Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Aug 2011 (Sunday) 08:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Funny Story About The Wedding Yesterday.

this thread is locked
360°
880 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 28, 2011 08:54 |  #1

So I was shooting a wedding yesterday about half hour out of town. so all went great and i was only hired to be there till 8 pm because at 8 another guy was gonna come and set up a photobooth and take photos of the guests.

so photobooth guy comes at like 630. sets up a blue curtain and a 50D (with his popup flash up) on a tripod.
he connected his camera to his computer and then connected to one of those little printers.

so around 730 im walking by and he says:
"hey buddy, do you have an iphone"
I say "yeah, why"
he says "can i use it to tether to my computer, i have to download some drivers"
i look at my phone and say "sorry, but i have no service in this area"
he asks "do you know where the nearest bestbuy is, i really need drivers"
i tell him "yeah its about 45 min in that direction"

he quickly gets up and bolts. and was late coming back

lol it was just hilarious(to me) how unprofessional this guy was. i cant believe he was on a job without the drivers on his computer to do the job.

i guess those who cant shoot weddings, shoot photobooths at weddings..... or they pretend to

List Of Gear:Canon 5D Mark III---1D Mark III---Canon 5D Mark II---Canon 85 F1.2--Canon 100mm f2.8 macro---Canon 24-70 F2.8--- Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS II---Canon 300mm F2.8---Bunch of pocketwizards

sponsored links
ootsk
Goldmember
1,154 posts
Joined Jan 2002

Aug 28, 2011 10:12 |  #2

Stuff happens. It's good to have backups, but you cant always have EVERYTHING backed up. He was an hour and a half early, so he seems to take his job seriously. I wonder what went wrong, in this case.

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Aug 28, 2011 10:36 |  #3

I can't believe there was another photographer who needed help and you wouldn't help him. karma runs very deep with photographers...

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

alann
Goldmember
2,618 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 28, 2011 10:44 |  #4

I don't think it's funny, I think it's sad. No matter how professional you are something can always go wrong. I would have done anything I could to help the guy and if I could not I certainly would not make fun of him.

My FLickrPage (external link)

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 28, 2011 15:28 |  #5

LBaldwin wrote in post #13013445 (external link)
I can't believe there was another photographer who needed help and you wouldn't help him. karma runs very deep with photographers...

No kidding, last January I was hired by the host of a local radio program to video her broadcasting from a live remote of the swearing in of a U.S. Congressman, while setting up I was working with the producer of the program to grab audio off of his board when he discovered while the location had a wireless Internet connection as promised no one at the venue had the password to login into the system leaving him with no Internet access which was a major problem as the host of the program needed to connect her laptop to the Net to coordinate back with the studio to pull copy and to take questions from listeners, tweet etc. The producer was about to have a full breakdown knowing without the pre-arranged and promised to be working Internet connection things where not going to go smoothly at all.

Realizing the jam he was in I offered to let him tether off my Mi-Fi and literally minutes before going live we where able to get his and her laptops connected to the Net, needless to say the host who hired me was impressed and her producer was quite thankful.

As for karma a few days after the production I received a call from the producer asking me what I paid for my Mi-Fi service, I figured he was going to get a device for his future use but not so, it turned out he wanted to know the amount so the station could sent me a check to cover my wireless bill for that month.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

palaima
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Aug 28, 2011 16:06 as a reply to  @ Channel One's post |  #6

^ good things happen to good people :)

http://500px.com/ppala​ima (external link)

LONDON808
872 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 28, 2011 16:44 |  #7

ever had a camera lock up - a battery die or a memory card go bad - Happens with printer drivers as well

View My Flickr (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 28, 2011 16:57 |  #8

The dude learned a valuable lesson about preparation and rehearsal.
We all learn that lesson, most of us learn it the hard way.

I don't see the point of posting your ridicule here.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 28, 2011 18:09 |  #9

360° wrote in post #13013079 (external link)
"hey buddy, do you have an iphone"
I say "yeah, why"
he says "can i use it to tether to my computer, i have to download some drivers"
i look at my phone and say "sorry, but i have no service in this area"

Might I ask a question? Did you really not have service there?

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

Cebu
111 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 28, 2011 18:36 as a reply to  @ Channel One's post |  #10

so photobooth guy comes at like 630. sets up a blue curtain and a 50D (with his popup flash up) on a tripod

And you show signs of being a gear snob too. Very sad.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 28, 2011 19:40 |  #11

Hmm, the OP is taking a lot of heat on this. If in fact the OP had no phone service, well, he did nothing wrong by not giving up his phone. Now, if there was internet service provided by the venue that the OP had access to, they could have worked out a way of downloading and transferring the drivers. But, that bit of info was not part of the story. And yet, everyone is jumping all over the OP as if he had refused to help when he could of...?

Some of you guys should look at the actual story. If you can't find something that the OP did that was "bad karma" then, well, look at your own critical posts and you may be rewarded in your search. If it was me I'd be deleting the dang things!

Of course if I'm missing something here, if you can in fact point to one (or more) things the OP did (or failed to do) that earned the "bad karma" badge, well, enlighten me:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

360°
THREAD ­ STARTER
880 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 28, 2011 20:48 |  #12

did you guys miss the part about how i didnt have service on my phone?

List Of Gear:Canon 5D Mark III---1D Mark III---Canon 5D Mark II---Canon 85 F1.2--Canon 100mm f2.8 macro---Canon 24-70 F2.8--- Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS II---Canon 300mm F2.8---Bunch of pocketwizards

360°
THREAD ­ STARTER
880 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 28, 2011 20:51 |  #13

LONDON808 wrote in post #13014853 (external link)
ever had a camera lock up - a battery die or a memory card go bad - Happens with printer drivers as well

yeah i've had a camera lock up and a battery die. thats why i always take 3 cameras and about 10 batteries. its the whole point of being a professional.

this guy just struck me as a joke. extremely unprofessional and unprepared.

maybe you guys dont think this is weird of funny, but i pride myself with always being prepared for the worst and i would never let anything like that happen to me. especially infront of a paying client

360°
THREAD ­ STARTER
880 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 28, 2011 20:53 |  #14

Cebu wrote in post #13015425 (external link)
so photobooth guy comes at like 630. sets up a blue curtain and a 50D (with his popup flash up) on a tripod

And you show signs of being a gear snob too. Very sad.

how am i a gear snob? my point is you cant produce a professional looking image with a popup flash.

twomill
45 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 28, 2011 21:41 |  #15

360° wrote in post #13016062 (external link)
how am i a gear snob? my point is you cant produce a professional looking image with a popup flash.

If you have the talent and skills you can. I guess you don't know about that.

http://flickr.com/jtop​pa (external link)

sponsored links

3,789 views & 0 likes for this thread
Funny Story About The Wedding Yesterday.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.