Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Forums  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Dec 2008 (Friday) 20:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links (only for non-logged)

Official, show us your camera thread...

this thread is locked
Nomofica
509 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 28, 2011 14:45 |  #6811

Rivest wrote in post #13014075 (external link)
Well, that diffuser doesn't get much love on POTN. Lots of people hate it, stating it does nothing but reducing your flash efficiency.

Some prefer using that modifiers to hold AA batteries or misc accessories in the bag ;)

I'm sorry, should I go out and purchase ridiculously overpriced Gary Fong products for things that don't get much notice (nor should they) in a final photograph simply to please the fanboys of POTN?

Actually I'm not sorry. To put everything at ease, my 430EX II wasn't even turned on. It was on top of my camera because it's a convenient place to put it, and a bit better than into dirt.

That being said, the 430EX II with a Stofen is more than capable of adding slight fill/catch lighting on a subject 1.8m away.

Portfolio (external link) | 5∞ (external link) | Flickr (external link)

NorCalNomad
Goldmember
1,074 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Aug 28, 2011 14:51 |  #6812

Nomofica wrote in post #13014390 (external link)
I'm sorry, should I go out and purchase ridiculously overpriced Gary Fong products for things that don't get much notice (nor should they) in a final photograph simply to please the fanboys of POTN?

Actually I'm not sorry. To put everything at ease, my 430EX II wasn't even turned on. It was on top of my camera because it's a convenient place to put it, and a bit better than into dirt.

That being said, the 430EX II with a Stofen is more than capable of adding slight fill/catch lighting on a subject 1.8m away.

Rivest wrote in post #13013527 (external link)
^^ You like wasting flash power?

He is saying this because the Omnibounce is not made to be used outside. It's whole concept is bouncing (it's in the name ;). Look at this http://www.stofen.com/​info/howitworks.asp (external link) notice how it's bouncing. So when using a Omnibounce outside you are wasting flash power since you are not effectively increasing the area the the light is coming out of forward (one of the factors that can make your light softer), and the obvious semi-opaqueness of the plastic.

...screw listing gear,it just sets up preconceived notions...but if you must link (external link)

NorCalNomad.com (external link)
Industrial Design Portfolio (external link)
$15 Targus Monopod Review

Nomofica
509 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 28, 2011 14:56 as a reply to  @ post 6868005 |  #6813

Read my post over again - my 430EX II was not turned on. Not only that, but if every tool was used exactly as it should be used with no deviation, that's throwing creativity out of the window.

People stop over analyzing every damned thing on this website. Sheesh....

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 28, 2011 16:54 as a reply to  @ post 6868005 |  #6814

IMAGE: http://www.timnosenzophoto.com/Other/Gear/i-BCHpFDC/0/L/IMG5211-L.jpg

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

The ­ Ran
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 28, 2011 17:15 as a reply to  @ post 6868005 |  #6815

What body's that? It looks like an older one, 40/50D maybe, yet it has what looks like a speaker and I wouldn't see a need for that unless it recorded video.

Gear List

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 28, 2011 17:18 as a reply to  @ timnosenzo's post |  #6816

Nomofica wrote in post #13014427 (external link)
Not only that, but if every tool was used exactly as it should be used with no deviation, that's throwing creativity out of the window.

Creativity and utility are not the same thing. Adding a stofen to a flash outside just cuts your flash power. It doesn't do anything creative to the photo.

It doesn't matter if the flash was on - the point was that putting the stofen on the flash was useless (and, in fact, "harmful").

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 28, 2011 17:19 |  #6817

The Ran wrote in post #13015032 (external link)
What body's that? It looks like an older one, 40/50D maybe, yet it has what looks like a speaker and I wouldn't see a need for that unless it recorded video.

AF-ON button, size of the screen, and the layout makes me think it's a 5DmkII.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

Nomofica
509 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 28, 2011 17:29 |  #6818

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #13015052 (external link)
Creativity and utility are not the same thing. Adding a stofen to a flash outside just cuts your flash power. It doesn't do anything creative to the photo.

It doesn't matter if the flash was on - the point was that putting the stofen on the flash was useless (and, in fact, "harmful").

Harmful? In what way? Because the Stofen AND the flash were only put on my camera at that point in time so I didn't have to put it in the dirt?

It seems to me most people here on POTN cannot post without reasonable thinking. OMGZ TEH STOFEN IS ON A FLASH OUTSIDE WHO CARES IF ITS OFF OR NOT ITS HURTING OH NOEEZZ.

Please. The Stofen was on the flash, yes. The flash was on my camera, yes. No, the flash was not fired because there as no power to it. No, I didn't put it on my camera to use it but rather keep it out of the dirt. Get over it and stop taking everything at face value.

The ­ Ran
Goldmember
1,555 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Aug 28, 2011 17:36 |  #6819

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #13015062 (external link)

Ah yes, a bit of Googling shows you are correct. I assumed it would have similar controls to the 7D such as the recording button.

Gear List

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 28, 2011 17:39 |  #6820

Nomofica wrote in post #13015117 (external link)
Harmful? In what way? Because the Stofen AND the flash were only put on my camera at that point in time so I didn't have to put it in the dirt?

It seems to me most people here on POTN cannot post without reasonable thinking. OMGZ TEH STOFEN IS ON A FLASH OUTSIDE WHO CARES IF ITS OFF OR NOT ITS HURTING OH NOEEZZ.

Please. The Stofen was on the flash, yes. The flash was on my camera, yes. No, the flash was not fired because there as no power to it. No, I didn't put it on my camera to use it but rather keep it out of the dirt. Get over it and stop taking everything at face value.

"most people here on POTN" is called a generalization.

Few debates gets anywhere, based on generalizations.

Please calm down. You have said the flash wasn't turned on. What more do you want to say? I.e. what new facts do you see a big need to represent in new posts? Saying the same thing can be meaningful when talking with someone - he/she might have a bad hearing, or there may ave been windy outside, making it hard to hear. But posting the same things multiple times on a forum, does not really do much. The information was either read the first time, or will not be read - or agreed with - if you repeat it 10 times.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,833 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Aug 28, 2011 17:40 |  #6821

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #13015062 (external link)

yep

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,429 posts
Gallery: 610 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 28, 2011 17:40 |  #6822

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #13015052 (external link)

...unless he primarily uses the thing indoors...

Lets all calm down, This is something really stupid to be screaming over and arguing about....While the people **** about the Stofen on the 430EXII outside are perhaps wrong(and this is the wrong thread to debate the utility of the Stofen anyways), Nomofica, your replies just escalated the situation because the tone you took was highly aggressive and antagonistic

Also most people are going to assume that flash mounted = flash being used, Simply because thats the usual reason one mounts a flash...We dont assume people use their 85mm f/1.2Ls as body caps after all

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 28, 2011 17:53 |  #6823

KenjiS wrote in post #13015189 (external link)
We dont assume people use their 85mm f/1.2Ls as body caps after all

But that is brilliant. So if we want to claim to have very high-end gear, we should claim to have $xxx body caps ;)

Or maybe it's the 5Dmk2 that is the cap on the back of the lens, so we just need one body per lens.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Nomofica
509 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 28, 2011 17:57 as a reply to  @ post 6868005 |  #6824

I feel the need to reiterate it because it's apparent it's being ignored to begin with. The topic should have died when I said that it wasn't even on. The presumptuousness of the people whining that my Stofen being attached to an unpowered flash is a "waste" is ridiculous. While I may have been getting frustrated (I do apologize for that), I stand by what I say (that being "get over it").

When I say "most people", it's subjective to my experience with individuals on this website (not just this thread, or this specific forum, but this entire website as a whole) who apparently fail to think with reasoning but instead jump to conclusions without facts.

If you really want to know why it was there in the first place, it's because I was planning to bounce off of an umbrella but decided to continue using a strobe that was already on the stand and, instead of going back to where my bag was and wasting time or placing it in the dirt (I don't have money to spend on new equipment all the time), I just stuck it on top of my camera. In all essence it was an arbitrary decision (why did you stay at hotel A instead of hotel B when they're next to each other?).

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,429 posts
Gallery: 610 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 28, 2011 18:04 as a reply to  @ Nomofica's post |  #6825

Blargh on second thought...

IMAGE: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/scifiguy1012/Photography/7D2818.jpg

Look, my 7D at the dinner table

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

sponsored links (only for non-logged)

2,546,130 views & 1 like for this thread, 1342 members have posted to it and it is followed by 13 members.
Official, show us your camera thread...
FORUMS Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Forums   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset   •  Home

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.