Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 25 Aug 2011 (Thursday) 12:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New website; please advise

Leftcoast_Mike
Goldmember
2,575 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 27, 2011 15:21 |  #31

sorry - not to thread-jack...

first of all, I like your site. I've checked it a few times since this thread was started.

second - is this trend to avoid using Flash really the way to go because certain Apple devices can't view them?

My Facebook Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

sponsored links
wannabephotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 27, 2011 18:59 |  #32

kjonnnn wrote in post #13009843 (external link)
Constructively,

- Use some contrast color to lighten the feel. So much brown.
- Lose the Cursive writing. Its hard to read especially with that color on brown.
- I don't get the use of the term "investment." Since it seems to be about your prices, say Prices. Before I clicked, I figured you were going to be talking about what you invested, or having someone invest in your company.
- In your meta tags... Google and Yahoo I know doesn't use keywords for ranking anymore.. but you've stuff it with so many words, and your repeat so many of those. The overuse of "photographer" and "photography" ,etc., might get you demoted, rather than promoted.
- Lose the justify text. Left justified is warmer.
- In your footer, you don't need more navigation links, they're in your header. I'd put your address phone and contact info, especially since your contact page is an image, not text.
- In your meta descriptions and title, I'd make them page specific.
- Use Google's web master tools ...
- You talk about your "studio" but no street address anywhere? I'd be leery of taking my kids somewhere that I couldn't check out before hand.
- Again, lose the brown.
- Can iPad's see Flash yet?

Wow, thank you for taking the time to offer all those detailed suggestions.
I wanted to have an elegant feel so the cursive stays.

At least half the photog sites use "investment" rather than "prices". Sounds classier. I don't think too many of my target audience will misunderstand the term in this context.

I've had successful websites previously (business development) so I know this site won't get dinged for anything. When I wrote the content I didn't even think in terms of SEO. I just wrote what I wanted to convey.

The contact page does have text, including the phone number, email, city and general area. Plus a google map. I didn't put the exact house number for safety reasons (my safety). It is a nice, middle class neighborhood but I like my privacy. I show pics of the studio itself so clients know it's a very nice place. No dingy basement or anything like that.

Thanks again! I will certainly take the suggestions under consideration!

Sylvia
http://publishedwriter​forhire.wordpress.com/ (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 27, 2011 20:00 |  #33

lose that yellow kid too:)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

wannabephotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 27, 2011 21:03 |  #34

cnv wrote in post #13009416 (external link)
What makes me feel that way is that it's very structured. Big buttons, tabular layout, etc. IMO your photography needs to take center stage. Let your work speak for its self. Right now your web design over powers your photography. It implies that you have something to hide (so-so photography) and your trying to distract me with the site design. Make your photos the star, make your navigation simple, and don't sweat the rest.

Hmm. Very interesting. Will think this over, but the site is brand new and I can't imagine any major changes right off the bat.

Sylvia

wannabephotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 27, 2011 21:07 |  #35

kjonnnn wrote in post #13010827 (external link)
1. Cursive on the web doesn't always translate to elegant... but thats your call obviously
2. I don't think regular people think "prices" when they see the word "Investment"
3. You can Google just about anything on keywords to find out of its use and abuse.
4. IF you've had "successful" websites before, you should know that images don't get read by webcrawlers. Your contact page is image slices, not text.
5. There are no images of your "studio"

Have a great day.

Others have had problems seeing the pics in the studio page. But they are there.

Sylvia

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 27, 2011 21:09 |  #36

kjonnnn wrote in post #13010827 (external link)
2. I don't think regular people think "prices" when they see the word "Investment"

Have a great day.

As far as this goes, think of it this way- a family has set aside $2500 for a wedding photography package. You imply that clients can "Invest now and enjoy their photographs for generations to come" if they go with your company. You only get married once (well, that's the theory everyone goes into marriage with, anyway) so "invest wisely in your decision".

Personally, IMO, anything I'm paying that much money for is an investment in something. If I'm not getting some sort of return, be it monetary or personal, I'm not going to pay for it. So I'm not going to invest my time and money in a crappy photographer.

Investment is a very commonly used term in photography these days. I used to be against the term investment until I took a seminar last year a panel of photography clients say they prefer that term because it sounds higher end. Also "Fees" and "Prices" implies you are losing money. Investment implies you are spending money but will get an emotional return on the money you spent. People are interesting. They want to think what they are getting is worth something, even if it's only valuable to them.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

wannabephotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 27, 2011 21:36 |  #37

PeaceFire wrote in post #13011288 (external link)
As far as this goes, think of it this way- a family has set aside $2500 for a wedding photography package. You imply that clients can "Invest now and enjoy their photographs for generations to come" if they go with your company. You only get married once (well, that's the theory everyone goes into marriage with, anyway) so "invest wisely in your decision".

Personally, IMO, anything I'm paying that much money for is an investment in something. If I'm not getting some sort of return, be it monetary or personal, I'm not going to pay for it. So I'm not going to invest my time and money in a crappy photographer.

Investment is a very commonly used term in photography these days. I used to be against the term investment until I took a seminar last year a panel of photography clients say they prefer that term because it sounds higher end. Also "Fees" and "Prices" implies you are losing money. Investment implies you are spending money but will get an emotional return on the money you spent. People are interesting. They want to think what they are getting is worth something, even if it's only valuable to them.

What she said.
Seriously, that is beautifully stated and the very reason I deliberately chose the term "investment".

Sylvia

wannabephotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 27, 2011 21:39 |  #38

scorpio_e wrote in post #13010946 (external link)
lose that yellow kid too:)

Well, geez. Obviously on my monitor I don't see a yellow kid. Maybe if you described the photo a little better I could look into it.:rolleyes:

Sylvia

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 27, 2011 22:02 |  #39

Took too long to load on my computer. Who are you using to host this site?

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Warrior17
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Aug 28, 2011 00:19 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #40

No pics on Studio part of site. I'm using Safari on my mac with fast internet connection. Other than that, it look s like a nice site.

khartley535
25 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 28, 2011 09:06 |  #41

wannabephotog wrote in post #13011409 (external link)
Well, geez. Obviously on my monitor I don't see a yellow kid. Maybe if you described the photo a little better I could look into it.:rolleyes:

There is a newborn with a blue ribbon tied around him. He looks very jaundiced to me, especially against the bright white background.

wannabephotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 28, 2011 10:27 |  #42

khartley535 wrote in post #13013120 (external link)
There is a newborn with a blue ribbon tied around him. He looks very jaundiced to me, especially against the bright white background.

Ah, thank you. I'll edit the pic and re-load. It's not too bad on my end though so I imagine callibration has something to do with it. Thanks for looking!

Sylvia

wannabephotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 28, 2011 10:28 |  #43

Warrior17 wrote in post #13011987 (external link)
No pics on Studio part of site. I'm using Safari on my mac with fast internet connection. Other than that, it look s like a nice site.

Does anyone know why that particular page gives so many people problems viewing the pics? There are 3 static photos on the right side of the page.

Sylvia

wannabephotog
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 28, 2011 10:28 |  #44

ben_r_ wrote in post #13011502 (external link)
Took too long to load on my computer. Who are you using to host this site?

Godaddy

Sylvia

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 28, 2011 13:07 |  #45

Leftcoast_Mike wrote in post #13009834 (external link)
second - is this trend to avoid using Flash really the way to go because certain Apple devices can't view them?

Well, IMO there are lots of reasons to avoid Flash. But at the very least, if you insist on having a Flash only website, offer a mobile website as well. It takes just a few minutes to create, not hard at all.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

sponsored links

4,939 views & 0 likes for this thread
New website; please advise
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.