Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Aug 2011 (Saturday) 14:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why is BH closed on Saturday?

this thread is locked
jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 28, 2011 13:45 |  #46

BLD_007 wrote in post #13009653 (external link)
I wonder how much business they lose because of their different hours. Granted, I have given BH $12k+ lol.

Very little. BH and Adorama have excelled in my eyes. The best of the best.

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,754 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Aug 28, 2011 13:45 as a reply to  @ post 13014151 |  #47

We all have choices. If someone doesn't like the hours a company keeps they certainly can choose not to do business there. I personally admire any company that would put their traditions above profit. Don't like it that they're closed on any certain day, don't buy from them but ****'n about it is just silly.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 28, 2011 13:49 |  #48

airfrogusmc wrote in post #13014183 (external link)
... any company that would put their traditions above profit ...

I spent years in the Silicon Valley contracting as an engineer with fortune 500 companies as well as many start-ups and smaller firms. No one in the valley puts tradition before profit. No one. The bigger entities do have a outstanding tradition of taking care of their employees (HP, Intel, KLA, Acuson, etc) but no one turns down a sale due to personal traditions.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,550 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 28, 2011 13:53 |  #49

jetcode wrote in post #13014209 (external link)
........no one turns done a sale due to personal traditions.

Although, of course, Intel, Cisco, HP, Google and many others have factories and R&D teams in Israel, which are closed on Saturdays and the Jewish holidays (but open December 25th....)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 28, 2011 13:59 |  #50

HelenOster wrote in post #13014220 (external link)
Although, of course, Intel, Cisco, HP, Google and many others have factories and R&D teams in Israel, which are closed on Saturdays and the Jewish holidays (but open December 25th....)

True and employed workers here observe national holidays ... well except contractors like me who take most of the week off and work on weekends or will work every day straight in a crunch ... I could use a different tradition!

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 28, 2011 15:06 |  #51

This forum is amazing for informing members. I lived in NYC growing up so I know the Jewish holidays are observed. I actually plan my NYC trips around the closings. :) If I want to get gear, I make sure B&H or Adorama are open. You can always check before going. But really, it's cheaper just to order on line from them, as truthfully, I spend more when I'm there. :)

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 28, 2011 16:53 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #52

What I don't understand is why I cant just place my online order into a queue and have it fulfilled whenever they reopen.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 28, 2011 18:02 |  #53

Chippy569 wrote in post #13014894 (external link)
What I don't understand is why I cant just place my online order into a queue and have it fulfilled whenever they reopen.

I believe Helen said that Adorama takes that approach, whereas B&H does not. If you bothered to look into the different approaches/philosophie​s in how people deal with their religious obligations, you would see those differences explained. But this is a photography forum. In this case you will just need to accept that people do what they do for their own reasons. When it comes to religious matters, this is not the place to ask for/look for "answers".

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 28, 2011 18:18 as a reply to  @ post 13014173 |  #54

HelenOster wrote in post #13012424 (external link)
No, not really coincidence - http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=hKxGbNXt_Is (external link)

wow!!! Thanks for the link Helen :D

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 28, 2011 22:02 as a reply to  @ monk3y's post |  #55

Thank you for sharing, Helen. And thank you Mr Leitz.

Richard
Gear

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,328 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 28, 2011 22:13 |  #56

Thank you Helen. I had never heard of this. Wonderful thing!

6D, 5D, 7Dii, Eos R and too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 28, 2011 22:14 |  #57

tonylong wrote in post #13015284 (external link)
I believe Helen said that Adorama takes that approach, whereas B&H does not. If you bothered to look into the different approaches/philosophie​s in how people deal with their religious obligations, you would see those differences explained. But this is a photography forum. In this case you will just need to accept that people do what they do for their own reasons. When it comes to religious matters, this is not the place to ask for/look for "answers".

While true, no one has to do anything for an online order, it's all automated computer system until it hits the warehouse. That's why I don't understand the no order placing.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,490 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 28, 2011 22:24 |  #58

Chippy569 wrote in post #13016477 (external link)
While true, no one has to do anything for an online order, it's all automated computer system until it hits the warehouse. That's why I don't understand the no order placing.

I believe that they'd consider that to be violating the spirit of the commandment and the man upstairs might not approve. No commerce on the sabbath doesn't mean "buy a computer to do business on your behalf".

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,932 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 28, 2011 23:16 |  #59

HelenOster wrote in post #13012424 (external link)
No, not really coincidence - http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=hKxGbNXt_Is (external link)

Thank you for sharing that link, all I can say is wow. Makes me want to buy a Leica.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Aug 28, 2011 23:45 as a reply to  @ D Thompson's post |  #60

Why do you question their business practices? I think they are great. If you don't then go somewhere else

Richard
Gear

sponsored links

21,586 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why is BH closed on Saturday?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.