Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 15:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Calling all T3i users!!!

Mr.AnviL
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 26, 2011 21:51 |  #286

lankforddl wrote in post #13006587 (external link)
This may be a silly question but when you guys use the T3i for video does it appear choppy when you play it back in the computer? I think this may be a computer issue but not sure. I use a class 10 45mb/s SD card so that shouldn't be an issue for recording.

Any thoughts?

I know what your talking about, same thing happens to me. At first I thought there was something wrong with the camera. The problem is your computer like mine is having a hard time playing the HD video. A quick way to test this is record a short video and upload it to youtube and you will see it plays perfectly where as on your computer it would be choppy. It's either your vid card or ram possibly or lack of processor speed maybe. I can't say for sure as I am having the same issue, but rest assure your camera is not broken, it's your computer that can't handle the high def video. Good luck.

Canon - EOS Rebel T3i
Flick (external link)r

sponsored links
Mr.AnviL
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 26, 2011 21:53 as a reply to  @ Mr.AnviL's post |  #287

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6196/6081097615_bfb736f939_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mranvil/6081097​615/  (external link) "]
(DUPLICATE IMAGE)
 (external link)

Canon - EOS Rebel T3i
Flick (external link)r

lankforddl
747 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 26, 2011 21:59 |  #288

Mr.AnviL wrote in post #13006712 (external link)
I know what your talking about, same thing happens to me. At first I thought there was something wrong with the camera. The problem is your computer like mine is having a hard time playing the HD video. A quick way to test this is record a short video and upload it to youtube and you will see it plays perfectly where as on your computer it would be choppy. It's either your vid card or ram possibly or lack of processor speed maybe. I can't say for sure as I am having the same issue, but rest assure your camera is not broken, it's your computer that can't handle the high def video. Good luck.

thanks for sharing your exp. I recorded a lower res video and sure enough it plays back fine. My computer system is pretty beefy though. weird.

5DIICAN17-40CAN50CAN85CAN100CAN135CAN70-200

oneDee
40 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 26, 2011 23:42 |  #289

lankforddl wrote in post #13006749 (external link)
thanks for sharing your exp. I recorded a lower res video and sure enough it plays back fine. My computer system is pretty beefy though. weird.

The type of video compression utilized for this kind of High Definition is significantly more demanding than the much less compressed HDV format you encounter on tape based HD camcorders. For instance I can have an hours worth of HDV open with multiple cuts, pastes etc. in Sony Vegas and have it all run perfectly smooth on my laptop. On the contrary if I open a 3 minute clip from my T3i, without any cuts, it will run choppy by the 3 second mark. It just chokes the system. A quad core is needed to edit and run seamless video. The video card matters too but they are not utilized properly in this scenario (with the exception being Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5's Mercury Playback Engine which enables GPU acceleration with certain graphics cards). All other software puts most of the load on the processor. A core i5 is probably the minimum worth using and an i7 would be better. It's a shame really because none of this extra horsepower would be needed if the software currently available could tap into even just a half way decent graphics card. Any Blu-Ray player has all the hardware necessary to play this kind of video smoothly (not that they are set up to do so - I'm just making the point that dedicated processing would greatly reduce processor demand). We are just at a point in time where these advanced video codecs got way ahead of the software to cope with them - so we have to throw expensive hardware at it in the meantime.

lankforddl
747 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 27, 2011 10:04 |  #290

oneDee wrote in post #13007185 (external link)
The type of video compression utilized for this kind of High Definition is significantly more demanding than the much less compressed HDV format you encounter on tape based HD camcorders. For instance I can have an hours worth of HDV open with multiple cuts, pastes etc. in Sony Vegas and have it all run perfectly smooth on my laptop. On the contrary if I open a 3 minute clip from my T3i, without any cuts, it will run choppy by the 3 second mark. It just chokes the system. A quad core is needed to edit and run seamless video. The video card matters too but they are not utilized properly in this scenario (with the exception being Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5's Mercury Playback Engine which enables GPU acceleration with certain graphics cards). All other software puts most of the load on the processor. A core i5 is probably the minimum worth using and an i7 would be better. It's a shame really because none of this extra horsepower would be needed if the software currently available could tap into even just a half way decent graphics card. Any Blu-Ray player has all the hardware necessary to play this kind of video smoothly (not that they are set up to do so - I'm just making the point that dedicated processing would greatly reduce processor demand). We are just at a point in time where these advanced video codecs got way ahead of the software to cope with them - so we have to throw expensive hardware at it in the meantime.

Great point and thanks for the input. It begs the question though. How many people are "fully" using the video capabilities of the T2i, T3i, 60D, 7D, etc... Video is a whole other discipline next to pure photography. Makes it kinda interested for a hobby photog like me.

fotobuff
88 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 27, 2011 11:15 as a reply to  @ lankforddl's post |  #291

I shot some video a week ago just to try it. It's really shaky since it was hand held with the 55-250mm. The only reason I uploaded it is because some may be interested. Apart from the shaking, I was happy with the quality of the original fine, which played well on my win7 pc.

http://youtu.be/AV2DN8​1CyOY (external link)

Randy
5D Mark IV - 7D Mark II - 7D - EF 24-105mm f4 L - EF 70-200mm f2.8 L - EF 400mm f5.6 L - EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM - EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM - EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM - Extender Tube EF12 II - Canon 1.4X III TC

fotobuff
88 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 27, 2011 11:35 as a reply to  @ fotobuff's post |  #292

Some more images shot with the same set-up and hand held 55-250mm:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Randy
5D Mark IV - 7D Mark II - 7D - EF 24-105mm f4 L - EF 70-200mm f2.8 L - EF 400mm f5.6 L - EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM - EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM - EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM - Extender Tube EF12 II - Canon 1.4X III TC

fotobuff
88 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 27, 2011 11:38 as a reply to  @ fotobuff's post |  #293

one more for now

HOSTED PHOTO

Randy

athlete1
756 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 27, 2011 13:00 as a reply to  @ Mr.AnviL's post |  #294

A Hobby in flight .
Crop from jpeg.

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6210/6083658340_a63ce184de_b.jpg

Chris

Canon EOS Rebel T3i
Canon D60
EF-s 18-55 is
EF-s 55-250 IS
Sigma 400mm F5.6 APO

XoZe
173 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 28, 2011 12:03 |  #295

Locke30 wrote in post #12128286 (external link)
Camera raw 6.4 is available which supports the t3i, it is/was still in release candidate status so you have to hunt for it a little. Alternatively when I bought photoshop it came with 6.4.

So what files is the T3i creating? CR2? Why not use bridge to DNG them? I'd like to know before I buy this camera as I don't want to have to update CS4. I see Camera Raw 6.4 out there, but apparently it only supports CS5.

tanhaa
45 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 29, 2011 10:03 |  #296

XoZe wrote in post #13013790 (external link)
So what files is the T3i creating? CR2? Why not use bridge to DNG them? I'd like to know before I buy this camera as I don't want to have to update CS4. I see Camera Raw 6.4 out there, but apparently it only supports CS5.

No harm in converting them to DNG. In fact I convert all of my raw T3i files to DNG in lightroom.

T3i || EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II || EF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6IS USM Lens

tanhaa
45 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 29, 2011 10:07 |  #297

lankforddl wrote in post #13006587 (external link)
This may be a silly question but when you guys use the T3i for video does it appear choppy when you play it back in the computer? I think this may be a computer issue but not sure. I use a class 10 45mb/s SD card so that shouldn't be an issue for recording.

Any thoughts?

The video files produced by the T3i are highly compressed and you need a good computer to play back those files. My computer that I normally use to process my photos can't handle those files, while I have played them on a quad core computer and they play smoothly. Check your hardware specs and try playing the files on a different computer that are better. If you have an HDMI TV, output from camera with a cable connected to the TV and playback, you will not notice any choppiness.

T3i || EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II || EF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6IS USM Lens

lankforddl
747 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Aug 29, 2011 10:14 |  #298

tanhaa wrote in post #13018517 (external link)
The video files produced by the T3i are highly compressed and you need a good computer to play back those files. My computer that I normally use to process my photos can't handle those files, while I have played them on a quad core computer and they play smoothly. Check your hardware specs and try playing the files on a different computer that are better. If you have an HDMI TV, output from camera with a cable connected to the TV and playback, you will not notice any choppiness.

any advice on what to convert the video files with?

XoZe
173 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Aug 29, 2011 10:55 |  #299

OK...just put the order in for a T3i with the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4. Should be here by Wednesday.

yrigaray90210
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 29, 2011 23:11 |  #300

If video is not playing smoothly in Premiere Pro, check if you have a yellow line on top of your timeline, if it is yellow (instead of red o green) then go to "Sequence" Select "Sequence," then "Render Entire Work Area" to eliminate the yellow line over the footage in the timeline. Now video should play nicely in the program monitor.

sponsored links

1,589,874 views & 139 likes for this thread
Calling all T3i users!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.