Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Aug 2011 (Sunday) 12:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking out loud...

PeyDay17
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 28, 2011 12:57 |  #1

I just bought my 7d and have really gotten comfortable with it. I really want to upgrade all my lenses except for my 85mm. I really don't want to buy a ton of lenses. I feel it would hinder creativity. 3 to 4 lenses would be ideal for me.

I can't stand variable aperture lenses. It drives me nuts. I love shooting wide apertures and when I lose control of my DOF I'm not too happy. My zooms only come out of my bag when Im shooting close to my daughter or my 85mm isn't long enough.

I mainly shoot my daughter and her crazy antics, family and motocross for fun(not very often). I have a flash that I've gotten pretty comfortable using indoors and out.

I love primes. I love bokeh and the challenge of working in a thin DOF. When you nail it it's amazing. But I'm kind of scared to go the all prime route. Here's what I'm thinking and why I wanted some opinions on this subject.

1. Sell my 18-55mm and fund a EF 28mm 1.8 for my wide prime. I'm concerned with the reviews I've read. It doesn't get the greatest feedback. The sigma 30mm 1.4 is another option but the "lottery" makes me nervous.
2. Sell my 55-250mm in favor of a 135L. Fast focus, aperture of f/2, bokeh king, super sharp and excellent reach. I'd use this lens for motocross and when Rylin is playing outside.
3. Sell my 50mm 1.8 and buy a 50mm 1.4. I want USM's faster focusing, f/1.4 and the better build quality.

Or... Zooms...

1. Replace the 18-55mm with the 17-55mm IS USM. Constant aperture, f/2.8 and versatile.
2. Replace the 55-250mm with a 70-200 2.8 II. This would take awhile although I'm sure the wait is worth the while. This is pretty much on everyone's list as a want, must have or a couldn't live without.
3. Same as above. 50mm 1.4

The prime route would be cheaper so I could have it sooner.

Versatility vs creativity.
Weight (wallet and gear bag)
I think IQ would be close with the lenses I have chosen.

Can you help me sort this mess out?

SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Gear and Feedback

sponsored links
Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 28, 2011 13:13 |  #2

the sigma 30 is a great lens. worst case it front focuses a tiny bit. you micro adjust with your 7D boom tack sharp, or mail it in for free because it will be under warranty if bought new.

the canon 50 1.4 is great but i hear bad things about it being micro-USM rather than the normal ring-type USM. but it does take fantastic photos. i have never used one before but i plan on getting the sigma 50 1.4 to upgrade from my 1.8

and 135L doesnt need any extra words other than amazing. i have never read about anyone being disappointed with a 135L i want one but cant afford $1K

im not a fan of zooms so no comment on those, 70-200 is great and wont disappoint

PeyDay17
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 28, 2011 13:22 as a reply to  @ Brian_R's post |  #3

I used a 50mm 1.4 at the camera store and I loved it. It felt like my 85mm and I love the build of my 85mm. Fast, sharp and excellent IQ.

I have read that the Sigma 30 1.4 has better optics but slower focus than the 28mm. I'll have to sacrifice somewhere I guess.

I am also a prime fan. I feel like they make me think more when composing my shot.

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 28, 2011 16:21 as a reply to  @ PeyDay17's post |  #4

50mm is still quite long indoors so I'm thinking go for the Sigma 30 and play the lottery. You do have MA on your camera which would fix simple front/back focusing issues.

Richard
Gear

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 28, 2011 16:24 |  #5

On a crop sensor camera such as your 7D, the 28/1.8 is a super lens. That lens' weakness is largely that it's a bit soft in the corners, especially at it's largest apertures. Most of that is cropped away using it on a 1.6X camera. It's a very nice, compact, mid-grade lens. Similar to your 85/1.8, except a lot more compact and has a nicer lens hood (bayonet instead of a clip-on).

The 50/1.4 is the third lens in the trilogy - 28, 50 and 85mm - great for crop sensor cameras. Don't worry about the focus breaking too much, other than getting the lens hood and using it, along with some reasonable care.

There are two reasons that seem to be why it's focus fails some of the time:

One is if you override it manually a lot. Simply don't do that. If you want to manually focus it, turn off AF at the switch before doing so. Or just use AF.

The other common cause of failures seem to be hard bumps on the focus ring... If you store it with the lens hood reversed, that protects the focus ring pretty well.

Some folks also seem to think it's a good idea to always set the lens to infinity so that it's barrel is fully retracted. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I'm in the habit of doing that on all my lenses anyway. Can't hurt.

My 50/1.4 was bought used about 7 or 8 years ago, sees a lot of use and is still working just fine. It's always had the hood on it (came with it).

Lensrentals.com published failure reports on the lens a couple years ago. Fully 1 out of 5 or 20% of theirs had to go in for repair in the first year. However, rental lenses are constantly being shipped all around the country and probalby don't get the care you'd give your own lens... Might even be used without hood a lot. So I take their info with a grain of salt. Besides, I'd rather have a lens crap out during the one year warranty period, to get it fixed for free.

The Sigma 30/1.4 certainly seems a good alternative. There are the calibration issues with it, which it might even need to go in to be serviced to correct (might be too much to Micro Adjust). The Sigma is two thirds stop faster than the Canon 28mm. Despite that, I opted for the Canon instead because I also use full frame and film Canon, and the Sigma is a crop only lens. It even vignettes a little on the 1.3X cameras. It also is heavier and larger than the Canon lens, uses a larger filter too. I like that my 28, 50, 85 and some other lenses can share 58mm filters. My other lenses use 72mm and 77mm filters. None share the same size filter as the Sigma. (I also find it odd that the Sigma 50/1.4 needs such a large filter. It's big and heavy, compared to the Canon.)

You will see some subtle differences in your images with either the Canon or Sigma 50/1.4, compared to your 50/1.8. The two f1.4 lenses will give you better saturation and contrast, less flare, and nicer bokeh. It's not a huge difference, the f1.8 is actually pretty good for the money. USM or HSM focus will be faster and quieter, but mainly it's also more reliable and accurate.

Keep in mind that all these lenses tend to work best stopped down a little. The two Siggies are probably the best performers wide open. The 85mm is pretty good too. The 28mm I'd stop down to f2 or 2.2 at least. The same with the Canon 50/1.4. They improve dramatically if you do that.

The 135L is a wonderful lens. I use it for portaits on 5DII and occasionally for sports on 7D. It's a "must have" lens for me, on FF. It's not so critical to me on crop cameras.

Consider the 70-200/2.8 IS "mark I".... It's a fine lens too, that can be had for a whole lot less. The main difference of the Mark II is a bit smoother bokeh, and it take teleconverters much better, especially the 2X III (add another $500 for that, though). It also has 3-4 stop IS, compared to 2-3 stop. I'm still using my "mark I" and have no plans to update anytime soon.

If budget doesn't allow, or you want a more compact lens, the 70-200/4 IS is a superb alternative. Might be plenty fast, particularly if you also have faster primes to compliment it.

Haven't personally used the 17-55/2.8 much (I use a 24-70/2.8 instead), but it has a lot of fans. Seems a great lens.

At best, the zooms are f2.8 lenses.

But if you don't get 17-55, your widest lens will be a 28mm or 30mm "normal". Is that wide enough for you? If not, you are looking at another lens, such as Canon 10-22 or, my favorite and "value pick", Tokina 12-24.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,263 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Aug 28, 2011 21:55 |  #6

PeyDay17 wrote in post #13013980 (external link)
Can you help me sort this mess out?

My choice is the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on a pair of 1.6x cameras. I presently use the 7D and 40D but, previously used the 40D and a 30D.

I travel everywhere with these two lenses and love the combination.

The reason that I did not choose the 70-200mm f/2.8L (series) lens is that I can carry my f/4L IS model AND the extra 1.6x camera at the same weight as the f/2.8L (series) lens ALONE.

I will often throw a 12-24mm f/4 Tokina in my camera vest for the occasions when 17mm is not wide enough. I purchased the 12-24mm Tokina before they introduced their 11-16mm f/2.8 but, would seriously consider that lens if I were in the market for a UWA lens now!

The 12-24mm f/4 Tokina, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS are a trio of lenses which I could use for 95% of my imagery with some sports, long-range wild-life and macro the only exceptions.

BTW: the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS by virtue of its constant f/2.8 aperture, very good IQ wide open and effective Image Stabilization is a very viable low light glass.

Add my 1.4x TC for the 70-200mm f/4L IS and that trio of lenses is even more versatile.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 29, 2011 00:35 |  #7

I'd go for both the sigma variants of the 30 and 50mm, because they're better than the canon offerings in terms of IQ.
The focus issues are way overblown on these forums, and even if you do get a lens with problems, send it in under warranty to get it recalibrated if micro adjust doesn't do the job on your 7D.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

neurorog
114 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 29, 2011 08:26 |  #8

I have the primes you are thinking of getting, and I think you would be very happy with them. Very easy to learn to use, very good quality to price ratio.

7D / 28 1.8 / 50 1.4 / 85 1.8 / 135 2 / 300 4 IS / 1.4x TC

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 29, 2011 08:59 as a reply to  @ neurorog's post |  #9

Primes or zooms is definitely a matter of personal preference and shooting style. If going all primes would work for you then you have chosen some good lenses, though I would probably get the Sigma 30 over the Canon 28. For what I shoot (family and sports) I couldn't go all primes, I need the versatility of zooms. There are some times when foot zooming is not an option for me. Since you currently have some zooms I would make sure that you aren't going to miss that ability. For my shooting, I went with a mix. Once I add an UWA zoom I should be set, or at least I hope. I can vouch for the 70-200 being absolutely worth saving up for, it's an amazingly good lens.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,084 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 29, 2011 09:11 |  #10

lenses for my 7D: 50 f/1.4; 85 f/1.8; 135L; 70-200 f/2.8L IS.

At the time, the 7D was doing double-duty shooting sports (basketball / football) and portrait work. All lenses noted above provided excellent service, covered all my shooting bases and produced great results.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

PeyDay17
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 30, 2011 19:13 as a reply to  @ snyderman's post |  #11

@amfoto1 - Thank you very much for your detailed response! That was great to read. I appreciate it.

Thanks for all other replies as well!

Im thinking the primes will be the way I go for now. I really do love shooting with them.

Later down the road I will add a super wide like the Canon 10-22. And I will take my time saving for a 70-200 2.8 if I feel the 135L is limiting me. Im really excited to have those 4 primes in my bag soon, especially the 135L and 50mm 1.4.

50mm is my favorite focal length on my crop but the nifty stays in my bag because of how slow the focusing is. I love my 85mm because of the focus and feel. I cant wait until I have a bag full of primes with equal build and the performance to match my 85mm.

I need to put some good glass on this 7D ASAP!!!

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 31, 2011 01:13 as a reply to  @ PeyDay17's post |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

As you probably can see in my sig, i have both sigma 30 and 50 and I love them! Both sharp and focus fine. The 30 is perfect for indoor and environment portrait while with the 50 i upgraded from canon 50 1.8 -> Canon 50 1.4 -> sigma and i couldnt be happier. Best decision ever.

Planning to replace my canon 85 1.8 with sigma as well....

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

PeyDay17
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Aug 31, 2011 04:56 |  #13

kin2son wrote in post #13028416 (external link)
As you probably can see in my sig, i have both sigma 30 and 50 and I love them! Both sharp and focus fine. The 30 is perfect for indoor and environment portrait while with the 50 i upgraded from canon 50 1.8 -> Canon 50 1.4 -> sigma and i couldnt be happier. Best decision ever.

Planning to replace my canon 85 1.8 with sigma as well....

I subscribed to both of the Sigma lens threads last night... HAHA!

PeyDay17
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 01, 2011 09:34 as a reply to  @ PeyDay17's post |  #14

Here is another thought...

I just sold my other dirt bike last night. That gives me a nice little cushion. What if I went with a 24L II and waited on the 135L for awhile. So my goal lens set up would be 24L, 85 1.8 and the 135L. Seems to be a decent kit. Good gap between them.

I will say this. I watched a YouTube video that compared the 35L and the sigma 30 and I thought the sigma looked better!!!

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 01, 2011 13:05 |  #15

PeyDay17 wrote in post #13035352 (external link)
Here is another thought...

I just sold my other dirt bike last night. That gives me a nice little cushion. What if I went with a 24L II and waited on the 135L for awhile. So my goal lens set up would be 24L, 85 1.8 and the 135L. Seems to be a decent kit. Good gap between them.

I will say this. I watched a YouTube video that compared the 35L and the sigma 30 and I thought the sigma looked better!!!

The 24L would work well on a crop like the 7D, especially indoors if you have limited space. You wouldn't want to use it though for close-up portraits, you will get some perspective distortion. I'm sure you don't want your daughter looking like she has Mr. Ed's nose! When I was looking in the 30-35mm range I took a look at the Sigma 30 and it is a very good lens, in the center it is pretty much equal to the 35L. What swayed me to the 35L was the corners were sharper than the Sigma and the colors looked a little better to me.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

sponsored links

2,660 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking out loud...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.