Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Aug 2011 (Monday) 11:21
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What crop shield do you use?"
I chose - 0% (No darker)
0%
I chose - 1-20%
0%
I chose - 21-40%
0%
I chose - 41-60%
0%
I chose - 61-80%
33.3%
I chose - 81-99%
41.7%
I chose - 100% (Completely black)
0%
Depends on the image. I change it.
16.7%
Program default - 0% (No darker)
8.3%
Program default - 1-20%
0%
Program default - 21-40%
0%
Program default - 41-60%
0%
Program default - 61-80%
0%
Program default - 81-99%
0%
Program default - 100% (Completely black)
0%

12 voters, 12 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Crop shield - settings you use

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,359 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 29, 2011 11:11 |  #16

I can't vote because I've never really checked. It's whatever the program decides it to be. I have no idea what that is though.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
Jonta
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 29, 2011 12:49 |  #17

nrowensby wrote in post #13018826 (external link)
Your first post says nothing about this being research for a new image editing software option... it says, "Crop shield - settings you use" even in the linked thread's OP you just explain what "Crop Shield" is and asks what settings people use.

Kept it shorter to up the chance of it being read. Remedied.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 29, 2011 13:31 |  #18

I'd suggest that if your first choice was "I don't know -- I've never messed with it." that you may get a more indivative response:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

nrowensby
Goldmember
3,996 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 29, 2011 13:56 |  #19

tonylong wrote in post #13019457 (external link)
I'd suggest that if your first choice was "I don't know -- I've never messed with it." that you may get a more indivative response:)!

Or atleast tell us what the defaults are in each program...

--Nick's Marketplace Feedback--
[Insert witty quote here]

Jonta
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 30, 2011 12:30 |  #20

tonylong wrote in post #13019457 (external link)

Heh, not really something I wanted. Wanted people to either not vote, or nudge them into finding out :)

nrowensby wrote in post #13019608 (external link)
Or atleast tell us what the defaults are in each program...

Jonta wrote in post #12897114 (external link)
Defaults:
Adobe Photoshop: 75%
GIMP: 50%
Picasa: 38%

Hm?

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,359 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 30, 2011 13:19 |  #21

Just out of curiosity, why is this important? Are there values that are better or worse? I'm just asking to see if I'm missing out on something.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Aug 30, 2011 13:29 |  #22

Where is the I don't care because it doesn't matter button? I just set my crop tool on the corner where I wish to crop and go....I don't use a shield.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Jonta
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Aug 30, 2011 14:08 |  #23

gjl711: That's what I'm trying to find out :)

Woolburr: Then this poll is not for you, unless that makes your choice "I chose - 0% (no darker)"

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 30, 2011 15:58 as a reply to  @ Jonta's post |  #24

tim wrote in post #12899722 (external link)
I use pieces of cardboard help up to my monitor.

Ah....but is your cardboard calibrated as well as your monitor.

Ask a dozen different users what they use and you can very well get a dozen different answers because it can be user defined in CS5 to any color you want at any opacity percentage. I don't see the value in having all those "I chose" options when it should have read something to the effect of do you want system fixed options, ie. you would have a few fixed colors and opacity levels or do you want it totally flexible in a user defined environment.

A new image editing program, good luck with that against what is already available.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 30, 2011 16:03 |  #25

Jonta wrote in post #13024924 (external link)
Heh, not really something I wanted. Wanted people to either not vote, or nudge them into finding out :)Hm?

Well, I do my cropping in a Raw processor, mostly Lightroom, occasionally DPP, and only very occasionally in Adobe Camera Raw.

Now in Lightroom the only "way" I see of changing your "crop shield" is by going into one of the "Lights Out" (LO) display modes -- click the L key and you will cycle through Normal and then two LO modes. In "normal" your crop shield is, well, whatever -- maybe similar to the Photoshop default, I don't know. The first LO setting darkens everything -- the "shield" is a very dark gray. In the second LO mode everything but the working cropped preview turns black.

In other words, LR users can't give a meaningful poll answer, unless you really want us all just arbitratily clicking the "Default 0" option.

DPP has, interestingly enough, a slider for the opacity of the shield in the actual trimming tool window. I guess I had seen it but never messed with it. It's there, it works, but has no actual value shown, so a DPP user can't choose one of the poll answers unless you provide meaningful choices.

Camera Raw has the same Raw processing "engine" that Lightroom has, but as far as I can tell does not have the Lights Out feature. At least in my older CS3 version, hitting the "L" key gave me a surprise -- it rotated an image by 90 degrees, meaning I needed to click it three more times:)!

Now, for reference, I do have Photoshop CS3 and occasionally open it for one reason or another. But, the only time I recall cropping an image in PS in recent years was when I was working on a project involving multiple images (HDR, blended, Panorama and collage-type projects typically need cropping). So, I can either do that in Photoshop or do it to the "finished" tiff/psd/jpeg in Lightroom. I think I've done both, although it's been quite a while.

And, I'm one of those (I've never messed with it because I've never wanted or needed something other than the default" type of folks. I understand that for some people it could be useful to either darken or lighten it and so they may see some meaning/relevance to the poll, but for those of us who genuinely don't care, well if there is not a choice reflecting that we may chat a bit but likely won't post a choice since nothing really seems to apply to us.

FYI, I did look in Photoshop and, yeah, even though I virtually never use the crop tool, I did note that the Opacity was set to the 75% setting, the default which I've never actually looked at:).

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Jonta
THREAD ­ STARTER
540 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Sep 07, 2011 03:07 |  #26

ssim wrote in post #13025969 (external link)
Ask a dozen different users what they use and you can very well get a dozen different answers because it can be user defined in CS5 to any color you want at any opacity percentage.

Only going to support black here. I doubt very much that a significant portion of users use anything but black, and only know of the option in APS and APS Extended. Also: The idea is to have One Opacity To Rule Them Allâ„¢, and if any colour but black were chosen, one would almost certainly run into the problem of the image having a similar colour to the crop shield.

I don't see the value in having all those "I chose" options when it should have read something to the effect of do you want system fixed options, ie. you would have a few fixed colors and opacity levels or do you want it totally flexible in a user defined environment.

Having "I chose" vs "Program default" gives an indication of whether people mind a lot. "I chose" weighs more heavily than the latter.

Also: If you ask users, they'll always tend to say that they want choice, even if they don't need it. They want to keep their options open.

Short from a study:
1: Users asked to pick functions a CD-player/radio should have, out of a list of 21. Average: 19 were picked.
2: Users asked if they wanted a CD-player/radio with 21 functions, or with 7 functions. Most picked the one with 21. After two weeks, they got the offer of switching to the one with 7. Most, if not all, did.

A new image editing program, good luck with that against what is already available.

Why thank you! I have a cunning plan (external link).

tonylong wrote in post #13025992 (external link)
Now in Lightroom the only "way" I see of changing your "crop shield" is by going into one of the "Lights Out" (LO) display modes -- click the L key and you will cycle through Normal and then two LO modes. In "normal" your crop shield is, well, whatever -- maybe similar to the Photoshop default, I don't know. The first LO setting darkens everything -- the "shield" is a very dark gray. In the second LO mode everything but the working cropped preview turns black.

In other words, LR users can't give a meaningful poll answer, unless you really want us all just arbitratily clicking the "Default 0" option.

Hm, hadn't thought of that. Haven't used LR you see. I'd suggest "I chose" and then whatever the user uses the most.

DPP has, interestingly enough, a slider for the opacity of the shield in the actual trimming tool window. I guess I had seen it but never messed with it. It's there, it works, but has no actual value shown, so a DPP user can't choose one of the poll answers unless you provide meaningful choices.

Hm, found some screenshots of it, and see what you mean. But I do thing I've provided the most meaningful choices, a DPP-user would have to guess at the percentage range.

Or did you have more meaningful choices in mind?

Thanks for a great answer!

sponsored links

3,888 views & 0 likes for this thread
Crop shield - settings you use
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.