Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Aug 2011 (Sunday) 19:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 3 Workflow

BigKahunaBurger
111 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 28, 2011 19:36 |  #1

Just want to make sure I'm doing this right..

I plug the T2i into the PC and extract RAW photos off of memory card using ZoomBrowserEX. I then import photos into LR3 and then make adjustments. I then export and save photos as JPEG to desktop and do as I wish with the photos. Does this sound right?

Also when saving to desktop if I did any cropping I save as the original RAW size which I think is 5100x3000 something. There is a spot for resolution that by default is 240. If I ever print a picture what should that be 300 or higher?

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 28, 2011 22:27 |  #2

Hmm, you have some stuff in there that sounds, well, extra and maybe will lead to hassles as you go.

First of all, ZoomBrowser may not be needed at all. I'm don't know that Lightroom can these days "read" from a camera, although it can now do tethered shooting with most recent cameras. It would be worth finding out, maybe someone here knows and can chip in.

For me, I've been using a card reader for a long time -- they are high speed and also have less "stuff" to deal with in the way of special drivers and interfaces. So I use Lightroom to import, create and name my folders, and name and save my files. Then I can just use the camera to Format and I'm done.

And then, the next thing you mention is exporting jpegs onto your desktop. Well, wow, that would make a cluttered desktop! I only export files out of LR that I want to use, either for the Web, an outside printer, or for some type of "sharing". When I export for the Web, the jpegs go into a folder on an external hard drive with a structure set up for PBase (my Web host), and then off they go. For printing, they'd go into another folder (large files for the printer). For other things, whatever. But on the desktop? I can't imagine the clutter:)!

Now something I'm confused about -- are you saving a copy of your original Raw file? When you say you do this after cropping, well, a Raw file doesn't get saved "cropped", as long as you are referring to a CR2 file. If you mean you are saving/exporting an image file after cropping, so that you can print it or edit it in an external editor, well OK, but that wouldn't be a Raw file it would be either a tiff or psd for editing or a jpeg for printing or whatever. So, you'll need to be more specific about what you are doing!

And, I personally avoid making any Export/conversion "copies" of an image unless I'm done with the Raw processing and I'm ready to put it out on the Web or print it of need to use an external editor. Lightroom is capable of so much that really I don't need to bog thing down with "extra stuff".

As far as making a copy of something "after cropping" I'm not sure what you are getting at there. Lightroom has a cool capability called "Virtual Copy" where you can right-click on an image (or multiple selected images) and when you choose to Create a Vitual Copy it creates a new "version" of that image in "memory", not as a file on your hard drive. You can then take each version of the image and go in totally different directions with it. And, you can export both the original version and the virtual version at the same time, and LR will give them each their own name and save them.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 29, 2011 00:34 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #3

Plug in your T2i and Lightroom will import your pictures directly from the camera. (This involves copying the RAW files to your hard drive and then adding those images to the Lightroom catalog).

If you are doing something "typical" with your photos (i.e. printing, emailing, or posting on Facebook, Smugmug, etc.) you can, with the aid of Lightroom Plug-Ins, handle the whole job without leaving Lightroom or storing extra copies of your photos.

Do you have plans to use a specific gallery, like Flikr? If so, we can help you get set up so that you just drag photos into your Lightroom Flikr Collection and they automatically get resized, sharpened, and published stratight to Flikr.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 29, 2011 00:47 |  #4

BigKahunaBurger wrote in post #13015688 (external link)

Also when saving to desktop... I save as... 5100x3000 something. There is a spot for resolution that by default is 240. If I ever print a picture what should that be 300 or higher?

When saving an image for display on a web site, figure out how many pixels are required to show the image at the size you intend. (Typical internet image sizes are 640 x 480 up to about 1024 x 768, or close to those numbers if you've cropped to a different ratio.) These size images will show on most monitors without scrolling or resizing. (Pixels per inch aren't a relevant number in this case because images show up with different dimensions on different size monitors.)

When printing, 240 or 300 dot per inch is usually recommended and the math is pretty simple. For a 10x10 print at 240 dpi, just resize your image to 2,400 x 2,400 pixels. Lightroom will calculate that for you if you enter the dimensions in inches and then type either 240 or 300 in the dpi entry box. (It's way easier to print straight from Lightroom and let it compute everything and send it to your printer in one step.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

TijmenDal
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Aug 29, 2011 04:07 |  #5

I haven't read the thread, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to give an extra opinion on workflow. By all means, I'm no pro, and they probably do it very differently, but this is how I do it:
- Connect CF, through card-reader, to the computer
- Lightroom prompts me what I wanna do
- Create a new folder(s) for the event(s)
- Import photo's in corresponding folders, making them organized (sort of). I don't assign names to the photo's. I only do this after I processed them
- Assign keywords (I don't do this, but I always plan to... :P )
- Now my photo's are in LR.
- Make color adjustments, etc. blablabla
- Export to CS5, do some more editing
- Export through CS5 to the folder it originally came from, but in a subfolder called 'Developed'.

So for example the folder 'Spain 2011' would look like this:
"Developed" - this is the subfolder with all the processed pics in it
IMG-1
IMG-2
IMG... - etc

As I do this write-up I notice I actually never import the photo's back from CS5 to LR. I really should start doing that!

//Tijmen
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tijmendalexternal link

Gear

EOSAddict
Book Committee Immortal
6,091 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 29, 2011 04:43 |  #6

Had a quick read above an agree with tony. To use LR most effectively you need to get the images into LR as quickly as possible, and manage them from within LR for as long as possible in your workflow.

FWIW, here is my Workflow....

Backup to Readynas and Ext HDD using SyncBack

Use LR to:

Import images from memory card (via reader) into a folder called unprocessed pics. During import tag the images with a series of workflow keywords for use later and add all my personal metadata.

Using a series of predefined smart collections that filter on the workflow tags do the following:

Step 1 - Sort - weed out the dross
Step 2 - Rename - rename images sequentially
Step 3 - Move - move from 'unprocessed pics' folder to image folders in batches of 200 images
Step 4 - Develop - process in Develop module as necessary
Step 5 - Tag - keyword into my LR keyword system (more detail separately if required!)
Step 6 - Geoencode - Geoencode all imges using either geologs or google earth using Jfriedl's geoencoding plugin
Step 7 - Photosafe - add to jfriedl's PhotoSafe publish service (avoids accidental deletion)
Step 8 - Upload - to both smugmug and zenfolio in same image heriarchy/folder structure as Step 3

That's it for Light room

Step 9 - backup images to 2x Ext HDDs and ReadYNAS

Step 10 - create virtual galleries as required on smugmug and zenfolio

(Note Steps 8 and 10 are WAY WAY behind schedule!)

Al
My Gear, My Website: www.endofthetrailphoto​graphy.com (external link)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 29, 2011 06:41 |  #7

Seems you need to read up on Lightroom - I suspect that you do not understand what Lightroom is for and how it works - I was in the same boat not too long ago. Buy Scott Kelby's Book, study it (it's an easy read) and you will get so much more out of Lightroom - seriously!

BigKahunaBurger
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 29, 2011 07:08 as a reply to  @ 5Dmaniac's post |  #8

Thanks for the reply's.

Yesterday was the first day with the new camera and Lightroom 3 and have learned a lot since in a short time.

When I first hook the camera to PC(I have no card reader yet) nothing comes up. I figured I needed to open something and get this going. I have a G3 and used ZoomBrowser so I went that root.

I would like L3 to take care of everything so should L3 automatically do this when camera is plugged in or do I just open L3 and start reading?

Thanks for the recommendation on the book will check it out. I have a lot of reading to do.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 29, 2011 11:59 |  #9

After you plug the camera in, open Lightroom and then Import -- there is a File/Import menu item, a Ctl-Shift-I shortcut, or in the Library module you click Import at the lower left. As long as your camera/compter drivers/software are "behaving" the camera should show up in the left panel as a source. You then can fill in details (Folder destination, file naming, etc) in the right-side panel.

You owe it to yourself to take the time and read up on this. The fact that Lightroom has a nice interface doesn't mean that it's simple to jump in ignorant of "how it works" -- people mess up all the time that way.

Order the Kelby book and in the meantime delve into reading Lightroom Help! Getting there through the Menu/F1 is quick and Help is very well put together. Also, you can download a pdf version which can be handy to just plop on your dexktop for quick and easy access (Google "lightroom 3 help pdf").

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

BigKahunaBurger
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Aug 29, 2011 12:16 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #10

Will do..Thanks

NormanRC51
451 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 29, 2011 17:10 |  #11

Check out the workflow in www.slrlounge.com (external link) Great info on there and lots of great processing tutorials.

Canon 7D - Gripped 40D - Canon 50 1.8 MK1 - Tamron 18-270 - Tamron 1.4x TC - Sigma 18-50 2.8 - Sigma 70-200 2.8 - Pair of AlienBee B1600s - 580EX - 3-540ez - RF-602
My FlickR (external link)

kiapolo
871 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 29, 2011 19:25 |  #12

NormanRC51 wrote in post #13020575 (external link)
Check out the workflow in www.slrlounge.com (external link) Great info on there and lots of great processing tutorials.

+1 on SLRLounge.com. Really helped with my workflow in LR3.

| kiapolo.com (external link) (blog) | Gear List | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) | 2012 Project 366 (external link) |

sponsored links

2,256 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 3 Workflow
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.