Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 May 2011 (Thursday) 16:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Review: Benro C2680T travel tripod

nikesupremedunk
Goldmember
1,131 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 16, 2011 00:56 |  #46

i'm in the market for a tripod and this benro c2680t seem like it's a great deal. i'm thinking of getting the $350 deal from holgacamera for the b1 head and the tripod...good idea or not? I want something light and small so i can take it with me anywhere.

| Andrew | 5D Mark II | EOS-M | Canon 17-40mm f 4 L | Canon 35mm f 1.4 L | Canon 100mm f 2.8 L Macro | Canon 70-200mm f 4 L IS | Canon EF-M 22mm f 2.0 | Speedlite 430EX II|

sponsored links
peter_n
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 17, 2011 12:55 |  #47

RiaGurl wrote in post #12942765 (external link)
im wondering why it's not on benro's site. are these benro's on ebay you linked legit? i know that benros is the cheapmans gitzo, but are these ebay listings for 370-420 vs amazon or bh photos listings a benro knockoff or something?

If you are looking at Benro's USA web site then you are missing half the products that Benro make. It's better to look at Benro's Chinese web sites and source the tripod directly from China through an eBay dealer. Unfortunately Benro seem to have only one bloke working on their web sites in China as it takes quite a while for the English-language side to get updated with the models on the Chinese-language side. Even then there are mistakes in the specs, it can be quite annoying. And they don't fix the mistakes.

Anyway the C2692TB1 model that Gordon linked to on an eBay dealers page is manufactured by Benro and here is the web page for it on the Chinese-language side of their web site (external link). I'm sure it will appear on the English-language side soon. BTW I don't agree with your description of Benro as the cheap man's Gitzo; Benro build quality is pretty good.

i am thinking of getting the markins quick release plate because it is antitwist. i am going to mount it to the grip of any of my camera bodies. in a way it's generic. looking at the markins 50 or whatever it is called.

I'm a huge fan of Markins clamps but not their plates. You look at the top of that plate and it is plain metal with just a bit of a lip on it. Underneath there is no cutout for your clamp to use if the clamp has a safety detent pin. If you want a true universal plate that will work well on a number of cameras get the Wimberley P-5 (external link). I have a small number of universal plates and the Wimberley is by far the best.

i am guessing it will work with the b1 ballhead. heaviest lens camera combo might be the abr800 ringflash with the gripped 7d and 100mm.

Using a gripped camera on a tripod considerably reduces rigidity at the top.

nikesupremedunk wrote in post #12943250 (external link)
i'm in the market for a tripod and this benro c2680t seem like it's a great deal. i'm thinking of getting the $350 deal from holgacamera for the b1 head and the tripod...good idea or not? I want something light and small so i can take it with me anywhere.

Yep, good idea... :)

~Peter

RiaGurl
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 17, 2011 21:13 |  #48

all that info is great, but for the plate, i am looking for an antitwist plate. is there any better one than markins for the grip of a 7d or other canon slr grip?

VictoRia:roll::D
Canon 20D,40D gripped,50D gripped,7D gripped
A flash for each^. 2x580EX II, 1x430EX II, 550EX
Bunch of glass.:)
Bunch of accessories.

LostInInaka
500 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 30, 2011 09:59 |  #49

I have the C2691 and just got to the CSC2 short center myself, and indeed it is an awesome setup...

however, I am disappointed that the base on the short center doesn't unscrew, meaning it can't be used for the monopod leg unfortunately

also doesn't let the legs close as tightly as they did before because the base is also a bit wider

5DmkIII | Rokinon 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L mk II | Canon 24mm f/1.4L mk II | Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L mk II | Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS mk II | + Misc
flickr (external link)

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 30, 2011 20:23 |  #50

LostInInaka wrote in post #13024226 (external link)
I have the C2691 and just got to the CSC2 short center myself, and indeed it is an awesome setup...

however, I am disappointed that the base on the short center doesn't unscrew, meaning it can't be used for the monopod leg unfortunately

also doesn't let the legs close as tightly as they did before because the base is also a bit wider

I think that was really made for the full-sized tripods. The C-257 and C-258 use the same sized mounting base. The Travel Angels use the same sized tubing as those so the CSC2 fits. The legs were never supposed to close around it, either. You might try messaging an Ebay seller and see if you can get a smaller base. I know for a while dc-stuffs was the only seller with the complete set for a while. All the other sellers sold the CF tube only and you had to swap your own base over. He probably has access to them since he was the only one including a base and hook.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

whu-1
80 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Aug 31, 2011 09:42 |  #51

hi , peter g8 write up helped a lot , with the Benro thing Gitzo ,Benro Carbon Travel Angle now have 8 layers of carbon fibre , layed in a new way for 1/3 the price :-) know what im buying , thanks for the nude peter :lol:

whu-1
80 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 01, 2011 03:37 |  #52

hi peter got a quite quetion are the Are the

Benro Trans-Functional Carbon Travel Angle with B Head C1691TB0
And
Manfrotto 701HDV Pro Fluid Video Mini Head
Compatible ?
i know it might not fold but will it fit ?

cheers ...............

p.s since you like taking stuff apart so much some of this "anti seize nickel loctite" might be the go , you will not find it recomened by tripod ppls but it works wonders on most things ..........threads , bushed etc ( stuff get every were so use the smallest of small drops on non exposed contacting surfaces) one tub will last a life time lol

peter_n
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 01, 2011 06:41 |  #53

whu-1 wrote in post #13034395 (external link)
Benro Trans-Functional Carbon Travel Angle with B Head C1691TB0 and Manfrotto 701HDV Pro Fluid Video Mini Head. Compatible? i know it might not fold but will it fit ?

There's a standard connection on most tripods and heads; a 3/8 inch threaded stud on the tripod base and a 3/8 inch female socket in the head. So yes, the Manfrotto video head will go on the Benro tripod.

I also find blue Loctite very useful. :)

~Peter

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 18, 2011 17:58 |  #54

Peter -- if you have the time, interest, and a laser pointer would you be able to mount the laser pointer to the top of one of your cameras and then take a longish exposure of the beam as it hits a wall? (I imagine a binder clip would work to keep the pointer on for the duration of the exposure.)

I was curious to see what the result would be, but I know this could take some time to set up... so "no" is an acceptable response here!

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 18, 2011 18:01 |  #55

tigerotor77w wrote in post #13123628 (external link)
Peter -- if you have the time, interest, and a laser pointer would you be able to mount the laser pointer to the top of one of your cameras and then take a longish exposure of the beam as it hits a wall? (I imagine a binder clip would work to keep the pointer on for the duration of the exposure.)

I was curious to see what the result would be, but I know this could take some time to set up... so "no" is an acceptable response here!

He'd have to take the picture with another camera; if the laser's firmly mounted to the camera on the tripod the beam will stay still relative to the sensor. You need to capture its motion from an outside frame of reference. Or mount the laser pointer on an independent support and take a picture from the camera on the tripod being tested.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

peter_n
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 18, 2011 23:06 |  #56

tigerotor77w wrote in post #13123628 (external link)
Peter -- if you have the time, interest, and a laser pointer would you be able to mount the laser pointer to the top of one of your cameras and then take a longish exposure of the beam as it hits a wall?

Not quite sure why you want to do this but I don't have a laser pointer. Maybe someone else who uses this tripod could try it?

~Peter

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 19, 2011 01:45 |  #57

Jon wrote in post #13123650 (external link)
He'd have to take the picture with another camera; if the laser's firmly mounted to the camera on the tripod the beam will stay still relative to the sensor.

:lol:

Yes, this is very true and is what happens when an idea pops into my head when I'm excessively tired! For longer exposures (order of 1 s), I think large enough vibrations of the tripod or head would show a beam spot that's larger than the actual beam spot of the laser, but this would take some massive vibrations (unlikely to be the fault of tripod or head). So... this idea for a tripod test is also flawed.

peter_n wrote in post #13125102 (external link)
Not quite sure why you want to do this but I don't have a laser pointer. Maybe someone else who uses this tripod could try it?

Perhaps, but only if someone addresses the issue Jon pointed out above! It's rather significant. :o

I was curious about it because I want something to substantiate how various tripods compare... I wouldn't be upgrading anytime in the next three months, but as much as I want an RRS 24, I can't justify $950 for a tripod unless its performance advantage can be quantified.

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

peter_n
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,449 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 19, 2011 06:55 |  #58

Actually when I was posting to this thread a couple of weeks ago I was thinking that it would be interesting to see the results of a test between the 2680T and equivalent Gitzo travel tripod; something like what Neil Rothschild did on Nikonians with a Gitzo 3541LS and a RRS TVC-33. I think Neil has a lot of time though, I really don't and I certainly don't have the expertise. Which is why my review of the C2680T is focused on my experience with using it over a period of time and some simple comparisons with the competition. The only "test" I did was after a request earlier in the thread; tapping an extended C2680T and 1541T leg on the ground for vibration. That I could do.

~Peter

whu-1
80 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 20, 2011 04:16 |  #59

Thanks for the write up and tips , just ordered the Benro Trans-Functional Carbon Travel Angle with B Head C1681TB0 .
For what you get its a bargin at $330:D

cheers ......

if you intrest ill post on what i think about the Engineering and thread cutting , Tolerances
i know there made in china , but turn over you Iphones , guess what :lol:

at7815
67 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 22, 2011 18:25 as a reply to  @ whu-1's post |  #60

Peter, thanks for the review! I'm in the process of getting a light but sturdy tripod for travel and everyday use and this review has been particularly helpful. I'm going to be using the tripod for some nighttime photography with long exposures, 25 to 30 seconds, do you think this Benro would be sturdy enough for that?

Thanks!

sponsored links

120,262 views & 2 likes for this thread
Review: Benro C2680T travel tripod
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.