Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Aug 2011 (Saturday) 05:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon AE1

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Aug 27, 2011 20:29 |  #16

benesotor wrote in post #13010340 (external link)
At 18 I'm by no means a nostalgic old man revisiting simpler days... but I'm using my 7D less and less, and using my Canon AV-1 more and more (very similar to your AE-1)

I find the whole experience more enjoyable and more gratifying, and I like the look of film much more. I'm coming very close to actually just selling my 7D and lenses and shooting exclusively on film. The video is the only thing stopping me right now.

I'm not a purist wannabe snob, digital has Its place and for many its the superior tool... but I just don't get the same pleasure shooting with my 7D, so it feels like a lot of money not being loved. I hoped I'd get the same satisfaction from a full-frame DSLR, but after using a 5D Mark2 I still wasn't loving it.

I tip my hat at you, but don't sell your 7D.

Shooting film is an entire different ball game. It slows you down and you think about every shot carefully.

I started in SLR photography in the 1970s, processed my own B/W and it's a very satisfying thing.

I've been toying with the idea of going back to 4x5 B/W photography just for the heck of it.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

sponsored links
benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 28, 2011 15:20 |  #17

sharrowm wrote in post #13010680 (external link)
lol, shoot film for about 30 years and I bet you'll feel different about getting rid of your digital stuff. :)

Film does offer a different look, but I don't miss it. Well, maybe a little ;)

Well I'll make sure I always have a digital camera of sorts. It certainly has it's place, I just feel very concious that there's £1000 worth of camera sat in my bag, for travelling I don't think I can even justify the weight of the 7D. Maybe I'll sell it and return to a full-frame DSLR when I come home!

MrChad
Goldmember
2,815 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Aug 28, 2011 18:32 as a reply to  @ benesotor's post |  #18

I shoot an AE-1 regularly with slide film, though it seems weekly that more and more versions are being discontinued.

If you have an AE-1 and not an AE-1 Program I can give some tips on making it work.

You can test the battery by pushing the top round black button just left of the prism. If you look through the view finder the match needle should match with a slight line right around f5.6 or so I believe that tells you the battery is charged. The needle should be directly horizontal for a charged battery in the finder.

If you are flashing a red M you might have the wrong exposure too. Set the lens aperture ring to "A" and set the shutter to 1/60. If you are outside in daylight regardless of film speed the camera should be able to read a proper exposure without a flashing red dot. The film speed is also set via lifting up and turning the dial for the shutter speed.

With the shutter speed set the match needle (via the view finder) should report the lens aperture when set to "A" on the lens aperture ring.

The hardest part about using this camera is focusing most days.

I kaNt sPeL...
[Gear List]

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Aug 28, 2011 20:48 |  #19

Got my AE-1 in the early 70's. Still have it but have not used it since I got a Sony digital that took floppy disk. (it is also collecting dust).

But I do wish I still had my darkroom.

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 28, 2011 20:52 |  #20

I miss my AE-1 .. damn good camera.

sharrowm
682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 28, 2011 21:08 |  #21

lauderdalems wrote in post #13016038 (external link)
Got my AE-1 in the early 70's. Still have it but have not used it since I got a Sony digital that took floppy disk. (it is also collecting dust).

But I do wish I still had my darkroom.

I still have my darkroom. Unfortunately, all of the darkroom equipment is in my attic collecting dust :cry:

Marc

5D Mark II | 7D |17-40L | 24-105L IS| 70-200L 4.0 IS | 50 1.8 | 100mm macro|100-400L | 580EX
It never looks the same on the wall as it does in the paint can

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,066 posts
Joined May 2003

Aug 28, 2011 21:18 as a reply to  @ sharrowm's post |  #22

There is a manual at http://web.mit.edu …lic/Canon_AE-1_Manual.pdf (external link).

John from PA

rxjohn
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 28, 2011 21:21 |  #23

sharrowm wrote in post #13016129 (external link)
I still have my darkroom. Unfortunately, all of the darkroom equipment is in my attic collecting dust :cry:

Developed 2 rolls of 6X6 last night. Printed about 10 sheets.. black and white photo looks different from film.

rxjohn
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 28, 2011 21:25 |  #24

yogestee wrote in post #13011095 (external link)
I've been toying with the idea of going back to 4x5 B/W photography just for the heck of it.

Don't give me any more ideas..

sharrowm
682 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 28, 2011 21:55 |  #25

rxjohn wrote in post #13016201 (external link)
Developed 2 rolls of 6X6 last night. Printed about 10 sheets.. black and white photo looks different from film.

I did a lot of color darkroom processing over the years, both negatives and slides, but B&W was always more fun and I do miss it. It's probably the only reason I still have my darkroom equipment. Maybe someday I will get nostalgic and dust it off. Hopefully I will still be able to buy paper and chemicals :)

Marc

5D Mark II | 7D |17-40L | 24-105L IS| 70-200L 4.0 IS | 50 1.8 | 100mm macro|100-400L | 580EX

rxjohn
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 28, 2011 22:03 |  #26

sharrowm wrote in post #13016373 (external link)
I did a lot of color darkroom processing over the years, both negatives and slides, but B&W was always more fun and I do miss it. It's probably the only reason I still have my darkroom equipment. Maybe someday I will get nostalgic and dust it off. Hopefully I will still be able to buy paper and chemicals :)

What are you waiting for?

Actually, as I was mixing the stock solutions, I questioned myself. What the heck am I doing??? So much easier to go out and shoot a several hundred shots with my DSLR...

Here I am trying to develop 24 frames 6x6 I have no idea how it came out..

Probably spent 3 to 4 hours messing around...cooling the solutions down to 68 degrees...messing around with the enlarger...

But once the image showed up on 8x10 glossy paper in the fixer, there's nothing like the satisfaction and admiration of your own work.

So I stripped the leatherette off my Hassy. Will be replacing it soon...thought about going with some exotic leather.. or off the wall bright color.. but decided to stick with the stock black leatherette.

sharrowm
682 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 28, 2011 23:41 |  #27

rxjohn wrote in post #13016420 (external link)
What are you waiting for?

Actually, as I was mixing the stock solutions, I questioned myself. What the heck am I doing??? So much easier to go out and shoot a several hundred shots with my DSLR...

Here I am trying to develop 24 frames 6x6 I have no idea how it came out..

Probably spent 3 to 4 hours messing around...cooling the solutions down to 68 degrees...messing around with the enlarger...

But once the image showed up on 8x10 glossy paper in the fixer, there's nothing like the satisfaction and admiration of your own work.

So I stripped the leatherette off my Hassy. Will be replacing it soon...thought about going with some exotic leather.. or off the wall bright color.. but decided to stick with the stock black leatherette.

Very nice. Keep the torch lit my good man! :cool:

Marc

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Aug 28, 2011 23:46 |  #28

I see someone posted a link to a manual... Here's another one, just in case:

http://www.butkus.org/​chinon/canon.htm (external link)

Also be sure if the camera is AE-1 or AE-1 Program. They are some differences and have different manuals.

A common problem with AE-1 (and all the Canon of that era) is a "shutter squeak"... An ugly noise each time you fire the shutter. It's actually not the shutter at all, but another part of the mechanism that needs a drop of oil after sitting for a long time. It's possible to have just this minor fix done, or it can be done as a complete Clean Lube Adjust (CLA) by any experienced camera tech, though that will certainly cost more. The camera might also need new light seals. Still, the camera should be good to go for another 25-30 years or so after these minor services.

The easiest films to get scanned are color print and C41 processed black and white. Often you can simply have scans done at the same time you are getting the film processed. Those aren't as high quality as when you do it yourself or have a pro lab do the scans, though. When I'm doing scans myself, I prefer to use color slide films, but they are harder to get processed now.

Have fun with the camera. There are lots of great old FD/FL lenses available relatively cheapely, too, if you need or want some additional.

Anyone recovering their cameras might want to look at www.cameraleather.com (external link) for some ideas! Hey! Why not have a little fun with it? There are some things you have to be careful about, putting new skins on the camera... But it's not a hard job.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 29, 2011 06:25 |  #29

amfoto1 wrote in post #13016899 (external link)
The easiest films to get scanned are color print and C41 processed black and white. Often you can simply have scans done at the same time you are getting the film processed. Those aren't as high quality as when you do it yourself or have a pro lab do the scans, though. When I'm doing scans myself, I prefer to use color slide films, but they are harder to get processed now.

On the plus side, E-6 slide films are pretty easy to process yourself. I used to buy all my Kodak film in 200 foot rolls and load up my own cassettes, then process it when I got home, not quite as instant as digital but at least I could see my results the same day. It was also a lot cheaper that way. Of course, the Kodak film wasn't always what I wanted to use and the Fuji came ready loaded and process paid, so that just got stuffed into the envelopes and sent off. Cost more that way though.

amfoto1 wrote in post #13016899 (external link)
Have fun with the camera. There are lots of great old FD/FL lenses available relatively cheapely, too, if you need or want some additional.

Yeah, tell me about it. I have 8 or 9 old FD lenses gathering dust (metaphorically) which aren't worth enough for me to justify selling them.

One day I will break out the old A-1, AE-1 and T-70 (I never did manage to afford a T-90, although I got to use one a few times) and give film another whirl. Although it will be a relatively costly experience, particularly without my darkroom, compared to shooting digital. Still, the threads that pop up like this one always get me hankering to reacquaint myself with some old friends. Ones that I shared some great adventures with, for over 20 years, and don't deserve to lie dormant in a couple of old aluminium cases.

rxjohn
Goldmember
1,072 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Aug 29, 2011 07:23 |  #30

sandpiper wrote in post #13017723 (external link)
Yeah, tell me about it. I have 8 or 9 old FD lenses gathering dust (metaphorically) which aren't worth enough for me to justify selling them.

One day I will break out the old A-1, AE-1 and T-70 (I never did manage to afford a T-90, although I got to use one a few times) and give film another whirl. Although it will be a relatively costly experience, particularly without my darkroom, compared to shooting digital. Still, the threads that pop up like this one always get me hankering to reacquaint myself with some old friends. Ones that I shared some great adventures with, for over 20 years, and don't deserve to lie dormant in a couple of old aluminium cases.

It's not all lost. You can use an adapter (without glass) on Micro 4/3 camera and put your FD lenses back to work.

sponsored links

6,077 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon AE1
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.