Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 30 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 17:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would you like to see improved on the 5d Mk3?

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,691 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jun 09, 2011 05:52 |  #61

cfnz wrote in post #12562304 (external link)
I don't seem to have that problem. Do you really need Canon to come up with a solution?

Canon used to use a lock button on the mode wheel.

My old Elan has one. However, there were a lot of ham-fisted people who would somehow forget about the button and twist the wheel hard enough to break it. The biggest point to watch for when buying a used Elan was to make sure the lock button wasn't broken--that was the very common fault of used Elans.

If it's not there, it can't be broken. If it is there, some people will break it.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

sponsored links
kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 09, 2011 06:38 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #62

400dabuser wrote in post #12562269 (external link)
I keep knocking into another mode though

Yeah the lock button would not be too bad. I usually switch modes by accident when putting the camera in the bag. :/

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

Vermin87
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 09, 2011 14:37 |  #63

400dabuser wrote in post #12561889 (external link)
That button on the mode wheel that the 60D has

You can have the modification done to your mode dial if you have a 7D or 5D II. I had mine modified and it's definitely worth it. I've missed many shots because my camera got accidently bumped into bulb or a custom setting while hanging from my black rapid. Now, however, I never have to worry about it being in the wrong mode! I love it and I think all the Canon cameras should have it. It's not very difficult to push the button down and turn the knob. It won't slow you down any, so the only downside is getting used to a new system.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 09, 2011 14:57 |  #64

Vermin87 wrote in post #12564965 (external link)
I've missed many shots because my camera got accidentally bumped into bulb or a custom setting while hanging from my black rapid.

What in the world do you guys do with your cameras that this dial gets "accidentally bumped" into the wrong position? It has never happened to me and, given the position (and stiffness) of that dial, I can't even conceive of how it gets "accidentally bumped" into the wrong position unless you are swinging the camera around by the dial!! :confused:

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jun 09, 2011 15:59 |  #65

hairy_moth wrote in post #12565076 (external link)
What in the world do you guys do with your cameras that this dial gets "accidentally bumped" into the wrong position? It has never happened to me and, given the position (and stiffness) of that dial, I can't even conceive of how it gets "accidentally bumped" into the wrong position unless you are swinging the camera around by the dial!! :confused:

Well other brands have locking dials. And Canon has recently added a locking dial and even offered to modify certain existing models to have a locking dial for $100 so it must be something desired.

On the 1-series, you need to hold down 2 buttons at the same time in order to change the camera mode. They've been like that for a long time.

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 09, 2011 16:27 |  #66

On my old 30D the mode dial was much more stiffer, it would not move so easily. The 5Dii mode dial moves much easier. Like sliding the camera in the bag can accidentally move the dial, does not take too much to move it. :/

Oskar (Oscar) - stuff I use- Flickr (external link) - My Facebook page (external link) :)

Vermin87
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 09, 2011 17:05 |  #67

My camera hangs off my black rapid strap right around my right upper thigh. When I'm walking around at a wedding, the camera sways a little and the knob is rubbing up against my leg constantly. It's very easy for it to get switched to a different mode.

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 09, 2011 20:06 |  #68

LOL.. I believe it is a real issues.. enough people are mentioning it. Maybe it's worse on the 5D than the 7D.

I just tried to rub my camera against my thigh to see if I could turn the dial.. I could, but I had to really try. :)

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

taxsux
392 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 15, 2011 21:03 |  #69

Definitely the AF. And wouldn't mind speedlite controls like the D700 :-)

bengtenyman
107 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Aug 28, 2011 09:42 |  #70

It's time to get rid of the mirror.
Press the shutter release half way:
Open the shutter, focus using the image sensor, measure the light using the image sensor, close the shutter. Based on the light measurement the camera processor calculates 3 suitable sequential exposures. For example: 1/100, 1/333 and 1/1000.
Press the shutter release all the way:
The camera executes the 3 calculated sequential exposures 1/100, 1/333 and 1/1000.
By menu selection the camera can now save the three exposures separately or the processor can produce and save an optimized in-camera HDR image.
Maybe you should combine this with an electronic view finder, or better yet, an eyepiece view finder.

kokakaste2
Goldmember
3,546 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 28, 2011 10:01 |  #71

bengtenyman wrote in post #13013258 (external link)
Open the shutter, focus using the image sensor, measure the light using the image sensor, close the shutter. Based on the light measurement the camera processor calculates 3 suitable sequential exposures. For example: 1/100, 1/333 and 1/1000.
The camera executes the 3 calculated sequential exposures 1/100, 1/333 and 1/1000.
By menu selection the camera can now save the three exposures separately or the processor can produce and save an optimized in-camera HDR image.
Maybe you should combine this with an electronic view finder, or better yet, an eyepiece view finder.

Why? :rolleyes:

Vermin87
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Aug 28, 2011 23:58 |  #72

You do realize getting rid of the mirror would necessitate the addition of an electronic viewfinder, correct? Either that or it is no longer an SLR and will have issues with parallax.

bengtenyman wrote in post #13013258 (external link)

Gear
Flickr (external link)
Website (external link)

SkateSoft
383 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 29, 2011 02:20 |  #73

Be less than one hundred bucks. Only way I'd be able to afford it.

Gear- 550d, KONICA Auto S2, Pentak ZX-50, 18-55, 55-250, YN-560
http://www.dylanredfie​ldphotography.com (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,691 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Aug 29, 2011 06:23 |  #74

Open the shutter, focus using the image sensor, measure the light using the image sensor, close the shutter.

How would this work at 3+ frames per second with predictive focus without at least a partial mirror?

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,226 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 29, 2011 07:28 |  #75

RDKirk wrote in post #13017718 (external link)
How would this work at 3+ frames per second with predictive focus without at least a partial mirror?

very very fast image processing. I don't think we are there yet.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

47,284 views & 0 likes for this thread
What would you like to see improved on the 5d Mk3?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.