Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 27 Aug 2011 (Saturday) 10:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommend me an over the shoulder sling bag please

ridindirty
260 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 27, 2011 10:45 |  #1

Hello, I don't mean these large, obnoxious slings I see most places. I want something like a Lowepro Passport Sling LINK HERE (external link). However, I want it to fit a 1d.

So a satchel/sling type bag that carries on your side and doesn't scream HEY THIS IS A CAMERA IN HERE, is somewhat easy to get the camera in and fits a 1d with a lens on.

Probably doesnt exist, but its worth a try! :lol:

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Aug 27, 2011 10:56 |  #2

Dont have a recommendation for you, but I did want to say that every time I have tried owning a sling type of bag, once Ive got gear in it I cant carry it too long before my shoulder or neck start to hurt. Have you tried this style, loaded and for a length of time? For me backpacks are the only way to go.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

montroyal
220 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 27, 2011 10:58 |  #3

Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home Camera Bag ;)

the 7 million if you have plenty of lenses

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 24-70 2.8L, Canon 70-200 4L IS, Canon 17-40 4L, flash Canon 430EX II

ridindirty
THREAD ­ STARTER
260 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 27, 2011 11:19 |  #4

montroyal wrote in post #13008724 (external link)
Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home Camera Bag ;)

the 7 million if you have plenty of lenses

How do they compare to the Think Tank retrospective? The Think Tank is less conspicuous, which I like.

The most I would carry in this is a 1d2 with a 200 L (2.8 obv), a second shorter lens and maybe an extra battery or flash. I want something somewhat smaller, but most of the ones I am now finding that fit pro-dslr's are pretty big bags.

ridindirty
THREAD ­ STARTER
260 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 27, 2011 11:20 |  #5

ben_r_ wrote in post #13008717 (external link)
Dont have a recommendation for you, but I did want to say that every time I have tried owning a sling type of bag, once Ive got gear in it I cant carry it too long before my shoulder or neck start to hurt. Have you tried this style, loaded and for a length of time? For me backpacks are the only way to go.

I carry a bag like this every day. Carry it over your opposite shoulder, you should be fine. :)

diabolus
90 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Aug 27, 2011 12:38 |  #6

Think Tank Retospective 20. It'll fit everything you listed (and more) and does not look like a camera bag at all

EOS 5DII | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 1.4x II TC | 580EX II

ridindirty
THREAD ­ STARTER
260 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 27, 2011 14:39 |  #7

diabolus wrote in post #13009110 (external link)
Think Tank Retospective 20. It'll fit everything you listed (and more) and does not look like a camera bag at all

Yeah, I really like the look of it. However, the price point of the Crumpler is very appealing.

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Aug 27, 2011 15:49 |  #8

I have the Passport, it does not fit a 1D series at all. The insert for a camera can just fit a 5D2 with 24-70 attached.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Aug 27, 2011 16:06 |  #9

diabolus wrote in post #13009110 (external link)

I agree, I think a retrospective 10 would be too tight, 20 or 30 would be perfect.

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

ridindirty
THREAD ­ STARTER
260 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 28, 2011 17:39 |  #10

Will the 5 million dollar home be large enough for what I need? Is there a quality difference between the Crumpler and the Think Tank?

texshooter
649 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 28, 2011 17:47 as a reply to  @ ridindirty's post |  #11

I read that Saddleback Leather Co. is designing a camera satchel. I'm waiting to see what they come up with. It would be perfect when you don't want to look like you're carrying camera gear. It will probably look something like this

http://www.saddlebackl​eather.com …her-Satchel-Large-Tobacco (external link)

ridindirty
THREAD ­ STARTER
260 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 28, 2011 18:50 |  #12

texshooter wrote in post #13015220 (external link)
I read that Saddleback Leather Co. is designing a camera satchel. I'm waiting to see what they come up with. It would be perfect when you don't want to look like you're carrying camera gear. It will probably look something like this

http://www.saddlebackl​eather.com …her-Satchel-Large-Tobacco (external link)

Wow. Nice looking product, but a little ostentatious for me. No offense intended, its certainly beautiful.

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Aug 28, 2011 23:20 |  #13

Hard Drive Disk wrote in post #13009985 (external link)
I agree, I think a retrospective 10 would be too tight, 20 or 30 would be perfect.

The Retrospective 20 is 2.25" taller than the Retrospective 10. They are the same width and depth. As long as your lens or lens with camera mounted isn't taller than 9.5", the Retro 10 will be fine. The Retro 30 is the same height and depth as the 10, but it is 3" wider.

I just got a Retrospective 10 a few days ago. I took it to Fontainebleau State Park (external link) yesterday for some sunset shooting. There are two dividers inside which separate the main compartment into three columns.

I carried a 50D with Canon 17-55 f/2.8 attached in one column, a Sigma 10-20 and Sigma 30mm in the second column, and a Canon 70-200 f/4 in the third column. I put a remote release cable in one of the small inside side pockets. I had 2 B+W filters and Canon 20D body in the front pocket. I had a small flashlight, extra batteries, and extra CF cards in the outside side pockets. I have a Benro Travel Angel that folds to 13", and I can lay that across the top of the center compartment and close the flap over it. It's great as long as I'm only walking, but not secure enough for climbing on rocks like I did yesterday.

This is slightly different equipment that listed above, but I can fit all of this stuff inside:

IMAGE: http://www.msbphoto.com/img/v29/p578043333-4.jpg

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 29, 2011 04:54 |  #14

My retro 20 bag is a gem, 5d w/ 24-70 attached, 50mm and 580exII on the left and I got the 70-200 2.8 in there as well. Really durable and looks great too

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

LostInInaka
500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 29, 2011 09:10 |  #15

Just got the retrospective 30 today and must say it is an amazing bag! From the outside it looks big, but when you open it up it looks HUGE! It is very similar to my Urban Disguise 60v2 (minus the space for the 17" lapop) is terms of size, but I honestly think I can fit more gear in here.

Will be my go-to bag for my upcoming Taiwan/Cambodia trip

5DmkIII | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L mk II | Canon 24mm f/1.4L mk II | Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L mk II | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS mk II | + Misc
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,885 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recommend me an over the shoulder sling bag please
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.