Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 28 Aug 2011 (Sunday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Senior photo's

BasAndrews
Cream of the Crop
12,968 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 28, 2011 14:37 |  #1

This is more of a cultural question than technical, but what is the "senior photo''?

In the UK we are adopting more and more American traditions. The prom is big business (stretched limos are a booming industry), but (so far) we don't seem to have the senior photo as a requirement from our brats/kids.

Or have I read too much into the threads about it, and it is simply a term for pictures of a certain age group?

Many thanks for any guidance.

Bas.

Bas (external link)

sponsored links
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,699 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 28, 2011 19:08 |  #2

They are generally taken in the summer before a student becomes a "senior" in High School. Its like a graduation photo, only taken in advance. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 28, 2011 19:21 |  #3

haha...
Bas, the whole concept is something quite foreign to Aussies as well.
In these parts, a Senior is generally someone in their senior years of life - loosely around 60 plus - not a teenager in high school.
I posed a similar question earlier this year in this thread https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=988846
Some of the answers were quite interesting.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

BasAndrews
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,968 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 28, 2011 22:26 |  #4

Thanks both. I don't feel quite so stupid now.

Bas.

Bas (external link)

Journeyingjon
128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 29, 2011 09:27 |  #5

philwillmedia wrote in post #13015595 (external link)
haha...
Bas, the whole concept is something quite foreign to Aussies as well.
In these parts, a Senior is generally someone in their senior years of life - loosely around 60 plus - not a teenager in high school.

I'm Canadian and I'd agree with Phil's definition of a "senior". I think the titles of freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior are very American

www.jonathanneufeld.co​m (external link)

2nasty4u
43 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 31, 2011 11:57 |  #6

Yes, 9th graders are referred to as Freshmen, 10th graders as Sophomores, 11th graders as Juniors, and 10th graders as Seniors. Senior pictures are usually taken the summer before senior year like someone stated but many are taken throughout the school year, especially during the Fall. The point of the pictures is to capture the final years of their "youth" before they go off to college or grow up and move out. They are handed out to friends and families, so the wallets are quite popular. Also, many are used as the background to invites to "open houses," or a graduation party at the end of the year.

BasAndrews
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,968 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 31, 2011 12:15 |  #7

Thanks for the info. It seem I was not the only one oblivious of this tradition, so it was worth asking.

Bas.

Bas (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,102 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 03, 2011 17:23 |  #8

This is relatively new in the US ("relatively new" being relative to how old a person is--this market did not exist when I was a senior).

At the higher levels of practice, "high school senior photography" gives the kid a few hours of being a fashion model--it's as much about the experience as about the pictures.

Many US portrait photographers make a majority of their living doing high school seniors. I don't do a lot of it--I don't really market it--but I get a fair amount of word of mouth and average about $900 per senior.

There is a Canadian photographer who is currently extremely successful creating the market up there.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Aer
54 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 20, 2011 17:16 |  #9

"Senior" also means someone who is around 60 years or older in the U.S. There are two meanings! You can also be a senior/4th year in undergraduate university (post-secondary school).

Journeyingjon wrote in post #13018288 (external link)
I'm Canadian and I'd agree with Phil's definition of a "senior". I think the titles of freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior are very American

Canon EOS Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55mm IS | 55-250mm IS | 50mm f/1.8 II

Scooby_Doo
157 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Sep 21, 2011 17:23 |  #10

Aer wrote in post #13135529 (external link)
"Senior" also means someone who is around 60 years or older in the U.S. There are two meanings! You can also be a senior/4th year in undergraduate university (post-secondary school).

Also freshmen, sohpmore, junior and senior can be used in college too :D

DMPRO78
23 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 18, 2011 04:06 |  #11

RDKirk wrote in post #13046790 (external link)
This is relatively new in the US ("relatively new" being relative to how old a person is--this market did not exist when I was a senior).

Sorry, but even as far back as my father's Senior Year in 1943, (of course you could be older than my Dad) a Senior Portrait, or rather a "Senior Grad" portrait was common. My father was the Senior Section Editor for his class YearBook. Each Senior had a Wallet sized picture hand pasted into the yearbook. Fortunately, my father's class was only 8 Graduating Seniors. But to say that this is "relatively new in the US" is far from the truth. One's personal perception cannot be fact until a thorough investigation of the matter is made to prove the point. Yours is now proven to be less than a fact, but more a perception that was unsubstantiated. But the rest of the world seems to be unaware, or rather, unconcerned for the practice and leaves us as the "unusual" Americans that we are! :D

Dave Prouty
De gustibus non est disputandum!

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,102 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Dec 18, 2011 08:08 |  #12

DMPRO78 wrote in post #13562326 (external link)
Sorry, but even as far back as my father's Senior Year in 1943, (of course you could be older than my Dad) a Senior Portrait, or rather a "Senior Grad" portrait was common. My father was the Senior Section Editor for his class YearBook. Each Senior had a Wallet sized picture hand pasted into the yearbook. Fortunately, my father's class was only 8 Graduating Seniors. But to say that this is "relatively new in the US" is far from the truth. One's personal perception cannot be fact until a thorough investigation of the matter is made to prove the point. Yours is now proven to be less than a fact, but more a perception that was unsubstantiated. But the rest of the world seems to be unaware, or rather, unconcerned for the practice and leaves us as the "unusual" Americans that we are! :D

Having a "senior portrait" and picture in a yearbook is not new, but this phenomenon of parents spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars on the "fashion model for a day" experience as a "rite of passage" is relatively new.

My average senior job is usually an hour in the studio and an hour on location, and my average sale is about $1200. That was not happening in 1943, not even in 1943 dollars.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

BlurredImage
114 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 20, 2011 08:01 |  #13

I was a senior in HS in 1988 and we had senior portraits but they were through the school. My mom would not have hired a tog to take the photos. I think she spent around $150 even then.

sponsored links

3,662 views & 0 likes for this thread
Senior photo's
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.