Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 28 Aug 2011 (Sunday) 06:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Houseparty - Feedback appreciated

Profrefresh
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 28, 2011 06:42 |  #1

Hi there,

Have been playing around with my speedlite a bit recently and took it to a party lastnight. Im trying to improve my photography so any comments regarding composition, settings, PP etc are most welcome...

http://www.flickr.com …8/sets/72157627​412025523/ (external link)

Thanks

sponsored links
Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 28, 2011 06:52 |  #2

Welcome to POTN - Now may I suggest that you select one or two of your pictures and post them in the thread. By doing so, you'll very likely receive more helpful critique.

David

David

Profrefresh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 28, 2011 11:55 as a reply to  @ Woodworker's post |  #3

Sure, how about this one?

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6184/6088695568_c4dc6491ae_b.jpg

Bryan ­ Grant ­ Photography
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 28, 2011 12:15 |  #4

skin tones are red watch your WB if you use a stoffen and bounce off the ceiling or use that little white card sliddy or bounce card and point it at a 45 you can fill the mid tones better and help with the back ground light

"canon---- there is no substitute"
My photography Blog (external link)

Profrefresh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 29, 2011 05:00 as a reply to  @ Bryan Grant Photography's post |  #5

Thanks for the input, used a stofen with a full CTO gel which was I was trying to point at 45 degrees with my left hand. When you say watch the WB do you mean it is too warm which is why the skin tones are red?

Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 29, 2011 09:32 |  #6

the skin is way too red/magenta. and you can keep te flash on camera no need to and hold

Bangtwister
163 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 29, 2011 09:55 |  #7

Hi, I have taken lots of pics like this with my old 400D. I use manual mode and start with ISO 400, AV 5.6, and 1/80th TV. Thats my start off point, i adjust as needed. I bounce the flash of the ceiling or use a gary fong diffuser if no ceiling. I adjust the ISO to 800 or even 1600 to bring in the ambient light. I like to play with the flash to either + or - depending on scene. Your last pic was fine people wise but needed some ambient light. Oh yeah I also shoot 2nd curtain synch too and in RAW. Thats in your custom menu. Hope that helps :) If you can stretch to a 50mm 1.8 Prime, thats great too for party pics:)

Canon 7D, Canon 400D, Canon G10, Canon G5X, Canon 24 - 70 lens, Canon 50 1.8 lens, Canon 1.4, Tamron 18 - 270, Canon 100mm Macro, Canon 10 - 22 Wide angle, Canon 90 - 300mm, Sigma 24 - 200 2.8, Canon 430EX Speedlight MK 2. Photoshop Elements 12, Lightroom 5, LR Time-lapse 4.

Profrefresh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 29, 2011 13:24 as a reply to  @ Bangtwister's post |  #8

Thanks, pretty much the same settings I was using, 2nd curtain flash, RAW, stofen omnibounce diffuser as the ceiling was very high. Any recommendations on correcting the skintones, just adjusting the WB in lightroom?

Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 29, 2011 20:40 |  #9

turn your photo editing on

phazelag
44 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Aug 29, 2011 22:08 |  #10

There is no question the TTL flash made these photos look nice because the people are properly exposed for most part and they are bright and crisp. I checked out your flickr feed. And you were trying the right stuff! Great job! I would say next if buy a 6 ft coiled TTL cable and mount it on a monopod for a few shots. Also slower shutter for 2nd curtain and rotate your camera for some more fun! Its not the greatest shot but this guy loved it!

IMAGE: http://www.scottzinda.com/photos/1123275709_iq6gM-M.jpg

Z
www.scottzinda.com (external link)

Profrefresh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 04, 2011 09:00 as a reply to  @ phazelag's post |  #11

Cool, thanks for the feedback, will definitely try capture a bit more motion next time.

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 04, 2011 21:07 |  #12

Hey, I tend to have a red face like that after a few beers and dancing!

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

sponsored links

1,686 views & 0 likes for this thread
Houseparty - Feedback appreciated
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.