Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 29 Aug 2011 (Monday) 07:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cable to use on PA system.

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 29, 2011 07:37 |  #1

anyone here using the Zoom H1? recently made a purchased on this digital audio recorder and have been testing it out. my main reason for using this is to record the bride/groom saying their vows. i'm not a video guy, but wanted to add some voice of them into their still images slideshow. currently using a wired lav into the Zoom H1 inside the groom pocket. I would like to plug it into the PA system during the ceremony. I wanted to know which cable do I need to have if I want to go this route. the Zoom H1 input is a 3.5mm. shuold I be looking for XLR to 3.5mm cable?

TIA.

johnlo

johnlo photography :
personal blog: http://www.jklimagery.​com (external link)
My Gear List

sponsored links
Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 29, 2011 09:09 |  #2

you need the output, not an input. If it's a stereo recorder, then you need a 3.5mm to 2 1/4" as a stereo split, usually.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

johnlo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 29, 2011 09:46 |  #3

Chippy569 wrote in post #13018186 (external link)
you need the output, not an input. If it's a stereo recorder, then you need a 3.5mm to 2 1/4" as a stereo split, usually.

yes its stereo recorder. so something like this?!

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Stereo_Mini_Ma​le_to.html (external link)

wat about this one??

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Stereo_Mini_Ma​le_to.html (external link)

johnlo photography :
My Gear List

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 29, 2011 10:55 |  #4

the first one you posted is the one you need.

Gear List

johnlo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 29, 2011 11:45 |  #5

Chippy569 wrote in post #13018769 (external link)

thanks. :)

johnlo photography :
My Gear List

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 29, 2011 13:03 |  #6

Chippy569 wrote in post #13018769 (external link)

Perhaps. Churches are always strapped for cash and, as a result tend to have an exceptional array of PA systems from the very basic to the very advanced, spanning decades of technology.

You really need to have a look first to establish there is an available line level output from what ever system they are using.

If they have a full mixer desk you are best to ask who ever does their sound to sort you a line out as there could be umpteen different options subject to the complexity of the desk. If you try to pick up from the wrong bus and start twiddling things, to make it happen, you could quickly become very unpopular. Just because the plug fits in the hole doesn't mean it is the right hole to use. They may even have their own recording facilities and just give you a file on disc.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

johnlo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 29, 2011 13:39 |  #7

John Sims wrote in post #13019319 (external link)
Perhaps. Churches are always strapped for cash and, as a result tend to have an exceptional array of PA systems from the very basic to the very advanced, spanning decades of technology.

You really need to have a look first to establish there is an available line level output from what ever system they are using.

If they have a full mixer desk you are best to ask who ever does their sound to sort you a line out as there could be umpteen different options subject to the complexity of the desk. If you try to pick up from the wrong bus and start twiddling things, to make it happen, you could quickly become very unpopular. Just because the plug fits in the hole doesn't mean it is the right hole to use. They may even have their own recording facilities and just give you a file on disc.

thanks for the tip. using the lav on the groom is my #1 sourse for the audio. using the PA will be just an opinion, that's why i wanted to know which cable is needed. adding audio and some video clips is bonus for my clients. its not even in the contract. if it doesnt comes out good. it doesnt get use at all. :)

johnlo photography :
My Gear List

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 29, 2011 21:34 |  #8

even the cheapest PA mixer is going to have a stereo 1/4" input. You'd be hard pressed to find a mixer that doesn't.

Gear List

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 29, 2011 23:26 |  #9

I am a tech director at a church and have worked sound at a number of churches. I don't think there is a single answer to your question. I think you need:
- a 3.5mm stereo plug to two RCA plug cable plus:
- two RCA jacks to 1/4" adapters
- two RCA jacks to XLR female adapters

- a 3.5mm stereo plug to 1/4" stereo cable.

These used in combination should let you connect to just about anything.

The outputs from a mixer can be:
- RCA which will often be labeled "2 Track Output"
- 1/4" jack which could be an Aux, a Group or a split off the main outputs
- male XLR jacks which could come from an Aux, a Group or a split.

The final, can't figure out anything else option would be to use the 3.5mm to 1/4" stereo cable to a headphone jack from the mixer or some other device like a CD recorder. This is a little risky as the headphone out is a pretty hot signal and can easily overload the line input of your recorder.

If you talk to the sound guy and ask for an output most will be able to get you one.

Be careful of your level. It needs to never clip (go to the top or far right of the meters) peaks should be in the -6db range.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Aug 30, 2011 03:57 |  #10

Chippy569 wrote in post #13021770 (external link)
even the cheapest PA mixer is going to have a stereo 1/4" input. You'd be hard pressed to find a mixer that doesn't.

You might be better of using and output though ;)

Agreed that there may well be a headphone or control room out but, and many mixers have RCA recording outs as well, but using either of these (assuming they are available and not being used already) isn't necessarily just a case of sticking the plug in the hole.

And then it might not be a mixer at all it could be a mixer amp, or it could be powered mixer which could give you a really hot signal if you got the wrong output. Or it might be a full rack of gear which could give you a dozen different output options. Do you want the pre mix of post mix signal etc.

My home mixer is only a baby http://www.youtube.com …feature=player_​detailpage (external link) and while that could provide several options on a recording signal (if you include the Aux of FX busses or channel I/O's (very tricky)) aside the USB you would really only want to use the recording out for recording (Funny that).

Bob is spot on on his choice of cables/connectors IMHO and I think we all agree that the best option is to ask first.

If it was something I was doing regularly I think, for ease of integration, I would get a little http://www.behringer.c​om/EN/Products/HA400.a​spx (external link) that way you can share the head phone or Control Room out and allow everyone to set their levels as desired - you would still need a bag full of cables and connectors though, just in case. And the headphone out isn't going to work if there is a sound man who solo's out channels for checking.

In summary, it could be tricky.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

johnlo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 30, 2011 06:59 |  #11

thanks for the info. really appreciated!!!

bpalermini wrote in post #13022411 (external link)
If you talk to the sound guy and ask for an output most will be able to get you one.

i think i might just do that instead if i cant Lav the groom.

John Sims wrote in post #13023220 (external link)
you would still need a bag full of cables and connectors

No way! Got enough bags of camera equipments to deal with.

Thx.
john

johnlo photography :
My Gear List

sponsored links

2,151 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cable to use on PA system.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.