bag on the size of the Nature Trekker that is lightweight and flexible.

Typically I would carry two gripped bodies (5D, 40D), a 17-40, 24-104, 50/1.8, 70-200/2.8 IS, a 300/4IS or 180 macro (in external pouch if needed), maybe an 85/1.8, and all the other stuff you need, like BP-511s, flash (580 or 270), AA cells.

Darrell
My SmugMug Nature/Landscape Gallery (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,946 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 21, 2011 00:38 |  #2

I just received my Pro Runner 350 AW and loving it. Although a bit smaller, looks like you can shed a couple of pounds going this route.

http://products.lowepr​o.com …Runner-350-AW,2183,16.htm (external link)

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

Joris
251 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 21, 2011 05:03 as a reply to  @ EmaginePixel's post |  #3

I'm not familiar with other brands than Lowepro, so can't recommend bags from any other manufacturers.

The Pro Runner 350 AW which mellofellow mentioned above will not fit a body with vertical grip attached. You'd need the Pro Runner 450 AW for that. Then there's the Vertex series, of which the 100 AW or 200 AW might suit your needs. The Pro Trekker AW series is brilliant, but they are all heavier than your Nature Trekker AW II.

And last but not least, you might want to look at the Flipside 400 AW. It's lighter and about the same size as your Nature Trekker AW II.

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,946 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 21, 2011 09:34 |  #4

Joris wrote in post #12971393 (external link)
The Pro Runner 350 AW which mellofellow mentioned above will not fit a body with vertical grip attached.

HuH???!!! I'm using it to carry 7D and 5Dii both gripped.

I'll agree that the Flipside 400 aw is an excellent suggestion. The difference is that the Pro Runner has a laptop compartment.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

Joris
251 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 21, 2011 09:46 as a reply to  @ EmaginePixel's post |  #5

Well, according to Lowepro's website it fits up to a DSLR with a 70-200/2.8 attached. Unless they've made a mistake I'd believe their data, because I'm using the CompuTrekker AW, the 350 AW's predecessor.

And that one is a little deeper (1 cm) yet I don't think I could get a grip under my camera...

Edit: have seen you could put it in there on its side...*facepalm*

D'oh!

dbdors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 21, 2011 18:42 |  #6

Thanks for the feedback so far. I am a LowePro fan (and as I said, I love the Mini Trekker). Would like to stick with them. But after going through their line up, I don't see any good alternatives. The 350AW doesn't look that much bigger than the Mini and still quite heavy.

Some of the Katas look okay. I need to find one some where and get my hands on one. I've seen the reviews on this boards sticky.

Darrell
Gear List

Joris
251 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 21, 2011 23:06 as a reply to  @ dbdors's post |  #7

Have you looked at the Flipside 400 AW :) ?

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,173 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 22, 2011 01:08 |  #8

The flipside 400 aw will not hold all the gear he listed. Maybe a vertex series bag.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

Joris
251 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 22, 2011 01:45 as a reply to  @ sonnyc's post |  #9

One of the Vertex series would certainly fit all the gear he listed, but the Vertex 200 AW and Vertex 300 AW are heavier than the Nature Trekker AW II he has got. The 100 AW is a little lighter, but is also slightly less high than the Flipside 400 AW I mentioned.

cutaway
50 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 22, 2011 02:12 |  #10

Take a look at the Gura Gear Kiboko (http://www.guragear.co​m/product.php (external link)). It's less than 4 pounds empty but made of very durable sail cloth material. It also has a very comfortable backpack system that can also be secured away when not needed.

dbdors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 22, 2011 10:32 |  #11

cutaway wrote in post #12976450 (external link)
Take a look at the Gura Gear Kiboko (http://www.guragear.co​m/product.php (external link)). It's less than 4 pounds empty but made of very durable sail cloth material. It also has a very comfortable backpack system that can also be secured away when not needed.

I have been looking at it yesterday as well. Continuing to check out reviews under the Bags sticky. The Kiboko looks great. Seems to be a bit bigger that I need, but nice none the less. It will be hard to spend the $400 on a bag, but it is very nice.

Would be nice if they a slightly smaller bag though.

Darrell
Gear List

cutaway
50 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Aug 24, 2011 02:48 |  #12

I don't think the Kiboko will be over-sized for what you listed. You'll probably have some space available but empty space doesn't weigh anything :-) The Kiboko was specifically designed to meet airline requirements for carry-on.

I'll try to get a quick photo of my Kiboko loaded with a similar load in the next 2-3 days.

That being said there is speculation that Gura Gear will be coming out with different sizes. As to when and what, that's anybody's guess.

dbdors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 26, 2011 20:35 |  #13

I wrote an email to Kiboko and they responded pretty quickly. They said no promises, but to stay tuned, for a new smaller bag.

I picked up a used LowePro Photo Trekker Classic. Its not the lightest, but not the heaviest either. But very much like the Mini Trekker. We'll see how it does. I can always sell it later.

Darrell
Gear List

sponsored links

2,552 views & 0 likes for this thread
Looking for a Lighter Weight version of a Nature Trekker
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.