Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 17:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Opinions on Filters?

newphoto
360 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 29, 2011 10:42 |  #31

The Canon L series wide angle zooms all recommend a filter to seal against dust or sand. The lens element move back and forth in the barrel and is not sealed. Also when using a wide angle it is easier to touch the front glass against something in the foreground or with your greasy fingers. I think it is not arguable that a cheap filter degrades image quality; however, the B+W UV extra wide (to avoid vignetting) filters I use on my wide angles do not. I do not use filters on my telephotos, just the hoods.

Colin in Oklahoma
6D, 5D III, 16-35 L IS, 24-105 L IS, Macro 100 L IS, 100-400 L IS, 500 F4 L IS II, 1.4 Canon Extender III

sponsored links
Canonman47
261 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2006

Aug 30, 2011 13:41 |  #32

sandpiper wrote in post #13014414 (external link)
Yeah, like I say it is personal preference and you should do what makes you feel comfortable.

I have several lenses that get used in the rain, from fully sealed to totally unsealed and have (so far) had no issues from water damage. Two of my lenses are the partially protected ones you mention (24-105L and 100-400L) which Canon recommends filters for, to complete the seal.

Although mine are used in the rain and have had a fair soaking on many occasions, they don't get filters slapped on to add to the sealing. I am perfectly happy just using the hoods like I always do, as they keep the rain off the front element almost entirely. I personally am comfortable with the fact that the hoods keep the front element dry enough that extra sealing with a filter isn't an issue. So long as the front lens element is only getting odd drops hitting it, which I can wipe off easily and carry on, I am happy with the standard sealing. Sure, there have been occasions when the rain has been at sufficient angle to start to land regularly on the front of the lens, but when that is happening I can't get a good shot anyway due to the distortion caused shooting through raindrops, so I will stop shooting until I can find an angle where the lens isn't getting the front element soaked.

A filter would only be of use (to my mind) if I am in a situation where I can't get a usable shot anyway, due to too much water on the front glass. So far, on the odd occasions that the front element has got a good soaking I haven't suffered any problems due to moisture getting inside.

I am not saying that you are wrong and I am right, far from it, It is just the way I feel about filters based on over 30 years of using (and abusing) SLRs and lenses. There is no right or wrong on this matter, everybody should make the choice they feel happy with.

I totally agree with that, it boils down to personal preferences, you're reasoning is interesting. Lots of factors factor in here: Rain, seawater and so on.

Canonman47:cool:
Save the camera and motive, the photographer is already disabled!

MKIV, G1 X, Macro 100mm, 24-105mm, Canon 8-15mm, 70-300mm, Sigma 150-500mm, next: TS-E 24/II

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 30, 2011 13:48 |  #33

I didn't bother to have an UV filter on my 15-85 lens, untill last week end. Photographing a wedding. Was shooting a little 2 year old qute boy, when he suddenly throw a rock on my camera and hit the lens.

No big dammage, but I did got a tiny scratch on the glas. only the length of 2 mm... but enough to give me some PP work in certain light condition.

Now I have ordered some BW filters...

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 30, 2011 13:57 |  #34

kent andersen wrote in post #13025302 (external link)
I didn't bother to have an UV filter on my 15-85 lens, untill last week end. Photographing a wedding. Was shooting a little 2 year old qute boy, when he suddenly throw a rock on my camera and got the lens.

No big dammage, but I did got a tiny scratch on the glas. only the length of 2 mm... but enough to give me some PP work in certain light condition.

Now I have ordered some BW filters...

You should consider that a lens element is far tougher than filter glass, any rock coming in hard enough to mark the element isn't going to be stopped by a thin sliver of glass. I have seen lenses with filters hit by small stones which just go clean through the filter and still hit the lens, but now accompanied by dozens of needle sharp shards of glass.

I have never known a filter actually save a lens in this sort of situation, but I have seen a couple of cases where the filter made things a whole lot worse by shattering into the front element.

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 30, 2011 14:59 |  #35

kent andersen wrote in post #13025302 (external link)
I didn't bother to have an UV filter on my 15-85 lens, untill last week end. Photographing a wedding. Was shooting a little 2 year old qute boy, when he suddenly throw a rock on my camera and hit the lens.

I had a similar issue last winter. I was taking a picture of one of my son's friends playing in the snow when he picked up a snow ball and whipped it at me.. hit the lens. I had a hood and filter on. The filter did get hit (e.g., the hood offered little to no protection).

The ironic part: when I cleaned the Hoya multicoat filter with lens cleaner, I ruined it and have not yet replaced it. Hoya multicoat filters should be cleaned with plain water.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 30, 2011 15:01 |  #36

sandpiper wrote in post #13025338 (external link)
but I have seen a couple of cases where the filter made things a whole lot worse by shattering into the front element.

Pictures please.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,520 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Aug 30, 2011 15:05 |  #37

+1 I wanna see the filters shattering the front element.

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 30, 2011 15:14 |  #38

hairy_moth wrote in post #13025655 (external link)
Pictures please.

Why would I have pictures? I am not interested in photographing other people's broken filters and scratched elements.

Vixen89 wrote in post #13025690 (external link)
+1 I wanna see the filters shattering the front element.

Please read what I actually wrote. At no point did I mention a filter shattering a front element (I can't even begin to imagine how such a thing would even be possible).

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 30, 2011 15:17 |  #39

hairy_moth wrote in post #13025655 (external link)
Pictures please.

It's interesting that this particular anecdote has gained quite a following here recently, though no one has produced any proof that that has happened, much less happen on a chronic level suggesting it's "common." Somewhere a few months ago "shattered filter glass shards" became a serious concern by even more serious individuals and these stories have taken on a life of their own. Now, the "shards concern" is commonplace in these threads, but a few years ago it was non-existant. I'd like to know what recent events have led to the panic.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

StarTzar
426 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 30, 2011 15:17 |  #40

hairy_moth wrote in post #13025643 (external link)
I had a similar issue last winter. I was taking a picture of one of my son's friends playing in the snow when he picked up a snow ball and whipped it at me.. hit the lens. I had a hood and filter on. The filter did get hit (e.g., the hood offered little to no protection).

The ironic part: when I cleaned the Hoya multicoat filter with lens cleaner, I ruined it and have not yet replaced it. Hoya multicoat filters should be cleaned with plain water.

It's a good thing that there wasn't a piece of ice in the snow ball.
Had it been the case, the piece of ice could potentially have caused the filter to shatter and the shattered filter could have caused damage to the lens.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 30, 2011 15:19 |  #41

Tada!

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 30, 2011 15:24 |  #42

StarTzar wrote in post #13025791 (external link)
It's a good thing that there wasn't a piece of ice in the snow ball.
Had it been the case, the piece of ice could potentially have caused the filter to shatter and the shattered filter could have caused damage to the lens.

Yup, there's a chance of that, i think slightly less of a chance than winning the power-ball lottery. I haven't seen a documented case of it yet, though the legend abounds.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Aug 30, 2011 15:32 |  #43

Google is bending, but not breaking. Good luck guys.

- James -
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Aug 30, 2011 15:51 |  #44

Indecent Exposure wrote in post #13025783 (external link)
It's interesting that this particular anecdote has gained quite a following here recently, though no one has produced any proof that that has happened, much less happen on a chronic level suggesting it's "common." Somewhere a few months ago "shattered filter glass shards" became a serious concern by even more serious individuals and these stories have taken on a life of their own. Now, the "shards concern" is commonplace in these threads, but a few years ago it was non-existant. I'd like to know what recent events have led to the panic.

As for 'proof', I have seen a couple of photos posted by people showing a shattered filter and the glass still against the lens element, with scratches on the element from the glass.

Equally though, I have never seen anybody post any proof of a filter saving a lens from damage either. We see examples of people saying that their lens was saved by a filter, because the filter broke, but as filters take damage much more easily than lens elements, the lens would almost certainly have been fine anyway.

Again, I don't recall anyone calling this a "common" occurrence. I have personally seen two examples over the last thirty years, where broken filter glass has scratched an element.

I quite agree though, that many are passing on the shards warning simply because they have read it in forums and so the story can take on a life of it's own as you say. However, is that any different from all the people who have read that you "must use a filter to protect your lens" and pass that on as gospel?

This thread asked for opinions on filters, I have given my opinion based on over 30 years of experience ill-treating my gear, often in less than ideal conditions without the "benefit" of filters. I have dented lenses in the past, dented bodies too, but never actually managed to scratch an element yet. In that time, I have seen several filters that have been broken and, on two occasions, seen the resulting scratches on an element. That has also affected my opinion.

Others are welcome to put forward an opposing opinion, based on their experiences, that way the OP (and others) can read the differing opinions and make a judgement on whether or not they wish to use filters. As I have said earlier in this thread, the decision is a personal one and everybody should decide for themselves. I am not trying to stop people using them, merely giving my opinion and experience.

I cannot 'prove' the broken filters and scratched lenses, I'm sorry, I realise now I should have had the foresight to photograph them, so that I could prove that it happened a few years later. I have no interest in proving my experience and opinion, I simply offer it for consideration. However, please feel free to show me a photo showing a filter that definitely saved a front element from damage, as I have never seen one (I'm sure it must have happened, I just haven't seen any proof).

StarTzar
426 posts
Joined May 2010

Aug 30, 2011 15:51 |  #45

hairy_moth wrote in post #13025823 (external link)
Yup, there's a chance of that, i think slightly less of a chance than winning the power-ball lottery. I haven't seen a documented case of it yet, though the legend abounds.

Hummmmmmm..... what's that saying.......
something about a a snowball's chance in Heaven.....
or something to that effect......

sponsored links

6,103 views & 0 likes for this thread
Opinions on Filters?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.